Thread: Cordova info.....

Default Cordova info.....

Looking to plan a hunt to Cordova. In particular Unit 6B.

Anybody been there??

Thanks in advance.
    John

What are you planning on hunting?

CGSwimmer25,
    Good question. Since I really don't know what is there but I was hoping to put myself in a place that has a little of everything. The plan would be to spend the first day or 2 getting the lay of the land and going from there. I would be really happy with a Moose. That means going at the end of October (Juneau resident-but not a hippie ). Otherwise, I hear there are good Brown bear populations in 6B. Also, the possibility for Deer and Goats sounds pretty nice.

Hope that answers your question.
    John

My buddies are commercial fisherman, and they told me the roads around Cordova are like a 4 lane highway for black bears.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default ask someone for the skiihill area.

If you don't have access to a boat for hitchinbrook island, go to the skiihill. The deer are not thick there but there are some to be had. Many streams off the million dollar bridge road and the bears should be plentiful, due to salmon

I have not seen a whole lot of deer over there, But man are there alot of bears!! I spent a week out there last year hunting them and two weeks on deployment. This year I spent a week hunting them and a week on deployment. I saw bears every time I hunted and usually more brown than black. As for moose, I have seen alot from the air but they live in some really thick stuff. It would be real tuff to get to them, but if you have a canoe you could paddle down some of the tributaries and maybe have some luck. As far as goat, I have also spotted quite of few of them in areas that would be pretty easy to get to. I looked into maybe registering and doing a goat hunt out there this year but from what I heard, the locals get in line a day early and get all the permits. There you go, Good luck!!

Default Cordova

I've hunted there a few times for bear. Tons of black bears, I've seen 20 different bears a day there. Plenty of Brown Bears too. I have also seen plenty of moose and goats but I have only been there in the spring, so don't know about the fall. I've never seen any deer on the mainland but have seen some sign.

Gentlemen,
    Thanks a ton for all the inside info. That is the stuff I needed to hear.

If anybody has anything else to add feel free to chime in.

John

private message sent

Default Ducks? Geese?

If you like migratory birds, it seems like Cordova would be a great place. Come to think of it, if anybody wants to take a guy from Anchorage duck hunting, let me know! (I know - wrong forum, sorry to hijack)

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Just moved out of Cordova 5 months ago after spending 2.5 years there. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I hunted bears, deer, moose, ducks, and geese there. I can tell you a few areas for the goats as well. Not all the locals get the goat tags. Some of the areas are open until a certain quota is reached. Plenty of opportunities in Cordova and most game other than moose aren't very pressured.

Default 6 B

6B moose is resident only registration hunt. The early season is no motor vehicles allowed to access the area except for on the Copper River Highway. This includes boats and airboats. The season is closed when a pre set # of moose are taken. Once it's opened to motor vehicles it goes pretty quickly.

As for deer, there may be a few strays there, but you'll never find one hunting. It would be a fluke if you did. 6C has a few but it's a local knowledge type deal. Your best bet is 6D and hunting the islands.

There are lots of bears as advertised and some wolves.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Just moved out of Cordova 5 months ago after spending 2.5 years there. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I hunted bears, deer, moose, ducks, and geese there. I can tell you a few areas for the goats as well. Not all the locals get the goat tags. Some of the areas are open until a certain quota is reached. Plenty of opportunities in Cordova and most game other than moose aren't very pressured.
    Ring King, I was wondering if you might have a few tips that you wouldn't mind sharing about where to go for Brown Bear once in Cordova. Just my dad and I, and we love to pack so "off the beaten path" is great, especially if it means getting away from the crowds.
    thanks,
    Brandon

Default talk to the biologist in Cordova...

Can't recall his name off the top of my head, but he seemed very knowledgeable and willing to share info. I was planning a hunt out there this fall, but won't be able to make it after all. He did say the moose registration hunt in 6B usually closes by the end of September, but the moose hunt in the next subunit east is a general season hunt and open through November, if you wanted to do a fly-in. There are several goat registration hunts, ranging anywhere from almost walking distance from Cordova to fly-in only. Just depends on what you want to do and what animal you want to focus on. But either way, call the bio.

cordova is one of those places that looks great on a map and google earth, cause alders don't show up on maps nor do the swamps...
    its a little over whelming when you hop outa the truck and decide to strike out cross country...
    i've hunted down there quiet a bit and its alot different than most other parts of the state. goats off the road are doable...but you'd better be ready for some brush, water and distance...i picked one off pretty easy but i spent two days on the road eyeing goats and picking my route..had i not..i wouldn't have a goat.
    bears are there but don't plan on climbing a hill for a vantage point..it'll be flat and alder choked, you'll be setting up in one spot and hoping for a couple hundred yards to see...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'm thinking Cordova might be the answer to filming a goat hunt. I'll be there in Sept for ducks also. Love Cordova.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

You shouldn't have any trouble on a goat hunt there. I'll be there shortly after you though. We're thinking the last two weeks of September or the first two weeks of October. If you're going back after the ducks I'd advise you to wait a little bit. There are ducks there when the season opens, but you'll be shooting local birds as the migration doesn't really get going there till October.

RingKing...great info thanks. That might work even better to go in October. Wasn't too impressed with the opener there last year but was told it was good the year before.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

The opener is never as good as later in the season. As I mentioned you'd just be shooting local birds. I always scouted a pond with enough birds to get all my shooting in and just waited on them to come. Once you shoot the pond though it's pretty much done until the migration starts. Lots of runnin' and gunnin' in the early season. Some of the rivers are more dependable during the early part of the year as they act as highways for the birds to follow as they mill about during the day.

My trip up will be a cast and blast trip for salmon, halibut, and ducks. As always the biggest emphasis will be on the ducks, but the places I hunt offer early morning shooting with plenty of salmon on the way out. It'll be too early for any prime plumage sea duck hunting. They will be around, but since they aren't great eating there's no point in shooting them till they have reached full trophy plumage.

The best part about the early season is that the geese and cranes are still around in Cordova. Nothing like bagging some bonus birds!!

Default Television?

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    I'm thinking Cordova might be the answer to filming a goat hunt. I'll be there in Sept for ducks also. Love Cordova.

How can I get on Alaska Outdoors TV?.....I do alot of hardcore solo hunts, just wondering if the cameraman can keep up with me.....