Thread: Cow Hunt Success!

Default Cow Hunt Success!

10/7- After getting to the river launch, I killed the battery on my boat trying to start the motor. Hind sight being what it is, I remembered that the battery had been sitting in a small puddle of mostly frozen water so it PROBABLY wasnt fully charged. After pulling the battery and using cables to jump it off the partner's truck, we decided to run and a back up just in case.
    30 minutes later, we were back, motor started and ready to go.
    Our plan was to hunt to lower portion sof Salchaket Slough. We were very near the GVEA Intertie and from Googl maps, the area looked like it had potential. After arriving and setting up the tent, we went into the field to see what we could see. Lots of good country, no moose.

10/8- Rained all night and neither of us were real aggressive about getting up and going as we knew the forecast was for gorgeous weather after this one bit of rain. We got going around 10am -gotta love sleeping in with no phones or anything except the patter of rain on the tent. We spent another 4 hours making a big loop of our local area checking ponds, meadows and open areas. Nothing. We weren't even seeing that much poo. Not good. After wearing ourselves out all morning, we returned to camp for water and a late lunch and decided to spend the evening floating the slough.

I crossed my fingers that boat would start w/o any issues and sure enough, voom! We cruise up river about 30 minutes or so, pull over and let the area settle before we start to float back to camp. We begin floating and using a Bull Magnet, I would make a bull call about every 5 minutes of float. About 6:30 we find another slough that looks moosey and walk up it abit, but the banks are very soft and decided to return to the boat and continue the float to camp. It was a beautiful evening, the sunset was amazing. 20 minutes later we round a bend and as my buddy who was paddling says, "what's that brown spot", my eyes see ears....body.....MOOSE! I immediately look for antlers....no. I look for a calf......no! BOOM! 1 shot and she drops like asack of potatoes in her tracks. I found out later my upper lung shot just clipped her back. We have her field dressed and in the boat by 10. By now it is dark and we are still a good ways from camp so we commence the float back using our headlamps and moonlight. The sky was so beautiful we would turn out the headlamps and just float. We made it back to camp about 11 and were asleep about 30 minutes later.

My birthday was Saturday and I couldn't think of a better way to have spent it other than to have my wife and kids with me. My b-day dinner was a campfire roasted tenderloin. I would post a pic, but I am not sure how to do that here.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

well!!! it is about dang time.... good job....

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Great job!...but uh...you're not allowed to post without a pic

Default great job!

Nice Job - Would love to see some photos!!

John

http://www.huntingsquare.com
    Last edited by hunttalk; 10-17-2009 at 13:50. Reason: link

congrats thats sweet. Makes me want to be out there. You know I never heard Bow make the BOOM noise before. You sure your a bow hunter? lol! hahahaha had to rib you a little over the name and you using a rifle. Hey Happy Belated Birthday.

Hey, that's a great way to spend the B-day!
    It so often happens just that way, "we hunted all day, nothing, nada, zilch, zero, then, when nearly all hope for the day was lost-SCHWING!!"
    I hope you were also able to sleep in the next morning with soft warm sunlight playing on the tent!

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Great story, great game plan (literally!) Makes me not feel so bad for sleeping in on my moose hunt

Default Thanks!

It was a great rip and I am half tempted to senak back over there before it freezes up for good. My buddy still has a cow tag for the area.

The next morning we did sleep in and awoke to a brilliant sunny day. We spent the days exploring different areas, other folks moose camps and tree stands (from bull season) and generally having a great time. It was a blast!

And while my name is FairbanksBowhunter, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I took the cow with a winchester 308 that I was given when I was 10 years old. I sighted that rifle in that year, and have never had to touch it again since. A cheesy bushnell scope and a 180gr. bullet do the trick!

That said, now that I got a boat up and running. I CANT WAIT for black bears in the spring!!! Looking for inersted parties to share gas/expenses with.

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Figure out how to post pictures. It be great to see some. Get that learning curve goin' man!

Way to go man, congrats!

Love stories like that. Congratulations on the moose and Happy Birthday!

Gotta love the .308 too. I've got a model 88 winchester .308 I'll never part with...