Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TFO

Default TFO

Anyone had any problems with TFO...They are killin me. I sent them my POS rod that broke 2x. one on a red and another on a chum...I am highly upset. payed 200+ for it. Then mailed em my rod..they never returned it and gave me a run around about a tracking #. I think they lost it. They don't even have a record of my warranty. The lady I talked with said they just toss em in a big box an call it good. Just wanted to warn ya'll before you make a mistake and buy a rod from them. They suck.

Interesting... I had a big chum break my TFO spinning rod. Great service in getting the rod repaired/replaced. Mailed it on a Thursday and got it back by return mail the following Tuesday!!! How's that for service.

The two previous times I've sent the rods back (I have 4 TFO rods), service was always stellar.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I don't think that's typical for TFO.

Did you have shipping insurance?

I have had stellar service as well. They ask for a tracking number to prove you actually sent them a rod.

Without that, anyone could call and say they sent a rod in.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Yup. So far it's been great service for great rods here, too. Broke one and got an over-the-counter exchange at the store where I bought it. Walk in with a broken rod, walk out with a replacement. Sweet! No mailing and no lost days during the season. I'm always going to be buying them FTF rather than ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by KUMA View Post
    Anyone had any problems with TFO...They are killin me. I sent them my POS rod that broke 2x. one on a red and another on a chum...I am highly upset. payed 200+ for it. Then mailed em my rod..they never returned it and gave me a run around about a tracking #. I think they lost it. They don't even have a record of my warranty. The lady I talked with said they just toss em in a big box an call it good. Just wanted to warn ya'll before you make a mistake and buy a rod from them. They suck.
    I have returned a few TFO's for warranty service. From time of delivery (I use insured priority mail, with delivery confirmation; runs about $15 or so) it takes 1-2 weeks more or less to get it back. Priority mail can sometimes be slow. Mail from Alaska in general can be even slower at times. And, consistent with your message, there may be rods sitting packages in a big box that haven't been looked at yet; this too is common in the industry. I would give it at least 4-8 weeks if you used regular parcel post.

Out of curiosity, which rod are you using that you broke twice (weight and model)?

What are you using for tippet/leader?

Default Contact TFO...

Email Rick Pope at:
    info@templeforkflyrods.com

I've had great performance from my several TFO rods, but never needed service. Explain the situation to Mr. Pope and I bet he'll try to help.

Let us know. Good luck.

While I've never had a warranty claim from them I can say that their rods have been outstanding. I can't believe how well they perform for the money. I bought them from a shop that said of the few they return, their turn around is second to none. Not even sage or Gloomis can compare. They highly recommended them based on 1. their performance and 2. their quick turn around on warranty claims. Now this all entailed that I bring the rod back to the store and let them handle the warranty claim.

I don't prefer TFO as much as most folks, but I have never heard anything bad about them. Actually, I have only heard shining complements of their customer service. Exactly how long have you been waiting on this rod. 1 week? 2 weeks? Month? I am curious how long it has been.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I broke a 10 wt and had a new one back in a week. Its not my favorite rod to fish but they cast very well and the service was great.

4 weeks...I need to find my receipt and figure out a tracking #. Sure won't buy another 1. TiCr 8wt 4 piece. I have other rods that have out performed for 1/2 the price...happy fishin!

For some fishing styles, the Ugly stick is all you need!

Default Interesting

I have been dealing with TFO West Rep for the past several years and they have always provided outstanding service have always answered all my questions and have turned and burned on anything to inlcude reels.

Sorry your having issues. If it continues send me a PM I would be glad to give D.S. a note and see what gives.

Blue Moose

yeah, i had a problem with them in '04 when i live in VA. Sent them a rod and they mailed me back a new one under the replacement plan. I lived in an apartment at the time. They sent it to me FedEx. Well, the FedEx person left it at my door and it was stolen. Since it never made it back to me, I asked TFO for another. They said it was between me and FedEx. I said they chose to use FedEx, not me. So their carrier of choice didn't deliver the goods. Back and forth for sometime and they finally decided to send me another with delivery confirmation. They came across very rude at the start of the whole conversation like it was my fault. Won't be buying from them again.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I broke a lefty kreh rod first time out. They replaced it no problem.

It worked great before it snapped and I had 5 hours on the river after carpooling with no backup rod

That Ticr seems to be the rod I've seen the most issues with???? I personally own 3 TFO pros, and I have had absolutely flawless performance from all of them, including countless reds this august on my 6 weight (while fishing for bows of course.) Looks to me like you fell though the cracks. Sorry about that. If you do choose to look at the TFO again, consider the Pro series, they're cheaper and in my opinion way outperform most high dollar rods. Good Luck.

I was sold when I took out a demo TiCRX 8-weight 4-piece and cast it alongside my three Sage 8-weights and my wife's Loomis Crosscurrent 8-weight 4-piece. My reels and my 3 different lines. It easily cast as far as the most aggressive Sages, but with the smoothness and accuracy of the Loomis. And for $250 rather than $500-$700. Bought one, broke it, and had another in my hands immediately.

Who could beef? I can own 2 or 3 TFO's rather than one Loomis or Sage, which makes the whole backup deal a lot more reasonable. I originally bought the TiCRX for backup, but now my Sage is the backup. And after trying mine, danged if my wife doesn't want a TiCRX too. So maybe they aren't so cheap after all!

Default $$$ For Name!!!!

Loomis,Sage,Scott,even Simms waders etc. your'e paying out alot $$$ for a name. It won't be long and TFO will be there to. Fished & owend all. I'll keep my TFO's & fish them next year in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    yeah, i had a problem with them in '04 when i live in VA. Sent them a rod and they mailed me back a new one under the replacement plan. I lived in an apartment at the time. They sent it to me FedEx. Well, the FedEx person left it at my door and it was stolen. Since it never made it back to me, I asked TFO for another. They said it was between me and FedEx. I said they chose to use FedEx, not me. So their carrier of choice didn't deliver the goods. Back and forth for sometime and they finally decided to send me another with delivery confirmation. They came across very rude at the start of the whole conversation like it was my fault. Won't be buying from them again.
    That practice is common in the industry. Sage now also uses FedEx with no confirmation delivery; which I knew from calling them. Simms uses regular mail for warranty service. I sometimes use a business address (with a locked mail room) for these kinds of things. I am not certain if they use insurance. My guess is yes.

True, TFO is generally fast, but sometimes not. I honestly think KUMA will get his rod back in a couple more weeks or so.

Default snake guide broke

i have a teeny signature 7wt that i have been using a lot since sept. & caught many dollies and bows with it and hooked 3 silvers. one was one heck of a hot fish and ended up breaking the hook. i love the feel of this rod and so far it has performed and i enjoy casting it.

one of the snake guides broke right where it connects underneath the wrap. it wasn't the snake guide that is closest to the connection. it was the guide above. i'm thinking of having the guide repaired locally instead of shipping it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast