Thread: looking for a chocolate lab

Default looking for a chocolate lab

hey guys, just wondering if anyone is aware of chocolate labs being available? I'm located in Fairbanks but don't have an issue driving south to Anchorage. I'm looking for health guarantees after having issues with my current 2 year old lab which I believe are breeding related...ie missing teeth and cataracts

thanks in advanced for any information shared,

Richie

Default saw this today

saw this ad today(sorry so big):
    United States Alaska Home / Pets / Dogs

United States Alaska Home / Pets / Dogs
    Post# A54416

AKC Chocolate Lab Puppies (Palmer)
    Reply to: Use contact form belowPrice: $500.00Telephone: 907-306-3888We have 8 AKC registered chocolate lab puppies who will be ready to go to new homes starting November 3 2009 (they will be 7-weeks-old)! There are 5 females and 2 males available. The mama is a yellow lab (who will be on site) and the daddy is a chocolate lab.

We are asking (cash only)
    $525.00 for the females (FIRM)
    $475.00 for the males (FIRM)

The deposit to hold a puppy is $150.00 and it IS NONE REFUNDABLE.

Only serious inquiries only. We want these puppies to go to permanent homes and not be tossed around! If you want a good family lab, give us a call or e-mail and you can come look at them pretty much any time you would like.

I got my yellow lab from a breeder in Wasilla (Alaska Labs) last summer. We couldn't find anyone in Fairbanks with pups when we were looking.

Great temperment and intelligence and no health issues we (or the vet) have noticed. He did have some chocolates when we got ours.

You might try him to see what he's got.

Richie, I suggest you do a little more looking. Are you looking for a hunting or competition lab or just a house dog and pet? Makes a big difference. If you want a top field dog, look at pedigree as well as health clearences. Last Frontier Labs in fairbanks has a good list of what to check out when buying a pup (she has this listed in another thread here, you can easily find it). Pulling on your pant legs and looking cute are not the main criteria. The purchase price of the pup is the lowest cost you will have when owing a nice pup, don't try and skimp on a pedigree. Bud

thanks for all the info shared. My initial post was a little vague. I'm looking for a strong hunting dog. Not really interested in competitions at this time more geared towards hunting. This time around I'll be focusing a lot on pedigree.

thanks again and feel free to PM me if something comes available,

Richie

Just an example of what can happen. Last fall a friend and hunting partner wanted a golden ret for hunting and ended up getting a puppy from what he was told was "field lines". Now, almost a year later, the pup has been deligated to house dog, has little retrieving desire. seems the pedigree does have some field lines in it but also heavy on show lines. My wife also wanted a golden pup, but wanted to be confident of field ability, she got hers from Daryl Jones, who breeds only for the field, and has a liter sired by a known golden competition dog. Jan ended up with one agressive, birdy go getter, she is even telling me she wants to compete against my lab pup in the derby next summer with her golden, it will be fun. Bud

I finally found a puppy here is a picture of "Banks"

Default Looking as well

Hello:

Glad you could find the pup. We just lost our chocolate and we are looking for a good house/part-time hunter if anyone knows of a good litter coming up.

Again, thank you in advance for any leads.

Enjoy!!!

Default Breed in June/July

My female chocolate is in heat right now, but going to let this one pass and breed her on the next cycle which I am guessing should by in June/July sometime. She is a great house dog and is crazy about hunting! She is petite dog. I also have her brother who is a great looking male. House is nuts right now with female in heat and two other male dogs in the house! I'll post her when it gets close to breeding time. I have a few friends already interested. Going to keep my eye out for a good male to father the pups.