Thread: Chimo's Guns

Thumbs up Chimo's Guns

I just wanted to pass along a positive purchase today at Chimo's. Ms. kingfisherktn and I have been gun shopping since we got into town and on a suggestion we went to Chimo's.

I had never been there before and didn't know what to expect. Two gentlemen helped us and were able to answer all my daughters questions without making her feel like an idiot.

She ended up buying a Ruger SS SP 101 .357 with a Crimson Trace laser and is quite pleased. I only have tomorrow left before I head hope so tomorrow we'll be at the range having fun.

A thumbs up for Chimo's.

Thumbs down

They lost my buisness when they threw out their list for people's preordered reloading supplies last spring I'll never step foot in there again!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Kingfisher, this is the same experience I have had w/ them. For some reason the guys there do REALLY well with ladies just getting into firearms they are never demeaning and are willing to spend some real time with them to make sure they are comfortable. There are some great gun shops in town, many w/ cheaper prices but my wife always feels intimidated by them. The demeanor of most is that you should know what you want and there should be no salesmanship. Boondocks is another good one but the boys at Chimos have sold my wife all of her guns and she has been super thrilled in every aspect of her dealings w/ them. I don't mind spending a little more for that type of service and they did a better job getting her set up comfortable and confident than I could have (I know I tried).

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Kingfisher, this is the same experience I have had w/ them. For some reason the guys there do REALLY well with ladies just getting into firearms they are never demeaning and are willing to spend some real time with them to make sure they are comfortable. There are some great gun shops in town, many w/ cheaper prices but my wife always feels intimidated by them. The demeanor of most is that you should know what you want and there should be no salesmanship. Boondocks is another good one but the boys at Chimos have sold my wife all of her guns and she has been super thrilled in every aspect of her dealings w/ them. I don't mind spending a little more for that type of service and they did a better job getting her set up comfortable and confident than I could have (I know I tried).
    They are not the cheapest around but it's a case of you get what you pay for with them. As for their list . . . it was just a bad idea to start with. At the time components were next to imposable to get and they were trying to be helpful. But as time went on and things got even worse they had to make some hard choices as to which customers and how many of them to piss off.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks, I'm sure my daughter will give them future business.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    They are not the cheapest around but it's a case of you get what you pay for with them. As for their list . . . it was just a bad idea to start with. At the time components were next to imposable to get and they were trying to be helpful. But as time went on and things got even worse they had to make some hard choices as to which customers and how many of them to piss off.
    I have bought firearms and other stuff from chimos but no more EVER, When I tell a customer something I keep MY WORD! I don't sell something out from under them. I will spend the time and fuel and drive to boondocks in e.r. or buy outside before they get ANY of my money.....
    Last edited by LuJon; 10-16-2009 at 23:20. Reason: Removed negative comments
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    I have bought firearms and other stuff from chimos but no more EVER, When I tell a customer something I keep MY WORD! I don't sell something out from under them. I will spend the time and fuel and drive to boondocks in e.r. or buy outside before they get ANY of my money, their word is NO GOOD and in laymens words they SUCK!
    That's why it was a bad idea to start with and it should have been better handled. I flat stopped buying components locally over all the mess, Chimos was not the only one that burned me with a powder list last winter. I just shrugged my shoulders, took the reins of a bunch of group orders and got some guys ticked at me because I could not accommodate them all. I did do a better job of keeping people happy than the shops did but I learned you canít please everyone in the middle of a drought. Not saying they did not do you wrong just that they were no worse in that regard than other shops and they are better than average at most service things, like helping new shooters.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Just put a freebie plow in the buy and sell and promised it to someone, now it would suck of me if I sold it to joe blow after I gave my word. It doesn't matter the circumstances, thats just how it is.
    Μολών λαβέ

Its a nice little gun.I put a set of Hogue grippers on mine for a little extra finger room. With the 180 BB bullets it is a fun handfull

We went to the range today and she shot up a box of 130 gr .38sp and didn't have any problem. She knows when she jumps to the .357 it's going to change.

I've been in Chimo's a number of times and been very happy with the service. More from the perspective of how well they dealt with my wife. I went into Great Northern Guns and one of the salesmen immediately pushed my wife in the direction she asked him not to. Nothing against G.N. Guns as I've been happy with them for years but I wasn't as happy with how they dealt with her. Chimo's was excellent and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a first pistol or rifle or their tenth.

Thumbs up

I bought all of my reloading tools (press, dies etc.) from Chimos, and 5...maybe 6 guns so far. I have never had a single problem there, and I can echo their treatment of the ladies. Being deployed as often as I am, my wife has had to pick things up for me quite often. They always treat her very well.

She just went in last week to order a rifle for herself. Chimo's has earned my loyalty. Even if I have to pay a bit more, I'll keep going back.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Thumbs down Guess it depends on the day

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I bought all of my reloading tools (press, dies etc.) from Chimos, and 5...maybe 6 guns so far. I have never had a single problem there, and I can echo their treatment of the ladies. Being deployed as often as I am, my wife has had to pick things up for me quite often. They always treat her very well.

She just went in last week to order a rifle for herself. Chimo's has earned my loyalty. Even if I have to pay a bit more, I'll keep going back.
    Dec '07 I bought my .500 from them and didn't have any problems. I went into the store, told them what I wanted and gave them my payment. Aside from a little misunderstanding of how a debit card actually works they seemed competent and honest.

Last year my wife purchased a rifle for me as a Christmas gift while I was deployed and had Chimo's do the FFL transfer. Their only responsibility in the entire deal was to receive and log the rifle, notify her when it arrived and do the paperwork. 10 days go by and not word, so she called and was told they hadn't seen anything yet. She gave it another three days and called again with the same response. She called the gunshop in KS where it was purchased and they said "delivered five days ago according to the signature confirmation, we wrote your name on the outside of the box so it'd be easier to see too..." so she went to the store and they finally "found" it. Seems they "forgot" to tell her the rifle arrived, and mistook her for someone else both times she called to check.

Now, that in itself could be irritating but what really sealed the deal was when they charged her $75 for the transfer and talked down to her the entire time ("that's a big gun for a little girl" is one that sticks in my mind). When I found out they basically robbed her they stopped getting my money as I don't deal with dishonest people. What really irritates me is the only reason she went there was because I'd said good things about them, and then they treat her like garbage. I could see if it was only one time, or one person, but in all three of her contacts with Chimo's she was treated poorly and received crappy customer service. I'm glad there are other gunshops I can visit without having to resort to a big-box store, even if it means I drive to Eagle River or Anchorage.

Few years ago I had them sell a scope for me on consignment,had been working out of town for months and had my wife go and see if it had sold,it had sold a week after I droped it off and they just didnt call.gave my wife a check for $600.00 which she took to the bank and it BOUNCED,she goes back and the fun began, a week later another check that did cash.NOT GOOD TO PISS THE WIFE OFF!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Glead to hear things are going well Dean....

AND IRON....

shop up here lost my business for STARTING a list...and holding it in the back with out giving anyone a chance to see it... the first guy on the list was allowed to buy the entire stock... sorry dude... if you wanna shop from home.. get online..

did you prepay? if not you had no contract...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

What ever happen to their in-house gunsmith? He was top-notch guy with great prices. Had him do many triggers at his going rate of $45, and everyone was superb.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    Dec '07 I bought my .500 from them and didn't have any problems. I went into the store, told them what I wanted and gave them my payment. Aside from a little misunderstanding of how a debit card actually works they seemed competent and honest.

Last year my wife purchased a rifle for me as a Christmas gift while I was deployed and had Chimo's do the FFL transfer. Their only responsibility in the entire deal was to receive and log the rifle, notify her when it arrived and do the paperwork. 10 days go by and not word, so she called and was told they hadn't seen anything yet. She gave it another three days and called again with the same response. She called the gunshop in KS where it was purchased and they said "delivered five days ago according to the signature confirmation, we wrote your name on the outside of the box so it'd be easier to see too..." so she went to the store and they finally "found" it. Seems they "forgot" to tell her the rifle arrived, and mistook her for someone else both times she called to check.

Now, that in itself could be irritating but what really sealed the deal was when they charged her $75 for the transfer and talked down to her the entire time ("that's a big gun for a little girl" is one that sticks in my mind). When I found out they basically robbed her they stopped getting my money as I don't deal with dishonest people. What really irritates me is the only reason she went there was because I'd said good things about them, and then they treat her like garbage. I could see if it was only one time, or one person, but in all three of her contacts with Chimo's she was treated poorly and received crappy customer service. I'm glad there are other gunshops I can visit without having to resort to a big-box store, even if it means I drive to Eagle River or Anchorage.
    IME, it DOES depend on the day. Sometimes they're friendly, but you never know what to expect.

Which, is why I don't darken their door unless I'm pretty desperate for something.

That was a pretty bad experience your wife had, and $75.00 is WAY too much, IMO. You might consider calling them on it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thumbs down

it DOES depend on the day. Sometimes they're friendly, but you never know what to expect.
    I wasn't going to reply but what Smitty said mirrors my experiences there too.

The Mother and Cas always great to deal with, the father and younger chubby fellow, well they lack the people skills to operate a business, and come across as its a privilage for you to be in their store. I can do with out all that. Plus if they didn't spend every waken moment at the gun counter bad mouthing Wal-mart and Sportsmans, and actually engaging the customer in every day conversation they might have a chance.

Plus, my last dealing was with the "All knowing chubby fella". I asked how negotable a price o a rifle was because I found one I wanted, and he told me it wasn't and I couldn't find it any cheaper. Well, I did before I even walked into the store and was looking to give them my business one way or the other. Either buying the rifle or having them handle the transfer for me. But, once I told him I had already found one and for almost $500 cheaper, delivered. He got mad and asked what the hell I wasking him about negotiating a price then. Well, Mr IQ of the .223 round on the shelf there, if you would have matched it or even came close, my business would have been yours. Not only did he solidify my earlier visits, I don't even concider them regardless of what I'm looking for, and they think the big box stores are putting them out of business.

Plus it saves me money to support another store, come on 3 Rivers.

Thumbs down

I wanted a stainless 700 .223 and the pop told me the smallest stainless rifle from remington was a 243 which I did not want so I settled on a matte finish that already has rust on it. And YES Remington DOES manufacture a S.S. .223. And here I sit with a $500+ rifle that I really didn't want in our wet enviroment, thanks chimos,
    (W.W said it, come on 3 Rivers. )
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Vince

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

AND IRON....

shop up here lost my business for STARTING a list...and holding it in the back with out giving anyone a chance to see it... the first guy on the list was allowed to buy the entire stock... sorry dude... if you wanna shop from home.. get online..

did you prepay? if not you had no contract...
    I wanted a couple pounds of powder not there entire shipment. If I promised you some of my stock and then sold it to someone else then my word would be no good correct, I grew up in a disfunctional family but still know how to keep my word! Why does boondocks not have an issue, when my name came up I got my powder, Boondocks ya got my buisness
    Μολών λαβέ