Thread: Hunting pack via the web?

Default Hunting pack via the web?

I know there are a LOT of threads about back packs and/or frames, but I'm looking for something I can order on the web to ship to my son-in-law in Cali. It's a birthday present getting them setup for when they move up here.
    Can ya'll suggest something? Pack, frame or combo. If i just have it shipped to him there, i can normally buy better gear and put the shipping cost into it instead of UPS's pocket.

Also, I'm going to be looking for me one. The Barney sounds like it's well liked, but is there a frame that is more liked than the others? I'm in Fairbanks so I haven't even SEEN a Barney's yet.

Thanks!

From what I understand Barney's is the best. However, if you want to buy online then Cabela's has a few nice one's. Alaskan Guides I think. I have those a fairly decent packs and not near as spendy.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Cabela's makes very serviceable frmaes and packs and they are a fraction of the cost. Barney's is a great place, easy to deal with and you can call them and they will set you up. Their "Freighter" is the best pack frame I'm aware of and they have a couple different packs for it. Personally I think the "Hunter" is about perfect, but they have a larger model packs and a smaller one too, I think. Just give them a call and they will be most helpful. Ordering from Barney's you can expect a frame and pack to be a touch over $600 with shipping, but it's worth every penny. Let us know what you pick and how your son-in-law likes it.

Default +1 on Barneys

Store full of great gear. And if you call them, it'll be just like the old days, I guess - with no website yet and all. Call 'em up to work something out. I think if Brett Barringer is working, he'd be happy to measure the packs they have for you - stuff like that if you're leaning toward a pack from Barney's.

Threads with pics and info for Barney's packs:
    1. Carnivore frame, Hunter bag:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=50151
    2. Capacities of several of their bags:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=57926
    3. More pics
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=64679

Other brands have fans on these forums too; Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch, Cabela's too.

Good luck.

Stout frame with lots of tie downs. The Alaskan model dosen't realy work well but the other can't be beat.

http://www.bullpacs.com/

You might want to take a look at www.mysteryranch.com

They make some great packs.

I live in Australia and I ordered:

1 x Hunter Bag
    1 x Freighter "Carnivore" Frame
    1 x Custom build a rain cover - Camo
    1 x Havalon Piranta Z Knife
    1pc Havalon Blades 100 ct. #60

from Bob Hodson at Barney's Sports Chalet. What a fanstatics guy, so helpful and friendly, and gave me really good advise.

Here's the website where you can order online, but I highly recommend calling and talking to them about your sons needs so they can offer you advise on the right frame and pack for him.

(URL edited out per owner request)

If you buy him a Barney's your buying him a pack that should serve him well for a lifetime.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 10-17-2009 at 09:58. Reason: owner request

Default Ell I be...

Barney's website is up...

Lawson - As I've been told, that dude, Bob Hodson, took over the business from Barney Seilers, and is the reason Barney's Sports Chalet enjoys it's stellar reputation - here and abroad it seems. Excellent service, excellent, field-tested products that Bob researches carefully. Thanks for posting - and the news about the website - - and best wishes with your gear.

Thumbs up A recommendation-

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    I know there are a LOT of threads about back packs and/or frames, but I'm looking for something I can order on the web to ship to my son-in-law in Cali. It's a birthday present getting them setup for when they move up here.
    Can ya'll suggest something? Pack, frame or combo. If i just have it shipped to him there, i can normally buy better gear and put the shipping cost into it instead of UPS's pocket.

Also, I'm going to be looking for me one. The Barney sounds like it's well liked, but is there a frame that is more liked than the others? I'm in Fairbanks so I haven't even SEEN a Barney's yet.

Thanks!
    Barney's site is not yet ready for viewing. I just spoke with Bob this morning (10/17/09) and he asked me to delete the URL from our site until he's ready. They do have a prototype / demo site up, but if you try to order from it, it will mess up their system somehow- that's what Bob told me.

If your son is coming to Alaska and plans to hunt here for very long, I STRONGLY urge you to purchase one of Bob's packs. You will get other recommendations for sure, but nobody will dispute that the Barney's packs are the best in the business. Almost all the guides I know use them. I have one that's nearly 20 years old and it has packed literally thousands of pounds of gear, rafts, meat, antlers, horns, capes and hides over the years. You will not have to replace this pack and frame.

Order it by calling Bob's shop in Anchorage at (907) 561-5242.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for all the replies!
    Here's how I THINK it will end up. I will get the Barneys. My son-in-law (nicknamed MeatHead) will get something less. lol Unless if this new baby that's coming along ends up another grandson. :-)

I'm hoping they will be moving up in the spring, so he may just have to wait and make a run to Anchorage with me when they get here.

Thanks again - can't wait for their website to go live!

I recently bought the mystery ranch NICE 6500 and I can't say enough good things about the pack. It sits tight to your back and doesn't sway when hiking. I loaded it up with 90 lbs and the pack carried the weight extremly well...plus the day lid which turns into a small pack allows for a summit/day trip with essential belongings...hope this helps

Richie

Get a Barney's. Mike is on point on this one. There's a reason most of the guides up here use them and I can't think of a stronger endorsement than Michael Strahan. Call the store and we will be happy to talk you through fitting it if you can't come in person to be fitted.

Brett

I've got a Kifaru Long Hunter internal frame pack and really like it. I've only packed out 1 bear and 1 caribou (2 trips). Got a friend that has the Barney's pack/frame and he likes it too, as do I. I had a really nice Cabela's Alaskan Guide pack/frame. I injured my back and went w/ the Kifaru since it is designed to place all of the weight on the hips and not the shoulder straps. I'm seriously looking at buying a Barney's too. I really miss the metal external frame.

Either Kifaru or Barney's packs. Either way your looking at 600.00 ea.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Get a Barney's. Mike is on point on this one. There's a reason most of the guides up here use them and I can't think of a stronger endorsement than Michael Strahan. Call the store and we will be happy to talk you through fitting it if you can't come in person to be fitted.

Brett
    Brett,
    Thanks, it'll be a few weeks now - just realized how much that autostart do-dad for my wife's far is gonna cost me. lol

steve

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    Brett,
    Thanks, it'll be a few weeks now - just realized how much that autostart do-dad for my wife's far is gonna cost me. lol

steve
    Unfortunately my Tundra is getting one as well this week. Think of all the hunting gear I could have bought with it instead!!!!

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    I injured my back and went w/ the Kifaru since it is designed to place all of the weight on the hips and not the shoulder straps.
    The shoulder harness and hip belt system can be adjusted so all the weight is on the hips with the shoulder straps pushing you from the chest back into the frame. I pack like that and it keeps my shoulders (trapezius/levator scapulae) from tiring. The problem I have with the internals is what happens when you shoot a moose? How do you pack a hind quarter? If the bag is big enough you drop it in and pray it can handle the weight. If it isn't big enough???????? What do you do with a 60"+ moose rack? Where do you tie it off????? Do you balance it on your head like African women do with water jugs for the pack out???? I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's sure a lot easier with an external frame!!!! They're built to handle big loads and they are better designed for tying off to secure a heavy and awkward load like a large set of mosse anlters.

Brett

I agree with you brett that an external is hard to beat for hauling out moose. For the mountains though a quality internal is the way to go in my opinion and I have tried some of the best packs on the market. For alpine hunting the holy grail is a McHale pack but the price is prohibitive for most. For the best a non eccentric gear junky can reasonably justify the Mystery Ranch Nice 6500 is hard to beat. I just prefer the balance benefits of a pack that hugs the load close to your back like a quality internal does. I also prefer internals for busting alders since there is no metal frame to hang up on things.

The shoulder harness and hip belt system can be adjusted so all the weight is on the hips with the shoulder straps pushing you from the chest back into the frame. I pack like that and it keeps my shoulders (trapezius/levator scapulae) from tiring. The problem I have with the internals is what happens when you shoot a moose? How do you pack a hind quarter? If the bag is big enough you drop it in and pray it can handle the weight. If it isn't big enough???????? What do you do with a 60"+ moose rack? Where do you tie it off????? Do you balance it on your head like African women do with water jugs for the pack out???? I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's sure a lot easier with an external frame!!!! They're built to handle big loads and they are better designed for tying off to secure a heavy and awkward load like a large set of mosse anlters.

Brett
    This is one reason I'm wanting to buy a Barney's external pack
    (Moose season). With the Kifaru I can take the bag off and use the cargo chair as the Hauler feature. If you look on thier site people are hauling out 150+ loads on the Haul of Fame, to include 100 lb propane cylinders and a guy's wife strapped to the pack/cargo chair/shelf. There are tie down points on the pack for lashing gear, antlers etc. I boned my caribou out and I fit it ALL in my bag, but w/ my exsisting gear I had 150+ lbs on my back, not to count my rifle, trecking poles, pistol, pistol belt, 10X42 burris binos etc, so I made 2 roughly 80 lb trips (note I was by myself 5 miles off the haul road) I mistake and it could be really bad news. Barne'y pack wasn't designed to keep the load on your hips, you can sinch it down and as soon as you walk the load shifts to the shoulders. Kifaru's biggest feature is exactly that, thay's why barney's shoulder straps are about
    1 1/2" padded thick and Kifaru's are about 5/16". When properly adjusted I have the shoulder straps slacked, no weight bearing on them.

Look em up, they also make Military packs used by the Army and Marine Corps. Tough enough to haul out a wounded dressed out GI!!!

Billy

Brett[/QUOTE]

Brett
    I have a "Just One Pack" by Eberlestock that I love. It's comfortable and very usable. It will carry 80 pounds very comfortably. What it will not do, as Brett suggests, is carry a moose quarter on the bone very easily. You can lash it to the pack and make it work, but that is not its design. I use my Eberlestock for day trips, but I would not think of trying to pack a moose with it, or any other internal frame pack, on purpose. I've never carried a moose rack on it; just can't seem to make it balance in such a way that I can walk wearing the pack loaded with moose antlers. I am not familiar with a better frame to carry moose weight quarters than a Barney's "Freighter."