Thread: Anyone Blacktail hunt around Valdez?

Default Anyone Blacktail hunt around Valdez?

Thinking about heading down to Valdez to do some black tail hunt anyone know anything about Deer hunting that area? Thanks for the help.

Default boat

you'll need a boat because most deer are a long ways from Valdez.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Default Valdez

Thanks thats what I thought. I'm not going to make the drive now its not worth it.

That makes me curious. Are the only deer in Alaska on the islands? Forgive me if it is a stupid question, that's just what I heard.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Default Deer

Hey you're not the only person thats getting the same idea. Its alot of work and planning to get out to one of those islands. My buddy backed out on a Haul Rd trip today and we were supposed to leave tomorrow. He's not IBEP certified and I am and I dont wnat to make that drive alone. So now I am going to hunt Bear behind Eileson AFB in the Yukon Training Area. Only seen one bear out there but have been told there are alot of Griz/Blackies out there.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

some make it to the mainland but they don't seem to thrive well...

there were some showing up around Anchorage Int. airport a few years back... but i think the geese ate them as they kind of disapeared...

we used to see some along the tide line in valdez on a rare occasion... but some one always ate them soon after so they don't get time to take hold there either.

Moose were just starting to move in past the keystone canyon when we left, i have not heard how they have done... but the first calf was spotted in 03 by robe lake. but the snow there in the winter makes it hard for them to make a living.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well since deer, sheep, goat and caribou are out for me, all I got left is bear and moose. Now I just got to find a partner for next year and I'm set.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Up until about 3 or 4 years ago we used to see deer around the pipeline terminal fairly regular, even in the winter. Haven't seen a single deer on that side since, but the bear population exploded about that time to include a couple new brown bears. I don't think a couple deer can handle living in the same neighborhood as all those bears.

I didn't see them myself, but I have heard from reliable sources that both deer and moose have been spotted several times in the area from Blueberry Hill through Mineral Creek this summer. I've heard more moose reports this summer from within Valdez than ever before. I've seen a number of moose just on the other side of Keystone Canyon over the last year also.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    That makes me curious. Are the only deer in Alaska on the islands? Forgive me if it is a stupid question, that's just what I heard.
    There are deer on the mainland and probably a few near Valdez. The deeper snow and the extra predators keep them thinned down compared to the Islands. There are pockets tho on the mainland with fair numbers of deer. There are three or 4 spots in the Cordova area that produce some deer for hunters, but it's mostly a local knowledge thing. There are also a few on the mainland in the Esther Island area. Anytime there is a deep snow winter like last year tho, the numbers come crashing down.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Default True

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    moose have been spotted several times in the area from Blueberry Hill through Mineral Creek this summer.
    Didn't see one but found some big tracks in Mineral Creek on the 30th of Sept that weren't there on the 27th. So I went moose hunting for a day.

I almost hit a Blacktail with my truck by 20 Mile River (by Portage Cut-off) a few years back. She ran right up on the road in front of me and stopped! I locked the brakes. Then, I watched her run off through the grass. Pretty cool...

Default PWS Mainland

Just to chime in - saw tracks on the mainland in Wells Bay one year. Bottom line, though, it seems like they are way too uncommon on the mainland to justify targeting them on a hunt.

Wow, can't believe you saw one near 20-mile. That makes me nervous. I drive that way all the time. Do they like to jump in front of cars like whitetails?

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

It was the first deer I've seen on the Mainland.. So, I'm probably not the best guy to ask for advise about Deer and headlights. It was the middle of the day, and my buddy and I were going to Whittier with our WaveRunners to "ironically" run out to Knight Island and look for Deer!

I would love to see a Deer population in the South central/Kenai area.....

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    I almost hit a Blacktail with my truck by 20 Mile River (by Portage Cut-off) a few years back. She ran right up on the road in front of me and stopped! I locked the brakes. Then, I watched her run off through the grass. Pretty cool...
    Maybe it escaped from the wildlife refuge that is right there????

I saw a doe and a fawn back in 2002 cross the road in Portage Valley. I figured that they were on walk about from the game park, so I gave them a call. They said that they were not missing any animals.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    Maybe it escaped from the wildlife refuge that is right there????
    Deer from the Sound have made it all the way to Anchorage on more than one occasion, and it makes the most sense that their travel route would be over Portage Pass, through Portage valley, and down along Turnagain Arm. I'm sure it's rare, but I've heard of a number of sightings in that area.

If they could make it to the Wasilla/Palmer area they would thrive. Snow levels there are often way lower than any other place in their range.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default If they could make it to the Wasilla/Palmer area they would thrive

To dang many two legged wolves that would poach em in a heartbeat, sad but true.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

I would love to see a bunch released on the Butte side of the Matanuska. That would be very interesting and w/ the wind from the Knik merging with the wind coming down from the Matanuska glacier it is always blowing the snow of that area.