Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knik River launch

Default Knik River launch

FYI - for all you folks heading to the Knik River launch this weekend to the Flats....Beware of Nails...the pallet burners are back and they've burned a pile up right in the area/lane everyone launches in.

Already pulled one nail from a tire this fall. Whoever put those rocks there have really put a damper in the available launch areas.

Gotta love the morons that don't think about what or where they are burning stuff.

Default Death...

... to pallet burners!

In addition, to the guys that are too lazy to walk to their boats and feel it is important to plug up the ramp and park right as you pull your trailer out of the water and so we have to drive right through the nails..........Could you please park further up towards the road so when we back down there is room to turn and so we aren't forced to back up right over the nails where the pallets were burned!!!!

I second what bigreid says. There always seems to be one or two people who park their rigs in the swing area at the launch. It is a real pain to have to back my trailer the fifty yards or so that I usually park from the ramp. I'd rather drive forward and swing my trailer but some days that is not possible because there are trucks in the way.

Please be kind to others and put your car or truck up the road a ways.

Thanks in advance.

Question Kink River Launch

Pallet burning poses some problems for all of us using the launch sight. Any ideas on how one could look at getting that sort of behavior changed? I am thinking that it's littering, leaving the nails lay. Why not work on stopping over night camping and open burning at the launch.. Just a thought... duckdon
    Maybe some no parking here signs could be set up as well.

I am surprised the troopers don't stop down there when there is a fire, it is not like they are trying to hid the fires, as big as that last one must have been it should be easily seen from the Glenn.
    I understand the signs, but that shouldn't be needed. It should be common courtesy. Last weekend I was the first one there and a friend was right behind me, we parked up on the road part leaving room for trucks and trailers to turn around and back down. The next three parties were two lazy to park up on the road so they blocked the only nail-free lane to launch area. It really drove me crazy. I am glad I didn't get a flat out of the deal. Hopefully we can self regulate and hopefully the guys with that parked there read this.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I am surprised the troopers don't stop down there when there is a fire, it is not like they are trying to hid the fires, as big as that last one must have been it should be easily seen from the Glenn.
    I understand the signs, but that shouldn't be needed. It should be common courtesy. Last weekend I was the first one there and a friend was right behind me, we parked up on the road part leaving room for trucks and trailers to turn around and back down. The next three parties were two lazy to park up on the road so they blocked the only nail-free lane to launch area. It really drove me crazy. I am glad I didn't get a flat out of the deal. Hopefully we can self regulate and hopefully the guys with that parked there read this.
    Anybody have a connection to borrow one of those magnet trailers so we could clean it up more thoroughly? If we could find one, I'd drag it around this fall still... they sure work well from what I've seen in the past...

I used one a couple years ago in the spring to clean up a winter's worth of pallet nails andd it worked well. I don't have that magnet anymore, I will see if I can dig one up.

It sounds like you guys are having some of the same issues we "used" to have a Mud Lake launch up at Jim Creek. Many times someone would park their truck down on the turn around when they launched a canoe. This made it really hard to get your trailer turned around and backed down to the water. I know of a couple of times where the parked trucks were ran into by someone trying to get their boat out. Someone placed hand made no parking signs in the area for a couple of years. They only lasted a week or less each time but eventually the message got through to some folks. In the last two years I have not seen anyone parked on the ramp blocking its use by others.

Now that the Mud Lake area has such low water a lot of users are going to the Hay Flats causing an issue with the limited parking area.

I looked through the various regulations and could not find where having a fire on refuge land is illegal. The new Knik Public Use Area (Jim Creek) regulations prohibit pallet burning and fires over 4 feet in diameter. It still happens, but when the Troopers catch you that is a fine of $500 I believe.

Enforcement of these new regulations up at Jim Creek may be the cause of your troubles on the highway launch. It just sent the same old trouble makers else where.

Isses like these are a good thing to bring to the Friends of the Hayflats folks and have them work with the state to find a solution.

It is kids and they either don't think or don't care. The only way to curb that is to have the troopers turn up the heat and bust a bunch of them then they will go somewhere else and be someone elses problem....

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Isses like these are a good thing to bring to the Friends of the Hayflats folks and have them work with the state to find a solution.
    Maybe they can put out some more rocks.

Ray, who do I contact at "Friends of the Hay Flats"? Lets do something rather than just talk about it.
    Question, Who put the roaks out at the launch and why? That just did not happen with a couple guys. That took equipment and money so some one has an in with the river launch gods. duckdon

Might also contact the Biologist from the game dept who was at the "friends..." meeting a couple weeks ago, he is aparently in charge of the area. Would reccomend that he order signs from the state that say "public hunting area" and "no open fires", and post them at the launch, reflection lake entrance, rabbit slough entrance, and cottonwood creek. Want to make sure the signs do not limit folks that camp on the flats during hunt season from having fires. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdon View Post
    Ray, who do I contact at "Friends of the Hay Flats"? Lets do something rather than just talk about it.
    Question, Who put the roaks out at the launch and why? That just did not happen with a couple guys. That took equipment and money so some one has an in with the river launch gods. duckdon
    The is the link to Alaskan's for the Palmer Hay Flats website. There is a phone number on there as well as e-mail info.

They organized the rocks at all of the access points using state funds or grant funds obtained with state assistance. The state does not have the man power so they rely on the AKFPH folks to do the bulk of the work. The state refuge manager was involved in the decision making process so they were not just out doing whatever they wanted to do. Somewhere in one of their news letters it says why the rocks were placed at the various access points. Something about preventing further damage to the non drivable surfaces or vegetation.

There also are the new sign boards at Reflection lake there at the Knik. All state funded and AKFPH installed. I really hope they don't turn into target stands and firewood this winter.

Maybe they have the funds to purchase a construction cleanup magnet tool that can be borrowed and used out there on a regular basis.

AK Duckman is right in that we have to be careful in how we approach the AKFPHers. Some of their members are non hunters and would like to see us not out there. However, the Hay Flats managment plan clearly states that funds to manage the refuge come from the P&R act fund system. Meaning no hunters and fishermen spending money on gear then no funding for the refuges. The AKFPHers know where the butter on their bread comes from - you and I.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    Maybe they can put out some more rocks.
    Maybe the can take away the ones the already put there.

I am beginning to wish I had not posted anything. We dont need more regulation, we need less. Whoever said something about changing behavior....Taint gonna happen - PERIOD. The people burning those pallets probably dont read anything here becuase like someone else said they dont care - like so many today they only think about themselves, and not what thier actions cause to others.

I dont have a problem with campfires, I have a problem with Pallet fires that leave nails in an already shortened launch lane - THATS ALL. And the rocks that were put in, cut off about half of the launch area - they could easily be moved further down and not lose a single blade of grass.

Self regulation is the key, we responsible people will always have to pick up after the irresponsible ones and that too WILL NEVER CHANGE. Start restricting access, fires, camping and other sorts of recreation and soon....no-one will be the hunting or launching thier boats there.

And I third what Bob and Yukon said about the "Lane Parking".....and I KNOW you folks are reading these pages....QUIT PARKING IN THE TURNAROUND AREA PLEASE - walk the extra 50 freakin feet back to you launched boat.

"Gates closed from 11pm - 7am. Attendant on duty, Please pay in advance"

Self-regulation is out of the question. Knik has been the site of "Mad Max" for years and people are sick of it. The people themselves won't change.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I agree with Cutter. We don't need more regulation. We don't need "attendants", we don't need gates. We need common sense. I know it is tough but it can be done, and if it can't those of of with common sense will have to take of things, like remove the nails, and try to inform people of their parking. Government just screws things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    I am beginning to wish I had not posted anything.
    Don't think like that. This is good for those that use the site and the resource. It makes the lurkers aware that there is an issue and the actual concerned citizens are working on the problem. The lurkers should not be surprised to be asked to police themselves if one of us brings it up.

We dont need more regulation, we need less. Whoever said something about changing behavior....Taint gonna happen - PERIOD. The people burning those pallets probably dont read anything here becuase like someone else said they dont care - like so many today they only think about themselves, and not what thier actions cause to others.

The pallet burners are the same dorks that have been kicked out of Jim Creek or can't make it back there in their ricer cars. There will always be 20 somethings wanting to burn stuff and get their underage girl friend tanked up. And no they don't read this site 'cause it ain't cool to read. No hot girls, not hot cars, or videos of their drunk buddies booting after a keg stand.

I dont have a problem with campfires, I have a problem with Pallet fires that leave nails in an already shortened launch lane - THATS ALL.
    The state made pallet fires illegal in the KPUA (Jim Creek). They are not illegal on the refuge as far as I could tell from what little regulations there are. Without more regulations pallet fires are OK and will continue with no enforcment possible. The young dorks that go out there to party will not care until the Troopers show up and fine them. Then they move to someplace else.

And the rocks that were put in, cut off about half of the launch area - they could easily be moved further down and not lose a single blade of grass.
    I agree with this, even though I am not a user of this area. Barricades should be placed outside of the area being used not outside the area being protected since that reduces the usable area. There are 45 square miles of swamp in the Hay Flats refuge so a few square feet taken up by the rocks would not impact the system. The AKFPHers should have done a better job of supervising this work, but maybe the state bio told them where to put the rocks?

Self regulation is the key, we responsible people will always have to pick up after the irresponsible ones and that too WILL NEVER CHANGE. Start restricting access, fires, camping and other sorts of recreation and soon....no-one will be the hunting or launching thier boats there.

And I third what Bob and Yukon said about the "Lane Parking".....and I KNOW you folks are reading these pages....QUIT PARKING IN THE TURNAROUND AREA PLEASE - walk the extra 50 freakin feet back to you launched boat.

The Barney's are lazy and will always be so. You see this same issue at Mud Lake. At Mud Lake I find it funny that the guys that park close right at the top of the hill have set themselves up for a really hard boat retrieval. The guys that come after them end up taking the better parking spots and parking their truck and trailer so that it is easier for them to get back down and get their boat. I walk an extra couple hundred feet, but the end of the hunt when I am cold, wet and tired is super easy.
    At some point the state is going to have the funds to turn that area into a real boat launch with fees and everything. Will that suck or be nice to have? I dont' know.

At some point the state is going to have the funds to turn that area into a real boat launch with fees and everything. Will that suck or be nice to have? I dont' know.
    I like things the way they are, nails, inconsiderate parkers, unimproved ramp, etc.

The way I see it we have a delicate balance of usage. Too many people and we end up with another Russian River. I really don't want to drive to Delta Junction to do my waterfowling away from crowds.

I would prefer that the pallet burners do their business elsewhere. It would be nice if I could swing my truck at the launch. A little more launch beach would be nice. However, if all of these inconveniences discourages the average newby, especially if he's the clueless type who would ruin your hunting or fishing then I am all for what we currently have. I'd rather have not enough guys to move ducks than to have one knucklehead who sets his decoys 100 yards downwind of my spread.

So far I have been lucky. No nails in my tires. I haven't sideswiped the lazy parkers' trucks. And I haven't gotten stuck in the soft sand.

I like to gripe about all of this, but I'd rather keep what we know, rather than have the State come in and make a change for the worse. The rocks were a result of the State "improving" things.

We don't really want a bureaucrat making further "improvements".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast