Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Crossbows during Archery season!!!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    212

    Default Crossbows during Archery season!!!

    Not in Alaska, but in PA, TX, NJ, and MI have all decided to include crossbows in archery only hunts. I know this does not have to do with AK, but I had to vent about this. I believe in allowing it during firearm season or letting handicap personnel use them during the archery season. However, I think it is a slap in the face to everyone who shoots a bow both traditional and compound. Yes it has an "arrow" and string, but there is no holding the string back and you can rest it like a firearm and put a **** scope on it. I just think that it if you want to hunt in an archery season and you are not handicapped you should learn how to shoot a **** bow.

  2. #2
    Member MNViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    746

    Default

    I respect your opinion and would like to share mine. Since I got back into archery, I have been astounded by the advancements in equipment. Todays advanced compound bows with 80% let off, carbon arrows, sights, and release aids are no more or less sporting than a cross bow. In my opinion they are pretty much the same thing.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    116

    Default the difference as I see

    Mechanically, cross bows and compounds are basically the same. The difference, as I see it, is in the shot. The most critical part of bowhunting is not being busted when you are drawing back, especially at the close ranges most bow hunters are comfortable. It would seem to me that it takes longer to draw back and aim a bow, than aim and shoot a crossbow.

    that being said, i've never shot a crossbow - so maybe I'm missing something.

  4. #4
    Member .338-06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    I know that this is a touchy subject with archers, but I'd like to see crossbow use during archery season, WITHOUT SCOPES. I had to let go of my bows after a neck/shoulder injury.

  5. #5
    Member markopolo50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fenton,Michigan
    Posts
    838

    Default Crossbows

    Yes, we are now able to hunt with a crossbow, with a few restrictions as far as areas and age. Also they are required to get a free crossbow stamp, for information later I believe. The jury is out on the acceptance but most bow hunters don't really like them. I just got a new bow and did not want a crossbow; one reason- I may want to hunt other states where crossbows are not legal.

    Crossbows seem easier to use at the point of the shot and would seem like a firearm. I believe the legalization in Michigan is an attempt to draw more hunters in the field=more state funds. We shall see if it affects the overall harvest here.

  6. #6
    Member MNViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Interesting, I don't think it takes any more practice with a modern bow to become proficient. Modern peep sights make it fairly simple to attain hunting accuaracy quickly.

    Good point about trying to draw unnoticed. That is a big disadvantage for bows vs. crossbows.

    I still don't see holding the draw as much of a disadvantage. 80% let off on a 50lb bow, not too difficult to hold.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

  7. #7
    Member CGSwimmer25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Also consider what could go wrong with a compound. The string catches your sleeve, tubing on your peep breaks when you draw, peep doesnt align when you draw etc.

  8. #8
    Member blasterak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    14A
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I know that this is a touchy subject with archers, but I'd like to see crossbow use during archery season, WITHOUT SCOPES. I had to let go of my bows after a neck/shoulder injury.
    Agreed, I dont mind seeing crossbows in an archery season either. I dont think it would make that big of difference up here. Just my opinion.

  9. #9
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Since a crossbow and a bow primarily due the same thing, I'm not sure how it matters or why it should.

  10. #10
    Member AK145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    640

    Default

    There are so many differences between the two they are hard to compare. What....They both have a string so they are the same? I have nothing against cross bows in general, if they are legal to hunt with in your state great. I just don't believe they should be allowed during ARCHERY season. As stated above, just the fact that you don't even have to worry about drawing the string back at the moment of truth is a huge difference.

    You will see some real hard core supporters on both sides of this issue in other states where this is actually an issue. Go to a site like archerytalk and you can find some fairly entertaining reading on the subject.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Since a crossbow and a bow primarily due the same thing, I'm not sure how it matters or why it should.
    With a crossbow there is absolutely no holding of the string back by the hunter. Yes with most compounds these days you only hold 20% of the draw weight but you must still go unnoticed while drawing and remain steady during your shot. Your not going to stalk an animal with your bow drawn and you cant steady it on a rest. And those of us out here who still hunt with traditional gear see a world of difference between the two.

  12. #12
    Member AK145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    640

    Default

    It's like holding and shooting a rifle, with or without a scope....it just won't go as far.

    I'm not about arguing amongst other hunters, that is not good for our way of life and I think most people agree. I could care less if someone hunts with a cross bow inside a 100 acre pen....just not during ARCHERY season

  13. #13
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,365

    Default

    One must realize a major difference between Alaska and many lower 48 states is game abundance. There are many states where game managers are wringing their hands trying to find ways to reduce deer numbers, and allowing crossbows to be used in archery seasons is another tool to get that done. In most of Alaska game managers are trying to allow hunting opportunity without causing overharvest. The discussion about crossbow/vs trad/compound is repeated in muzzleloader debates whether modern inline muzzies should be allowed, or if only traditional muzzle stuffers, due to the increased accuracy and ease of use of modern muzzleloaders.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    It's like holding and shooting a rifle, with or without a scope....it just won't go as far.

    I'm not about arguing amongst other hunters, that is not good for our way of life and I think most people agree. I could care less if someone hunts with a cross bow inside a 100 acre pen....just not during ARCHERY season
    I won't shoot a crossbow because you can't put FOBs on the arrow

  15. #15
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    It's like holding and shooting a rifle, with or without a scope....it just won't go as far.

    I'm not about arguing amongst other hunters, that is not good for our way of life and I think most people agree. I could care less if someone hunts with a cross bow inside a 100 acre pen....just not during ARCHERY season

    well guess what .. you can get a medical waiver for using a cross bow NOW in AK for bow hunts.


    i dont see any point in being all purist on those that can not draw a bow any more.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  16. #16
    Member AKbarehunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    99

    Default Crossbow

    Being disabled has allowed me to receive a "method and means" exception to the rules of archery hunting. I can use a crossbow in an "archery only" hunt. It allows me to shoot with confidence that I can dispatch my game humanly and quickly. It is the ideal choice for me in a bear stand. You already wait for the perfect shot whether with rifle, muzzleloader, shotgun, bow, or crossbow. The difference I have found is that bears do not "freak out" when shot with my crossbow. I believe they think they were stung by a bee. The walk 20 - 40 yards and fall over.

    I love my crossbow. It is a TenPoint ProFusion with accudraw. The state has made the right decision in allowing disabled persons the use of crossbows in archery only hunts. I am looking forward to a hunt for caribou off the haul road.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I respect your opinion and would like to share mine. Since I got back into archery, I have been astounded by the advancements in equipment. Todays advanced compound bows with 80% let off, carbon arrows, sights, and release aids are no more or less sporting than a cross bow. In my opinion they are pretty much the same thing.
    Yeah well if you really think they are the same try shooting a 3 shot group at 100yrds. with an " advanced compound bow" and,well lets say PSE's new Tach 10 crossbow.175 lbs,mechanical cocking,(can't even pull it back by hand) twin STS, and it bolts on an AR-15 in place of the barrel. Yeah that sounds like bw hunting to me.

  18. #18
    Member AK145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limpalong View Post
    Yeah well if you really think they are the same try shooting a 3 shot group at 100yrds. with an " advanced compound bow" and,well lets say PSE's new Tach 10 crossbow.175 lbs,mechanical cocking,(can't even pull it back by hand) twin STS, and it bolts on an AR-15 in place of the barrel. Yeah that sounds like bw hunting to me.

    Good point.

  19. #19
    Member AK145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKbarehunter View Post
    Being disabled has allowed me to receive a "method and means" exception to the rules of archery hunting. I can use a crossbow in an "archery only" hunt. It allows me to shoot with confidence that I can dispatch my game humanly and quickly. It is the ideal choice for me in a bear stand. You already wait for the perfect shot whether with rifle, muzzleloader, shotgun, bow, or crossbow. The difference I have found is that bears do not "freak out" when shot with my crossbow. I believe they think they were stung by a bee. The walk 20 - 40 yards and fall over.

    I love my crossbow. It is a TenPoint ProFusion with accudraw. The state has made the right decision in allowing disabled persons the use of crossbows in archery only hunts. I am looking forward to a hunt for caribou off the haul road.
    I see nothing wrong with the disabled hunters exception to the rule. I'm thankful you can get out there and hunt brother.

  20. #20
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Believe what you want, but very few people can shoot 3" groups off-hand with a rifle at 100 yards with a basic AR-15..much less an "advanced" crossbow with broadheads. PSE is the master of YouTube marketing.

    I could care less if cross-bows are allowed in archery season. We have enough yayhoos out there already that can't shoot ..what's a few more?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •