Thread: ATV Wagon ??'s

Default ATV Wagon ??'s

Any one have a ATV Wagon? My dad is looking into buying one and was wondering if anyone had any good or bad experiences? We are looking at
    http://www.atvwagon.com/1600aluminum.html

Any info would help.

Thanks,
    Chris

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i replied to your message blaze,

but given the local price on them... the independent suspension s advertised is NOT that great..

they still bounce and bang like a single Axel,, ours bent one Axel and came apart at the tongue (though due to dealer i think)

the tongue is BOLTED on the front, and a weak link...it should be welded or through the trailer to the frame as is common for them

i don't care for tail light as it is mounted protruding off the rear of the trailer.

where we hunt and work out of, it is a 2500 foot climb out, we will push as we go if needed.. that light will be broke if we don't move it.

the electric brakes are nice!!( thumbs up there)

it does carry one heck of a load...in fact it will hold MORE then we should put n it..

if your looking at towing it behind a WHEELER rather then a UTV, you can quickly over load it weight wise. though my 500's will readily tow it... up hilling can be a detrimental issue when the trailer weighs more then the loaded wheeler.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default PackRat

I have two of the Plaschem PackRat trailers, they are fiberglass, dual axel, and have had no problems for the 9 years we have had them. They look very similar to what you posted, but, and I say but because, everything has it's ups and downs!

The alum feature is a plus, easy to repair, if you can TIG weld, or else expensive to pay a shop to repair, on the flip side, fiberglass is easy and cheap to repair, but the dang thing is 300# empty, 100 pounds heavier than yours (what you want).

The dual axel PackRat is a dream, and semi-floats even when loaded with 750 pounds of gear. The first thing to break is always the hinged lid. I have a bad tendency to load cargo on the lid,(my friends always find something to add to the load), and then the hinges fail when you try to open the lid mid-way into your trip to get something out, hinge failure. A non-hinged lid is the way to go IMO.

PackRats, being heavy, do have a saving grace, Plaschem gaurentees(sp?) them for pulling out backwards, trailer and atv. (pull point on the rear of the trailer) We have had to do this many times with a snatch block to double the winch line power and have had no damage! The pull point is really reinforced.

That said, they side hill like a dream and the suspension, while imagionary, is the floating dual axel, with a combination of soft tires. There is a down side to that though, the tires are soft and do provide a soft ride for your 12 pack of beer, but they do tend to get sidewall punctures rather easily, and that is a real bummer. On one trip into Boulder, we burned up an entire patch/plug kit, and used all the plugs we had on one tire sidewall!!!
    Bottom line is, find out the low points of what you want and then prepare for them. Plug kits, slime , air compressor, ...etc.

Good luck on your venture. I will stick to the PackRats. Just stubborn!

Default Second the Pac-rat

I have a pac-rat outfitter (dual axle). I find that even though it is 300 lbs it's still 50 lbs lighter than my buddies aluminum trailer with steel frame. I love my pac-rat and would buy nothing else. You break it and Plaschem will fix it.

With that being said. At a minimum get a trailer with a dual axle walking beam. Everything esle is fit and finish which is up for discussion.

Also, most ATV wagons that I've seen have the rear light busted off if that tells you anything.

Thanks guys..... I'm going to look at the pac rats now too...

We have two of the atv wagons for trail work. They are HEAVY and not well suited for recreation.

The Pac-Rats are good trailers, but the tandem axle trailers still bounce around like a pogo-stick on bumpy trails. I have yet to read about Pac-Rat Owner's telling how all their gear bags get holes rubbed through them by the rough fiberglass and fiberglass dust gets all over everything. All trailers have their defficiences, Pac-rat needs a free-floating tandem axle to reduce bouncing.

The ATV Wagon is a good trailer design, but needs a free floating tandem axle system instead of the heavy duty torsion axles.