Thread: What to look for in a humane society dog?

Default What to look for in a humane society dog?

I'm starting to look for a dog for the bush. I'll probably end up adopting from a rescue or shelter. I'm looking for a dog that will be a companion and also used for duck/ goose hunting.

I've had a humane society lab mutt for a while, she's been great. I left her in the lower 48 with my parents because she's a house dog and is gun shy/ won't retrieve.

I'd like another lab/ lab mix. When I'm "shopping" for dogs what should I look for? High energy? Ability to retrieve a ball?

Thanks for any help

ahh a wagging tail.. good luck on your search.. thats a great idea to support.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I use to rescue from the shelters but I no longer do so. You can find some pretty nice retrievers there from time to time.

I still help those that need to rehome their retrievers but on a case by case basis and directly from the owners.
    Currently I have a chocolate female that I can't decide if i'm going to keep as a started dog in training.
    Then I have a yellow female but she is just a future house pet for someone.

As far as what to look for.
    Good gate and movement. No favoring of hips or shoulders to one side or the other.
    A dog that wants to meet you. If you have to go in the cage to get the dog typically means this dog needs special training to better coexist.
    A good retrieve drive is a strong plus.
    Will the dog give to being controlled by a leash. Will the dog allow you to rub it all over.
    Does the dog acknowledge you in the fenced yard. If the retriever doesn't then that means that particular dog may be self employed. Training this dog will require getting this dog to work with the handler.

These are just a few things I would look for when I was considering pulling a dog from the shelter or placing a rescue dog into my started training program. There are others but I need to go.

Make sure it hasnt been brainwashed in "Anti-hunting "...

Rich

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

First I'd listen to Wetlands and consider his dogs. He knows what he has for desire and talent. Not sure why you're looking for a shelter dog because you're going to the bush and I don't want to assume you're reasoning. I'm at the shelter a couple times a month, I also have a rescued Lab who had and still reverts to serious issues with retrieving under any pressure. Put her in the water and she's a retrieveing fool (jumped 20 ft at DockDogs:-). On the ground it's like retraining every time. As you look in the shelters, give the dog a lot of time. I take at least 15-30 minutes just to get a stress free photo. After the dog gets used to being out of his cage try him with a toy, ball and treats. Carry a bird wing and see he is interested. We had one lab mix for 2 months. He never came around and was too aggressive for our female labs. He never showed any interest in retrieving only throttling the other dogs.
    After the last 3 rehomed dogs I can say they are all different and the dog you see at the shelter will probably be a different dog in 2-6 months. Where ever you get your dog please spay or neuter them. Word from the bush communities who are in Alaska Dog News is that there are a multitude of abandoned Lab mix puppies (appearance wise) in the villages. http://www.alaskadognews.com

I've thought about a village mutt and just don't want to gamble. The dogs in my village usually don't resemble labs, puppies usually leave their moms in the 2-3 week range, if they are older than a month or 2 they are so mistreated they usually won't come up to a human, and it's really hard to tell which puppy had which parents.

Wetland Retrievers let me know about the chocolate, I'll be in Anchorage this weekend and would like to meet her if you want to adopt her.

Any thoughts on flat coat retriever/ newfie mixes? There's some 6 week pups in anchorage. The breeds love water so I'm thinking they might be a good fit for my area.