Thread: Birch Lake, on the Richardson.

Default Birch Lake, on the Richardson.

I was going to Fairbanks today and stopped in the pulloff to do my bussiness at there $50,000 can, and was looking over the lake, and it was a regular feeding frenzie. I don't know what they were eating, but it was fast and furious. The lake was like glass when I came through, and they were breaking the surface right and left.

This time of the year is when Rainbows do the most surface feeding. Every lake around, you can watch them in schools jumping and feeding on the surface like crazy. I always notice it late fall more than the rest of the spring and summer combined.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Birch Lake the one an hour South of Fairbanks - yes first ice on the lake (4-6 inches) have caught 60 small rainbows in 2 hours, kept 2, something about this time of year makes fishing there right near the pull off good. This was in 2001.

Default Gonna check it out?

Was thinking about maybe making that hour drive on Sunday to see about catching some of these ice-breaking trout. Does anyone have any idea what I should throw out there to try and get them to eat? I have never had any luck at the lakes up here (birch/Quartz) even when people say things are great so would like to go out with confidence this time so any help woudl be great.

Also an interesting question, doesn't the ice cause havoc with your line (cut it). I was fishing grayling yestereday on the Chena and a small sharp piece of ice came by while I had a fish on and I avoided it like crazy thinking it looked like something that could cut right through my line.

One final question, when does the ice become too thick to go and get them. It is supposd to be cold thru Sunday and I don't want to drive out if I am not going to be able to actually get to the fish.

Was'nt any ice yesterday.

Not sure what it did overnight.

I'm not really sure what they are biting on right now, but I would bet a fly rod would work great with them breaking the surface as they were doing.

They might just hunger for any thing right now.

( never fished birch lake so don't take my words of wisdom at heart)

Went out today despite Sportsman report of "slow-good". Unfortunatly I was on the Slow side, or better yet super slow. Fished variety of spinners for a little while, then tried some recommended worms. Got some hits on the worms (floating unerneath a bobber) but nothing that really took off with it. Tried all over the little pull-out area then went back to other "hit" area for a two more hits without swallows and it was time to go. Was there about 4 hours so though it was good to be out of the house (especially with lame FB games this Sunday) it was not great fishing.

P.S. Don't have a fly rod

Default LWF

They are eating LWF's.

This time of year the Lakes are similar to Spring with the same insects doing the same thing.

Birch has a population of Scuds which I am sure did not cause the fish to rise but are always an effective fly pattern when they are present in a Lake or River and should be attempted to be fished

Back to the real issue - Midge fishing - As the lake Turns i.e. Therm-Cline re-adjust in the lake. Productive Zones for fishing tends to be closer to the edge of the lake in shallower water this happens twice once in the Spring once in the Fall.

The first and last flies to fish on a lake like Birch would be smallish at best Might I suggest if you have a chance prior to ice up you try fihsing them with a size 18-20 Griffith Gnat. The fish tend to cruise back and forth eating those helpless almost frozen flies on the surface. They cruise and sip you will notice for the most part a head and dorsal fin rise nice and steady.

Any Who at least that is what I use and have found productive over the years.

Tight Lines! Bets Hurry! 8 degress this AM just south of Nenana.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    They are eating LWF's.

Tight Lines! Bets Hurry! 8 degress this AM just south of Nenana.

well i guess i am hauling the genset andthe space heater today... got to move the equipment down there...

it was icing good there saturday.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well at least you got out jaeger33. Was there ice on the lake? were they still hitting the surface?

If nothing else you got to wet a line, and thats always good. I wonder what Quartz is doing.

It looks like with the cooler weather coming it will be ice fishing in another month.

Good luck all.