Thread: aftermarket gas tanks

Default aftermarket gas tanks

anybody know about any aftermarket gas tanks besides the buddy tanks (2-4.5 gallon), are there any that are bigger than that? I heard about some 10-15 gallon ones but haven't talked to too many people that know anything about them. I have a 2010 rmk if that helps. I plan on going a long ways hunting so it would be nice not to have to drag a sled and have that thing bouncing up and down all day.

Trail tanks makes a replacement tank for your sled.
    http://www.trailtank.net/polaris.html
    http://www.trailtank.net/

Trailtank makes a 15.5g tank, thinking of one myself.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

thanks guys that actually looks pretty good might have to consider that. i had heard about one that is a large tank that is in addition to the 11.5 gal i already have on the sled that sits under and extends out behind the seat i'm not sure about how it would actually work because all the weight would be too far back and probably compress the back of the sled. probably no different than strapping a 5 or 6 gal on the back i guess. not sure if the few hundred dollar investment is worth carrying the 4 extra gallons.

I've not seen one for the IQ RAW chassis like what you are describing, but you never know. If you do a search on the SnoWest forum in the Polaris IQ section you will be able to see just about everything made and customer comments. The majority of the gas can carriers are now made like this pic. You can fabricate your own out of angle aluminum and carry any size can you want.

thanks for the info and the pic. after doing a litlle looking around i may just have to bite the big one and drag a sled with extra gas cans for those extra long rides.

Yep, a sled is required to carry a substantial amount of fuel. Make sure you purchase/fabricate a solid hitch for the sled...much easier to control and keeps it out of the track/suspension. I pull my ice fishing house and gear behind my RMK's with no problems.

cool sounds like a nice set up. i have a sled but im afraid its too short and will bounce all over the place so i guess ill find out when it finally freezes up here in the arctic.

I've always used the 5 or 6-gallon plastic tanks and put them in the rack behind the seat.
    With my Bearcat, I can put two 5/6-gallons back there, or one 15-gallon. It depends on what you want to do.
    The little buddy tanks are cute, and do well for those who won't be out in places like where we are, but when you want to go expedition riding, you need capacity. The 15-gallon poly drum is what you are looking for.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...