Thread: Just moved to AK

Default Just moved to AK

Hey all...

I recently moved to Alaska from New Mexico and I brought my 18 foot aluminum boat up here from down there. Where is a good place that I can take it to get it winterized? Since I have had it for a very short time I don't feel comfortable doing this myself for the first winter it will be up here, but I don't want to spend a fortune doing it either. It has a 50 hp outboard Yamaha 4 stroke motor and 2 batteries that I will need to take care of.

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

PS We are in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevistar View Post
    Hey all...

I recently moved to Alaska from New Mexico and I brought my 18 foot aluminum boat up here from down there. Where is a good place that I can take it to get it winterized? Since I have had it for a very short time I don't feel comfortable doing this myself for the first winter it will be up here, but I don't want to spend a fortune doing it either. It has a 50 hp outboard Yamaha 4 stroke motor and 2 batteries that I will need to take care of.

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

PS We are in Anchorage.

look in the phone book there are lots of places in anchorage.. alaska marine and sea?
    Semper Fi!

Thumbs up Not much to do

You shouldn't need to do anything but fog your motor and remove your batteries for a warmer spot. Some guys leave em in. I guess if they are charged well, they wont freeze, but I don't take that chance. Other than that, if you have carbs, you can drain the bowls, but if it's fuel injected, then not. I don't drain mine and have never had a problem. If this is not comfortable to you then I would highly reccomend J Kimberly Service on Arctic Blvd. They know thier stuff.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Performance RV & Marine
    6820 Arctic Blvd.
    Anchorage, AK
    522-8965 (Ask for Tim)

Don't worry to much about it.

Boats are kinda like the bugs up here, die in the winter, come back to life in the spring. (unless you have a cabin that you heat up in the winter, then they come alive then too)

Just make sure your lower unit has all the water out of it, unhook your battery/s, wait the winter out, put new gas in it in the spring, and you are ready to go.

Not to sure about the 4 stroke tho, don't own one.

My 2 cents, tho there not worth much on here.

Go see Anchorage Yamaha on Spenard.

If it is a jet. Be sure to pump the lower bearing until fresh grease comes out.

Welcome to Alaska. Spent alot of years in Alamogordo.

Mike

Default Thanks for all the advice :)

Thanks for all the posts

My wife and I like it up here so far, but I have a feeling it is going to be a little different than what we are used to in about a month

Almost went to Alamogordo myself until this position that I am in now posted and we decided it is prettier up here than the desert

Kyle

Don't be afraid to ask questions here. Most people are very generous. Just don't ask for their favorite fishing hole or hunting location, drive slow in the fast lane or commit a huge Fish and Game error.

I am retired AF. Wife is from Alamo. So is the mother-in-law. Thats why we live in AK....

Mike