Thread: Admiralty island Deer Need info

Default Admiralty island Deer Need info

Fellow Alaskan needs help. Many of you know that I have been doing a realty TV show. Well the show is now in Alaska!!!! I need help/info on hunting Admiralty Island for deer. I will be there in the first week of Dec. Looking to see if it will be worth bowhunting or not. Please PM.
    Thanks for you help!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Fellow Alaskan needs help. Many of you know that I have been doing a realty TV show. Well the show is now in Alaska!!!! I need help/info on hunting Admiralty Island for deer. I will be there in the first week of Dec. Looking to see if it will be worth bowhunting or not. Please PM.
    Thanks for you help!!!!!
    A reality hunting show would be you going to the island and tromping around looking for deer right?

Default wintering grounds

First off I've never hunted Admiralty but when it comes to hunting Blacktail I've got seasonal strategies. During December the rut is fundamentally over and the deer like to congregate in the old growth forest with plenty of blueberry browse and run off zones that expose ground foliage. The elevation will vary depending on daylight exposure and feed zones.

Bow hunting....well they don't move nearly as much and tend to allow for some sudden and surprise encounters. I would think a stand or still hunt is in order. Beach hunting using a spot and stalk could prove very exciting and provide great video footage. You would be able to spot them from a distance and plan your whole gig. A good snowfall would be very, very advantageous. Antlers could be dropping from the bucks. It's very likely they will be lean but still table worthy.

So what is the reality element of this show? Is it just another hunting show?

Come pick me up in Sitka, I'd be glad to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    First off I've never hunted Admiralty but when it comes to hunting Blacktail I've got seasonal strategies. During December the rut is fundamentally over and the deer like to congregate in the old growth forest with plenty of blueberry browse and run off zones that expose ground foliage. The elevation will vary depending on daylight exposure and feed zones.

Bow hunting....well they don't move nearly as much and tend to allow for some sudden and surprise encounters. I would think a stand or still hunt is in order. Beach hunting using a spot and stalk could prove very exciting and provide great video footage. You would be able to spot them from a distance and plan your whole gig. A good snowfall would be very, very advantageous. Antlers could be dropping from the bucks. It's very likely they will be lean but still table worthy.

So what is the reality element of this show? Is it just another hunting show?

Come pick me up in Sitka, I'd be glad to help.
    The show is about hunting and fishing and other stuff. But it's main focus is about Conservation. We each had to pick a consevation group to get involved in and play for.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default What part of the island?

I lived on Admiralty Island for about 17 years on the Chatham Strait side. Where will you be hunting? I know of quite a few good areas for deer around the Kathleen Creek, Ward Creek, and Florence Creek areas.

In December, they will be down in the heavy timber. If there is a lot of snow, they will be right down on the beaches licking the rocks for salt and eating the seaweed. If there isn't much snow they will be farther inland eating the small browse plants.

Also, if you go in the bay by Point Hepburn, you can get onto some old logging roads and get into some really good deer areas.

Let me know and good luck.

CubeCove

Default What group

What conservation group are you representing bowhunting blacktail deer? I'm still not getting where this will make good TV. Not trying to be ultracritical I'd just like to understand where this show is heading. Even though I know most folks enjoy watching TV with scenic SE Alaska as a theme.

What conservation group are you representing bowhunting blacktail deer? I'm still not getting where this will make good TV. Not trying to be ultracritical I'd just like to understand where this show is heading. Even though I know most folks enjoy watching TV with scenic SE Alaska as a theme.
    I assume that this is just one episode on the show. I think Gary has already been on multiple hunts down south. It is kind of cool that they are coming up to AK for an episode though so Gary can have the home field advantage!

Bighorse, I wish I could tell you everything. But I'm limited on what I can say right now. I will tell you this. This is a different outdoor reality show then you ever seen. Just right now I'm trying to get info on the island and the deer that live there
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'm from Juneau and have hunted northern Admiralty for a few years. yeah look for deer in the thick stuff. while a lot of encounters with blacktails are at close range you probably won't be effective with a bow.(it gets hung up alot and sometimes you just have to pull up and shoot real quick) if you were to bow hunt try calling (it still works even though its not rutting) most people just use this fawn distress call which brings in the deer.

also make sure you have a big gun while it is dec. the bears could still be out and it is rummored that on Admiralty the bears are atracted to gun shots (free deer )
    if you have anymore questions you can PM me

IMO - deer can still be in the rut the first week end of Dec. 2nd estrous cycle is just about over, but you know about horny males, no?

Northern Admiralty got hit hard the winter of 06/07 - deer are still trying to come back. West coast not as hard as the rest, but it was probably 50% + winter kill in most areas. I hope fin, fur & feathers is smart enuff to go bucks only.

I will be hunting mid-Nov in an area that I'm quite familiar with. Fawn bleat is quite effective. Like others said, the only chance you'll have with a bow is if you can call 'em in.

My kid with be hunting with his compound bow, with me packing a rifle. He already tagged a couple of bucks in August and is looking for his first bow buck.

You're on you own for location. Reality Shows postively suck! I'm only into doing it myself.

BTW - what's the diff between a reality show and a hunting show?