Thread: Denali Highway Still Drivable!

Default Denali Highway Still Drivable!

It has been a global warming kind of fall at the lodge. Jen, who is the host, reports that the temp on the deck has been touching 70 for the last several days. The snow that fell nearly two weeks ago is long gone and spring has arrived? heh heh. Anyhow, I've been out hunting up there, road is in great shape, very few people, and nice and quiet. Lots of ptarmagin and rabbits around, and sadly for the ptarmagin, they have changed white, but the ground around them has not!

Lots of bear sign around, as they haven't begun to think about hiding in a hole for the winter yet. I'm hoping to bust one down this weekend, and remove him from the moose food chain. Wolves are out and about too, wondering if they missed winter.

Hopefully the road will stay open for another weekend after this so I can keep trying to get my son in front of a caribou. Season opens back up on the 21st.

Of course, check the weather and make your own informed decision about driving the highway. If you do drive across, make sure you stop for free coffee! Take some bear and wolf hides back with you!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    It has been a global warming kind of fall at the lodge. Jen, who is the host, reports that the temp on the deck has been touching 70 for the last several days. The snow that fell nearly two weeks ago is long gone and spring has arrived? heh heh. Anyhow, I've been out hunting up there, road is in great shape, very few people, and nice and quiet. Lots of ptarmagin and rabbits around, and sadly for the ptarmagin, they have changed white, but the ground around them has not!

Lots of bear sign around, as they haven't begun to think about hiding in a hole for the winter yet. I'm hoping to bust one down this weekend, and remove him from the moose food chain. Wolves are out and about too, wondering if they missed winter.

Hopefully the road will stay open for another weekend after this so I can keep trying to get my son in front of a caribou. Season opens back up on the 21st.

Of course, check the weather and make your own informed decision about driving the highway. If you do drive across, make sure you stop for free coffee! Take some bear and wolf hides back with you!

Claude
    Is that area motorized for hunting? I was looking at heading down for a few days next weekend (bear), you can PM me with any info. Thanks.

Default Yep, it is open for motorized.

To be clear, you can use a motorized vehicle for hunting on the South of the Denali Highway between the Big Su and the Maclaren. (all other area's of the Denali Highway you can ride and hunt off of, but please do your own checking... ) If your just looking to ride and not shoot anything, you can ride on the North side. There are 100's of miles of trails that take off to the South right from the lodge.

I spoke to F&G about since my lodge is actually in the Clearwater Controlled Use Area, and they advised me that if me or any guests seen something legal to shoot on my property, we'd have to drive the 300 feet down to the Denali Highway, grab what we needed to shoot the animal, pack all the meat down to the Denali Highway, and then, we could drive the meat up to the lodge for processing or hanging.

From March or April until June 30th, you can use motorized vechicles to hunt bear or wolves to the North of the highway.

Right now, what's open is:

Grizzly. Open year round. No tags or sealing required. Only thing required is a hunting licences. Limit one per year.

Wolves. 10 per day, I think.

Black bear. Open year round. You do now need tags to hunt these. Tags are free, and they give you three of them for unit 13.

Ptarmigan, rabbits, grouse, etc. open.

Again, check the regs yourself. Half the time I'm full of crap on my interpetation!

Hey Bud,

I'm not trying to sharp shoot you, but I think you missed a paragraph in the hunting regs. I found this on page 28 of the regulation:

All brown/grizzly bears must be sealed. Brown/grizzly bears taken in most units must be sealed within 30 days of the kill. Special sealing requirements apply within the brown bear subsistance hunt areas when bears are taken under subsistance registration permit (see subsistance areas on page 29). Any of these time limits can be shortened by ADF&G.

You are correct that a $25.00 metal locking tag does not need to be purchased before taking bears in this area.

I just didn't want anyone getting in trouble.
    PC gag in place.

Default Sharp .... shot!

No worries on the shot! I didn't even catch that was removed this year. As noted by my disclaimer, please check the regs yourself.

Thanks for the clarification.

Claude

Also, evidence of sex must remain naturally attached as well on the bears in unit 13.

Default Is it still open by vehicle?

Is it still driveable? Thinking of trying it this weekend for bear. Will have a tipi and woodstove - prob go in from Paxson side.

Troopers said that you can't make it through due to high elevation snow - -

Sure don't want to spend the whole winter in there if we get drifted in behind us......

Default Denali Highway

Not sure about not driving the highway. We are still getting traffic by the lodge, but we never go out via Paxson. We always go out via Cantwell. So far, so good. My brother just went in last night with his 2 wheel drive ranger pick-up. (I don't recommend anyone doing this, except him.... heh heh!)

Going via Cantwell keeps it so you don't have to climb over any mountain passes, such as Maclaren summit.

As always, everyone needs to do their own research regarding their own safety in whatever they are doing.

Good Luck! Should be some good bird hunting and bear hunting, and caribou hunting!

Looks like there is still very little snow if the weather cam at Summit (south of Cantwell a few miles) means anything http://akweathercams.faa.gov/viewsite.php

I know it's a bit west of denalihunter, but it gives a good indictation on snow level in the area.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

As of this morning at 10:30 the temp at the lodge was 22 degrees and it was lightly snowing. Thanks for the link of the weather cam at Summit AKDoug!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

About and inch in Fairbanks today... and no accidents at the light here on third,(yet) folks are actually behaving a little.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    About and inch in Fairbanks today... and no accidents at the light here on third,(yet) folks are actually behaving a little.
    Saw a toyota 4x spun out on Lathop and the Mitchell. Off the shoulder pointing the wrong way about 5:15 tonight. Can't figure why he was there, seems like he could have just turned around and drove off.

The morning drive will be lovely
    Tim