Thread: Sitka Ascent or 90% Pants?

Question Sitka Ascent or 90% Pants?

I'm debating on whether to get the Sitka Ascent or 90% Pants. They will be primarily used for hunting Moose and Caribou in Newfoundland and Moose/Grizzly/Elk in Western Canada. Are the Ascent Pants a lot lighter than the 90% pants? If I were to wear a heavy base layer under them, would that be warm enough for temperature around the 0 degree mark? I'm planning to use these pants for a lot of walking so I would rather wear layers than having pants that are too insulated. How warm would the 90% pants be vs. the Ascent pants?

Thanks

Paolo

Which 0* are we talking about the C type of the F type? I prefer the Ascent pants. They dry fast and work well with layers. I find the shell pants like the 90% just too warm in most cases. If it were me I would probably take the Ascent with a good variety of different weight merino wool long johns. I tend to hike pretty hot though, if you are prone to being cold then the 90's may be a better choice for you...

Sorry that would be 0 degree Celcius. I tend to get very warm easily, especially when hiking. I work up a good sweat so it's important that I have something breatheable. I prefer to dress in layers so if it's just a matter of switching from medium to heavy base layered pants than the Ascent pants are perfect. Thanks

Paul

For any hunting in temps about 30F, I would go with the Ascent pants. The 90% are designed for more cooler temps and a tad heavier than the Ascent. I've been wearing the Mountain pants for close to 3 years now and that's all I wear during the fall hunting season in Alaska. I think the Acsent is the newer version of the Mountain Pant.

For 90% money you can pick up the Westcomb pants and if you are like me and don't care for "camo" then they are far and away a better product! Very expensive but I lived in them this season!

I have the last years model but here is a link to the "new"version
    http://www.westcomb.com/products/pro...TypeSeasonID=7

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    For 90% money you can pick up the Westcomb pants and if you are like me and don't care for "camo" then they are far and away a better product! Very expensive but I lived in them this season!

I have the last years model but here is a link to the "new"version
    http://www.westcomb.com/products/pro...TypeSeasonID=7

Agreed. They are outstanding!!!

Brett

ascent pants. 90% are too heavy for what you're doing, especially if you are wearing layers underneath. unless you will have a lot of stopping and waiting, etc.

westcomb pants are good from what i have read, but the ascent pants are good, i love mine.

I dont really care for camo but for $59.99 you cant go wrong for Sitka Ascent pants can you??? Cabelas has a sale but they must have made a mistake on their website because their REG and TALL Ascent pants were listed at $59.99..which I order and have an invoice showing ...but now it shows the REG for $119.99 and TALL for $59.99. I'm glad I ordered when I did

I also purchase the Sitka Celcius Vest for $49.99 and the Sitka 90% Jacket for $199.99 all size Medium/Regular in Realtree AP HD Camo.

I figure for $300 and $5 shipping that's not a bad deal for 3 pieces of Sitka gear.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    ascent pants. 90% are too heavy for what you're doing, especially if you are wearing layers underneath. unless you will have a lot of stopping and waiting, etc.

westcomb pants are good from what i have read, but the ascent pants are good, i love mine.
    Ascents would be my choice if bow hunting. If rifle hunting the Westcombs. Having both (and I like both) I can say the westcombs are much tougher.

Brett

What sort of temperatures would the Westcombs be good for in hiking conditions? ... say 80% hiking/20% standing and having a medium weight base layer underneith.

Paolo

I would use them comfortably anywhere that I would use the Ascent pants. They are "close" in material weight perhaps a bit thinner but the westcomb are WAY tougher and in my opinion more comfortable. They have a built in belt that almost seemed cheap at first but after logging some miles under a pack is absolutly perfect! No waist bunching it kept everything flat and comfy under any weight pack! My one complaint is some thread getting pulled at the ankles. This I am sure is from constantly kicking through brush and raspberries! No hole have developed or anything like that but definately some "wear". My Sitka gear would have been in tatters from the same treatment! A set of gaiters would have cured the problem totally. I will porbably get years more use out of them just like they are but I may just contact Westcomb after the season just to see how they treat me. <grin>

I will add that the newer Sitka Gear doesn't seem as tough as the older versions, which came with more options. Too bad, I really liked the 90&#37; gear that made back then.

I liked the original mountain pants except that the stitching came out of it and they totally fell apart.

Been wearing mine for about 3 years now and the stitching is fine, you must have got a bad pair, didn't Sitka replace them with a new pair?

Sitka just got back to me and they said the only year that made the TreeStand Camo and RealTree Camo was 2008...so it looks like that's the reason why Cabela's was clearing them out...they were running low on stock and didn't have much to match with all the pieces. I can't wait to have mine...should be in by early next week.

Paul

Mountain Archery has the MossyOak and Realtree stuff on sale for 30&#37; off plus their Hunt of the Day usually has some good deals too. Just bought a Sitka ball cap for $20 shipped the other day from them.

If anyone is looking for a pair of the 90&#37; pants, you can get them here for half the msrp. I finally managed to get my hands on a pair in lg and Mountain Mimicry camo.
    http://02c3845.netsolstores.com/inde...OD&ProdID=3587

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

so what would a comparable brand be with out the camo pattern?

does north face or Mt hardware have any thing similar?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    so what would a comparable brand be with out the camo pattern?

does north face or Mt hardware have any thing similar?
    Comparable to the 90%???? My favorites are the Mammut champ and Sporthill 3sp for heavier/warmer pants comparable to the 90%. For lighter pants the Ascent (camo) and the Westcomb.

Brett

A little more than a week ago an on-line archery shop had a limited supply of 90% pants on sale for 50% off...so I bought a pair. When I had tried these pants on I found a Medium felt to small, and the Large slightly big...so I went with the Large. Slipping them on for a couple of minutes made them (to me) feel like they were not quite cut right. I wore them around the house for about a hour and the longer I wore them, the more they seemed to fit like a good pair of gloves (I was pleasantly surprised). I next headed to The Butte on a really windy and cold day. I climbed to the top, came half way down and realized I lost a lens cap for the camera, so back to the top and finally down. I did lots of bending, stretching, and climbing and these pants were as comfortable as a pair of my Browning Hydrofleece pants, but they beat the heck out of them in the hard/cold wind! I think I am going to like theses pants...I just could not spend over $225 for them...for $110 I would buy another pair I plan to use them when winter hiking on Lazy Mountain and see how they do. So far so good!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather