Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: National Park Second Amendment Restoration and Personal Protection Act of 2006

Default National Park Second Amendment Restoration and Personal Protection Act of 2006

Outgoing Sen. Allen of Virginia introduced SB 4057 a couple of weeks ago. I personally find it incomprehensible that I can not carry for personal protection while in a National Park. I would hope that each of us that would like to reaffirm our second amendment rights would encourage Sen. Murkowski and Sen. Stevens to jump on this bill, and urge Rep. Young to introduce our own version in the House. As we all know, if this bill is not passed this session, it will not pass.

S.4057, The National Park Second Amendment Restoration and Personal Protection Act of 2006

The meat of the bill is:

Notwithstanding any other provision of law (including regulations), the possession or carrying of a firearm at a unit of the National Park System in compliance with Federal law and the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System is located shall not be prohibited.

I have not seen this introduced in this forum yet, so I apologize if it has already been addressed.

Default It will never happen.

The present Congress is a lame duck group of boobs. No one is going to sponsor anything at this time of year. The only thing we can hope for, if you are conservative is that we have 2 years of Congressional gridlock. Gridlock spells no new taxes, any new loss of 2nd Amendment rights, and a variety of other liberal ideas including spending earmarks. Only then can we begin to elect or re-elect true conservatives. Being a Republican is no guarantee of being conservative.

Things you don't need unless you are hunting: Firearms
    Places hunting is closed in the US: National Parks
    Why would you need a firearm in a national park? And don't say bears, when's the last time someone has been attacked by a bear in Denali or any national park for that matter?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default since you asked

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Why would you need a firearm in a national park? And don't say bears, when's the last time someone has been attacked by a bear in Denali or any national park for that matter?

[edit] 2000s
    Name, age, gender Date Species Location, comments
    *******, 6, female April 13, 2006 Black She was killed and her mother and 2 year-old brother seriously injured in an attack in the Cherokee National Forest in Tennessee.

This was just the most recent I found in a 15 second search.
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 12-04-2006 at 16:49. Reason: removed name

sOME NATIONAL parks have substanial crimes against persons rates and assaults against park rangers are way up. you do the research. If a park ranger/l.e.o. can be assaulted, then an unarmed untrained camper can be as well. m.h.o.

Default National Parks

Once our second ammendment rights are violated it is all a down hill spiral from there. I grew up in Massachusetts and have been in Alaska since 1979. Look at the gun rights you have back in many East coast states almost zero. Everything is regulated, documented, and written down. Bottom line is if you are over 18 you should have the right to carry a weapon in any non private place. If i own the place exclusivly, then i have the right to ask you not to wear a weapon. The last time i checked a National park belongs to all of us, therfore, it is our constitutional right to wear whatever we want, providing we do not hurt others. To carry a weapon is our right. Once we start giving up this right it will only be a short time until all weapons need to be registered and all transactions monitored. And what the heck why not create a weapons"sin tax" like alchohol and ciggerettes have! It would only be a matter of time! After that maybe consider an axe and a knive and why not a chain saw! All of these could be a weapon at one time or another. Maybe even sticks and rocks! Never ever support ANY measures taking away our gun rights it will only get worse! Especially if we get the wrong person in the white house in the future. Alaska with the same gun laws as New York? A push but if you give them a chance who knows! Just my opinion, Chef

ak_powder_monkey - Last I checked Wrangell St. Elias National Park & Preserve is umm, a Park?! And yes some people are allowed to hunt in the park. And everyone is allowed to hunt in the preserve. How do you get a gun into the preserve when you have to go thru the park to get there? I think what adfraiser is saying is Alaska may need to be written in as an exception here. Always need to keep an open mind here as "their" rules don't always apply up here. As for bears, go down the Copper River someday and see how much bear sign there is in the park. Not saying you'll get attacked, but I won't step foot out of the boat without protection.

ak_powder_monkey,

You may hold the opinion that you are not in need of protection in the National Parks. That is your opinion and your right to travel the park as you see fit.

I, on the other hand, do believe that I should be able to carry a personal protection firearm, from either criminals or predators, regardless of the land status. I believe that to be my right.

The problem as I see it right now is the regulation against firearm encroaches upon my right. If the law were repealed, as proposed by Sen. Allen, I do not see where it encroaches upon your right to travel the park, unarmed.

What is the difference between the National Forest and National Park in regards to firearms? How about State Parks for that matter? Denali State Park, located immediately adjacent to Denali National Park and Preserve, you have the right, to protect yourself and your family against all threats. I, for one, do not believe that I can rely on Park Rangers and Forest Service employess to protect me when I traverse the Park.

In regards to Bear attacks in National Parks, I will have to point out the recent death of Timothy Treadwell and his companion were both killed in Katmai National Park and Preserve. I will grant you that he was not taking the proper precautions and was living dangerously within the Park, but it did happen within the National Park system.

Bear attacks are rare, but they do occur.

A quick search turned up the following deaths within the National Parks system since the 70's. This list is only the deaths occuring within the Park and does not include non-Park related deaths, or non-fatal attacks.

However, I must point out, regardless of Bear statistics, I believe I have the constitutional right to protect myself and my family against all threats. the bear statistics are not a justification, merely an edification.

Timothy Treadwell, 46, male
    Amie Huguenard, 37, female
    Oct-03
    Found by their pilot, dead and partially consumed at Katmai National Park, Alaska on October 6, 2003. Treadwell was world-famous for his books and documentaries on living with wild bears in Alaska. State Troopers investigating the incident recovered an audiotape of the attack.[3]

Craig Dahl, 26, male
    17-May-98
    Last seen alive hiking in the Two Medicine area of Glacier National Park. His partially consumed remains were found three days later.

John Petranyi, male
    3-Oct-92
    Attacked and killed by a female with 2 cubs on the Loop Trail, Upper McDonald Valley, Glacier National Park.

Gary Goeden, male
    found September 1, 1987; missing since July 28, 1987
    Brown His partially consumed remains were found at Natahki Lake, Many Glacier Valley, Glacier National Park.

Charles Gibbs, 40, male
    25-Apr-87
    He was last seen alive following and photographing a female with cubs at Elk Mountain in Glacier National Park. Investigators recovered film of the female approaching in attack mode at 50 yards.

William Tesinsky, photographer
    Oct-86
    Approached an adult female too closely in the Otter Creek area of Hayden Valley, Yellowstone National Park.

Brigitta Fredenhagen
    Jul-84
    Killed at a backcountry campsite at the southern end of White Lake in Yellowstone National Park.

Roger May
    Jun-83
    Killed at the Rainbow Point campground in the Gallatin National Forest just Northwest of Yellowstone National Park.

Laurence Gordon, male
    30-Sep-80
    Attacked and killed at the Elizabeth Lake campsite in the Belly River valley, Glacier National Park.

Jane Ammerman, female;
    Kim Eberly, male
    24-Jul-80
    Attacked and killed at Divide Creek in the St. Mary valley, Glacier National Park.

Mary Pat Mahoney, 22, female
    23-Sep-76
    She was dragged from a tent and killed at Many Glacier campground in Glacier National Park.

Unknown, male
    Jun-72 Brown Killed by a bear that was feeding on food that was left out at Yellowstone National Park.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Lots of drug dealers using our National parks for growing their crap. They don't like unexpected visitors. They are very well armed. They have very good booby traps.

Besides that it is a Right, not a priveledge.

The Government is not allowed to have National Parks. Nowhere in the Constitution will you find it giving the Government the right too have National Parks.

I grew up in western Montana with Glacier Park as my backyard. There have been and still are bear attacks. Galcier is a perfect example. What if some of those pepole would have had a gun? It's against the law to carry gun in that park. The problem is people feed the bears and they become accustomed to people. If the bears have no fear you WILL have encounters. Lots of the attacks are done by blackies. My Dad hiked and climbed all over the park in the 60's. Back then they tried to be quiet in hopes that they could see a bear.

Glacier has a 1000 miles of trails and to not be able to carry a gun to me is just crazy. I remember in the late 80's a couple was feeding a blackie and it finally ran them up a tree. It pulled one or both down a chewed on em a little. They sued the park. Go figure.

The other danger is Mountain lions. I would probably be more concerned about cougar than a griz or blackie. There have been many cougar attacks there and in other places. There was one that received national attention in the 90's because it came into the Lake MacDonald campround on a hot summer afternoon and got a teenager.

I want my gun, thank you very much. Hunt or no hunt.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Liard Hotsprings

A few years ago a grizzly killed 2 or three people at the upper pool in Liard Hotsprings in BC which I think is a Provincial Park. Granted it's in Canada, but it is a park. I remember reading about three boys who were trout fishing at another park in Canada and they were hunted down and killed one by one by a black bear.

Default hmmm...

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6?

Maybe a rabbit trail and off topic here but....
    Its bad enough millions of acres are all but off limits to us as hunters. Ane really, anyone that treks through the area is under the ever watchful eye of our esteemed Park Service. Respectfully, I really think many even on this site just don't get it. "Park service" discussion is often shunned and avoided. My post will be no exception.

This bill isnt just about your 2nd Amendment rights.. The Park Service is all powerful and all knowing. You can't pick up an antler shed or sheep horn legally in the Park. You can't pick up a rock! I have friends who were threatened with citation for picking up a chunk of Jade in the Wrangels. The park ranger appeared from nowhere and admonished a gal about picking up a rock--true story.

And Mark (Bushrat)...Carter IS responsible for the landlocked Park fiasco-- along with his Democratic 1979-1980 cronies.
    Carter....what a guy.

Default In the open

I'm glad you're are stating this stance now, before you run for political office!

Remember: statements may come back to haunt you.

Default Misreading

Maybe my english needs to get "gooder", but it does say: (shall not be prohibited.) Sounds to me like it's ok to carry. Am I missing something?

That is correct. I may not have been clear that I am in support of this bill as it will repeal the current laws which restrict the right to carry. This bill is in favor of second amendment rights and the right to carry.

Default Hey Fullkurl

Quote Originally Posted by Fullkurl
    And Mark (Bushrat)...Carter IS responsible for the landlocked Park fiasco-- along with his Democratic 1979-1980 cronies.
    Carter....what a guy.

Hi Frank,
    I'm not sure why the above comment directed to me, out of the blue. Don't want to get pulled into this discussion really, and don't think my name warrants mention here.
    Sincerely,

Wasn't a guy and his wife killed by a griz while sleeping in their tent in ANWR last year or the year before?

simple solution: don't go to national parks, if carrying a firearm is that important too you carry one somewhere else. I know I don't go to national parks because of the hassles that come along with them. Would any of you complain about not allowing firearms in airports or courtrooms?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast