Thread: Best bullet for sheep/goat hunting

Default Best bullet for sheep/goat hunting

I just purchased a Mauser M03 in 270 Win. , Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 and planning my first sheep/goat/antelope hunting. I do not handload. What bullet would performe the best on these animals? Is Winchester elite XP3 a good choice? I know I have to go through many brand to see what shoots best in my rifle.

Thank you so much for your inputs.

SXSMAK

Default so many...

There are lots of good .270 bullets. The 150 grain Nosler Partition is a good and deep penetrating bullet that will open up at long range. Try it, you will like it.

Sheep are pretty lightly built and do not require anything special in terms of a premium bullet. I would pick a 130 grain bullet that is accurate in your rifle. I like Sierra Pro Hunters myself. I would go with a 150 of some sort for goats. The Nosler Partition would be a good choice if it shoots well in your rifle. That is way too much scope for big game hunting.

Default damage

I think I'd cry the first time that baby took a good solid whack and with that huge objective lense it's sure to get hit a time or two in the goat and sheep hills.

Bullet choice......Nosler Partitions work fine. Barnes are good too. I shoot both makers just pick what shoots best for my rifle.

Default 270

I seem to have the best all around luck with 140 grn bullets out of the 270. The ones that have shot the best for me in my rifles are the 140 grn Sierra Gameking HP @ 2900 fps, My dad's taken elk at 200+ yards with them ,NO failures. Should be more than adequate for goats. The 140 grn NPs shoot pretty well but not in the same league as the Gamekings (in my rifle).

Your goona hate yourself when you ding up that pretty scope! LoL
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Get rid of the hubble telescope and get something with a smaller objective lens. If you're shooting factory ammo in a 270 and aren't into year-round fine tuning of your rig and handloading, you won't or shouldn't be shooting more than 300-400 yards, and that can be done with a 4x scope easily. Get a fixed 4x or a low-powered variable with a 33mm or smaller objective lens. Straight tubes are great, and leave nothing out hanging to bang on things.

Bullet selection for sheep is as easy as figuring out which manufacturer's standard cup/core 130 grain bullet shoots best in your rig. Sheep don't require a golden bullet to kill.

Default 130's

Goat, sheep, and caribou with Winchester's Silvertip's 130's. One shot each, from 150-354 yards.

Goat and sheep hunting usually requires a light-wt mountain rifle; that scope may weigh you down needlessly. ...but between you and I, I'd like to mount that on my .300 RUM.

Good Luck.

I carry 140grn accubonds in my 270 wsm. I haven't had the opportunity to prove them on anything yet in that cal but the 200grn versin in 325wsm has proven devastating on fox at 200 yards, and 180's in 338mag have done well on goats out to over 300. We recovered 1 round of the 180's under the offside hide of a billy this year. The recovered bullet retained most of its weight despite a direct impact on the near side shoulder(solid bone, not scapula!).

Default Best Bullet

Thank you so very much for all of the inputs.
    SXSMAK

Well since your going with factory ammo, i'd go with the accubonds too, and barnes TSX, but if your gonna handload, Berger, Sierra gamekings, and Nosler Accubonds.

The Federal Premium Vital Shok's in 150gr Nosler Partitions is deadly on sheep and moose and I would not hesitate to use it on goats. I also agree, that is way too much scope unless your planning on shooting over extreme long distances.

I would get rid of the Hubble as well. Get a nice light quality scope and you wont regret it. As for a bullet its hard to beat a Nosler Partition for AK. you never know what you may run into up there. Sheep and goats are not that tough so any good 130-150 grn bullet will work well. Its all about where you put them.