Thread: Marmot Precip vs. HH Impertechs vs. UnderArmour? Raingrear

Default Marmot Precip vs. HH Impertechs vs. UnderArmour? Raingrear

My father recently returned from a trip to Newfoundland and he was hunting Moose, Caribou and Black Bear. The last 5 days of his hunt was wet, cool weather with rocky terrain. He wore his UA rain pants and his Marmot Precip Jacket the entire time during those 5 days and he was dry (inside and outside) and not a tear on either of the pieces. He was never in storm conditions so I can't say how either peice would perform but he was in some wet swampy area and rocky terrain.

I'm trying to decide which rain gear to get for myself as I will be doing a Western Big Game hunt and a Newfoundland Big Game hunt in the near future and in the next few years I will be heading out to Alaska to do one big game hunt.

I know HH Impertechs seems to be the prefered choice in Alaska but I'm thinking I have time to before I'll be in Alaska so do I really need to get the Impertechs now??? I would rather have a new rainsuit when that day comes. What are your thoughts on the Marmot Precip Rain Suit and the UnderArmour Rain suits? Are they tough enough for rough terrain, do they breath reasonably well for a rainsuit? Will they hold out the rain on a heavy rainfall?

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    My father recently returned from a trip to Newfoundland and he was hunting Moose, Caribou and Black Bear. The last 5 days of his hunt was wet, cool weather with rocky terrain. He wore his UA rain pants and his Marmot Precip Jacket the entire time during those 5 days and he was dry (inside and outside) and not a tear on either of the pieces. He was never in storm conditions so I can't say how either peice would perform but he was in some wet swampy area and rocky terrain.

I'm trying to decide which rain gear to get for myself as I will be doing a Western Big Game hunt and a Newfoundland Big Game hunt in the near future and in the next few years I will be heading out to Alaska to do one big game hunt.

I know HH Impertechs seems to be the prefered choice in Alaska but I'm thinking I have time to before I'll be in Alaska so do I really need to get the Impertechs now??? I would rather have a new rainsuit when that day comes. What are your thoughts on the Marmot Precip Rain Suit and the UnderArmour Rain suits? Are they tough enough for rough terrain, do they breath reasonably well for a rainsuit? Will they hold out the rain on a heavy rainfall?

Paolo
    I would think the Marmot would be good for keeping the water out but maybe a tad noisy.

I use Marmot Precip on a lot of my hunts, and overall I've been pleased. If I know that it is going to be raining buckets, though, I would opt for something heavier. I do a lot of mountain hunting via backpack, though, so the light weight of the Precip gear is appreciated.

The Precept isn't overly noisy. As Brian said it is very light weight and perfect for mountain hunting or hiking. If I were bear or moose hunting I would go with Helly Hanson.

Brett

Default A lot of solutions, none perfect yet...

If they worked well for your Dad, that's a plus.

Not sure how much you want to get into this, but I've found rainwear confusing, made worse by companies that call their WP/BR materials by their own trade name, making comparisons difficult. There's a good discussion about how to choose rainwear, how materials or coatings try to find the right balance point between waterproofness and breathability, on REI's website (http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/rainwear.html), under the "Waterproof/Breathable (WP/BR)" section.

HH Impertech, from posts on these forums, won't leak and is quieter than most waterproof rainwear. Doesn't leak, but doesn't breathe either. Breathability (letting sweat vapor escape) could be a factor for you on a Western US hunt that required more backcountry hiking than Newfoundland required for your Dad.

My take on rainwear is based on sweating a lot, then having less natural insulation to stay warm, so I put a premium on breathability when I also need to stay warm. Like Brian, I've been a Marmot Precip fan for a several years. For light to moderate rain and light to moderate/heavy exertion, they've been great for me, but I did get good and wet in my Precip in August when packing camp then rowing against the wind in sideways rain. Polyurethane-coated fabrics like Precip breathe and are a good value, but I also fret that the coating will deteriorate with time. My hunt plans (infrequent, big trips to faroff spots) make gear failure a problem, so I've been carrying backup rainwear-my Impertechs. Experienced hunters here who have been out in heavy, prolonged rain are among Impertech's biggest fans.

Breathability versus waterproofness: I have found "breathable" fabrics imperfect for heavier use. On top of imperfections about materials and coatings, come technical problems with leaks at seams. Right now, Simms does as good a job as anyone for me on the whole package- My GoreTex Simms waders don't leak, but hiking streams in October usually gets my fleece pants damp and my socks soaked - from accumulated sweat. I'm wary about going too breathable though in outer layers, because from experienced hunters, I've read often that if it rains ENOUGH, your breathable (you brand here) rainwear will leak - unless it's Impertech.

1). Impertech (or similar) seems best for heavy rain, especially when more sitting (than hiking) is involved. 2). When more breathability needed, the coated or laminate materials can help - but with more risk of some leakage. 3). Combination solution? Hunting for me, which I'm new at BTW, has required a lot of hiking with gear, followed by sitting and sitting, so staying dry matters. The best "bombproof" solution might be an eVent or Shoeller cloth breathable layer (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/...athability.pdf, originally posted by Lujon) under an Impertech outer layer. Tony Russ, in one of his sheep or bear hunting books, also used extra warm layers he'd don when the sitting time came - after hiking in to the site. This combination approach is making sense to me these days - and I'm watching the end-of-season sales for good, breathable outerwear.

Good luck.

I forgot to mention my Dad also use REI's rain suit for one day and was pleased. He brought a backup just in case. So he got to test out 3 brands BUT coming from an old school fella, his answer to which he liked best...they were all good LOL

I think what I might do is purchase the Marmot Precip suit for now then pick up the HH Impertechs when I do go out West and have them for a backup (heavy rainfalls). The Terrain my Dad was in during his Newfoundland hunt was pretty rough and wet...nothing like Alaska of course but enough to test your gear. I know the guide was using Cabela's MT050 raingear and it was his 3rd year using them. He told my Dad they are good for most days unless its a heavy rainfall. He had Impertechs but he shredded the side of one leg and one arm when he slipped on some rocks. He did say he will eventually pick up another set.

Paolo

Question

I was just looking at the HH website and under the Impertech section they have a Roan Anorak Rain jacket which is part of the Impertech collection. Has anyone tried this exact jacket? I forgot that the Impertech Deluxe rain jacket is a 3/4 style which I kind of feel is too long for me (I'm only 5'5'). The Roan Anorak Jacket is shorter but it's a pull over with 3/4 zip. Any experience with it?

http://www.hellyhansengear.com/s-2-impertech.aspx

Paolo

I am a fan of the Marmot Precip. Lightweight, fits good, and has zippers under the pits for venting. The only time I had one fail was when I got caught on a piece of barb wire while out rabbit hunting. I dont think any rain gear could have prevented that rip!!

Default heavy rain thoughts

I own both. I wore a set of impertech till they just fell apart. 5ish hard seasons or so. The Precip is good most of the time but on a goat hunt where it just poured all day and we were climbing through alders for hours the water just presses through it. I still use it if I am close enough to a camp for it not to kill me (its dang lightweight) but have a new set of impertecs now. They are just bomber.

I know HH Impertechs seems to be the prefered choice in Alaska but I'm thinking I have time to before I'll be in Alaska so do I really need to get the Impertechs now???
    You know............. rain elsewhere in the world is just as wet and miserable as it is up here. Just sayin'.................
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    I was just looking at the HH website and under the Impertech section they have a Roan Anorak Rain jacket which is part of the Impertech collection. Has anyone tried this exact jacket? I forgot that the Impertech Deluxe rain jacket is a 3/4 style which I kind of feel is too long for me (I'm only 5'5'). The Roan Anorak Jacket is shorter but it's a pull over with 3/4 zip. Any experience with it?

http://www.hellyhansengear.com/s-2-impertech.aspx

Paolo
    Nope. They have a 3/4 length they just reintroduced, but they also have the regular length impertechs in green and camo. Currently the 3/4 are only available in green. Camo is supposed to hit the shelves in November.

Brett

I have not had a single pair of impertech garment last a full season. I have used the impertech coat and pants, two pairs of both and they all leaked at the end of each season. I cannot even get one freaking season out of impertechs. They tend to crack and leak with minimal use. No longer will I waste money on impertech.

This year I switched it up a bit and bought a pair of Grunden pants and a marmot precip jacket on sale at SW. $60 for the jacket. I have used this combo in complete downpoor while hiking and stayed dry. After a solid season of use I'm happy with both. The pants seperated at the crotch seam late in the year but it was easily repaired.

Even better I received an Under Armour jacket last winter as a birthday present. This jacket, without a doubt, is %100 water tight. After two straight hours of torential downpoor riding in Eureka and three hours of the same heading back out I was completely dry. No sweating, no leakage, %100 dry. The outer layer dried incredibly fast when the sun did poke out and the jacket kept me warm in freezing temps. This has been my favorite jacket by far. I have more use out of this jacket than any impertech I have ever owned and it's still water tight. The price is hefty but worth every penny.

The Roan Anorak seems to be made exactly like the regular impertech jacket and it's considered an impertech jacket and it's $10 cheaper than the jacket. It's a matter of liking a pullover vs a jacket.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    You know............. rain elsewhere in the world is just as wet and miserable as it is up here. Just sayin'.................
    This is true, but humidity(which varies around the world), plays a big part in how wet you get on the inside.

Which Grunden's are folks using for hunting? Their web site shows many products from the Professional line (Brigg, Harvestor, Petrus), the Standard line (Clipper, Petrus, Salto) and the Light Duty line (Nordan)?

http://www.grundens.com/index.php?op...pper&Itemid=27

Which of these compare in weight with the Impertechs?

I'm sure the choices are different for bear or moose hunting vs. sheep hunting as well.

Thx.

Anyone know what the difference between the Impertech I vs. ImpertechII is? I'm having troubles opening the HH website.

Thanks

Paolo

Default impertech

you can pick up the impertech at sportsmans' guide now for 25$ per piece - in plain green...it is indeed the same as all other impertech.....

Took the HH Impertech on a sheep hunt this year, my brother was head to toe in Precip,,,,,we both stayed dry in the 6 days of on again off again rain but I had a tougher time regulating heat ie moisture,,,,,he was able to unzip at legs to get moisture out,,,,,,,I had many more superman changes, seemed like I was dropping the pack all the time to get changed. (forgot to mention, had the sitka raingear bottoms on, total crap, think it was the downpours?,,,,,,,**** things absorbed water at the legs, did not have dry bottoms the entire hunt, stayed dry past that but don't like dragging around wet pants)

I'm going with the precip for the weight number one,,,,,2 for the full or half zip pants, and they seemed to work great,,,,,did I mention weight, I think they are at least half the weight of HH

I think they both have their place. For me personally I live in Impertech tops and bottom while moose hunting or hunting out of a boat in PWS or the like. Generally I'm not humping my whole camp around on my back up and down hills for miles. Its waterproof and doesn't breath so therefore its windproof as well until goretex or other lightweight coats.

However if I am backpacking with camp on my back I leave the impertech at home in favor of the lightweight stuff as it breaths better. Sure some of it can soak through at times. But thats only one walking through the wet brush. And most of my mountain hunting is above the brushline. Sure its all a trade off but if I'm hiking with a heavy pack on I would rather have the breathabilty of the lightweight rain gear in addition to it actually being lighter weight.

To me the best compromise would be if HH would wake up and put pit-zips and leg zips on their impertech line. I'd be all for that!!! Maybe Barney's could convince them to make an "Barney's Alaska Impertech" version. I'm sure it'd sell pretty good.

For now I'll rock the standard impertech tops and bottoms for base camp style hunts.

And my Marmot Alpinist rain coat, granted not as light as precip jacket but haven't gotten wet in it yet, and the Cabelas Dry Plus pants with the full zip legs (something marmot precip doesn't offer) which is super nice for times when its just wet brush you are concerned about or what not. The do get saturated after walking in wet brush after some time but they have yet to tear after 4 years of hard use up and down the goat/sheep mountains. Plus they are lightweight. When my current pair finally bite the dust I'll be replacing with the exactly same thing. I think I can spring for the $50 again rather than like $400 for the Sitka line. I have some brand new still in package pre-cips if someone wants for $40 though. Size medium I believe.
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 11-22-2009 at 07:15.

I picked up the wife a precip jacket today on the super sale rack at sportsmans for less than $45! They had mens XXL for the same price but I have a lightweight event top so didn't have the need for another light rain jacket.