Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An exclusive sheep hunt for non-residents (DS233)

Thumbs down An exclusive sheep hunt for non-residents (DS233)

Looking at the 2010-11 drawing permit supplement, I noticed that there is now a single private hunt for a non-resident in 14C. Most of the non-resident tags in 14C are accompanied by an identical hunt for residents with most of the tags going to the resident draw. That's great. The one exception is the early hunt in Eagle River valley. The hunt running from Aug. 10th - Aug. 22nd has zero resident tags available (DS133 isn't listed this year), while a new tag for non-residents only (DS233) is listed. There are resident tags available for the later hunts - DS134 and DS135, but nothing for the first (and arguably best) season. So for the first 13 days of the season one lucky non-resident and their guide will have a private hunting area in the heart of one of the most sought-after sheep hunting areas. If this isn't an administrative error, then this is quite a disappointment.

Brian,
    I noticed that too, hopefully it is a typo and it will be corrected in a "2010-2011 permit supplement corrections" notice.

but if it's not...

Maybe somebody can educate me, because I am always open to learning and to new ideas. Why would the nonresident hunter get the first opportunity to hunt sheep in that drainage next season?

While we are on the subject of sheep hunting...nevermind I'll start another thread

Ok Brian you know you can not keep the 2010-11 supplement to yourself, where is fish and game hiding it? I checked the website and they say it will not be released till 1 Nov 2009.

I sure hope that is a typo you noticed if not how did that change slip by all the resident hunters?

Default I never draw anything,

but not even having the chance while some nonresident gets a shot is enough to piss a guy off!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Better slow down!!!!

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/permi.../draw_supp.pdf

THIS LINK IS NOT AVALIBLE ANY LONGER!

rom oakmans post. iknow we all read it BUT! it may have been a mistake if you saved it it may not be accurate.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I noticed it too Brian, and I was upset about it also. It kinda sucks when we, the unique people that choose to live here, dont get priority or rights to hunt an area like that.

Well I downloaded and printed the whole supplement, now their saying it might not be correct? That's a lot of paper I just wasted and now the tree huggers are going to come after me......thanks ADF&G!!

I was gonna mention that (and much more) in the other thread that linked to the supplement. Note how many "new" hunts there are listed for non-residents for sheep in Unit 14. In 13D I noted that non-residents are getting approx. 25% of the sheep permits.

Was also surprised that the non-res moose opportunity in all of Unit 13 went up so much (DM 335-339), a jump from 50 total permits to a total of up to 125 permits, more than double what they allotted this year when they opened it up to non-residents for the first time in a while. And these newer permits don't appear to be relegated to just outlying areas of unit 13 either.

On the sheep side, there is more to it down the line that doesn't bode well for resident sheep hunting opportunity. If this supplement turns out not to be accurate, it would be more than amusing to me <grin>.

oh oh, I know! The hunt must have gone to registration for residents

I just sent off an e-mail to Sinnott and Coltrane. I'll let you guys know what they say if I hear back.

I also couldnt belive the jump from 10 to 25 non-res tags in most of the areas in unit 13.

Its intersting that this has come up. I have my own thoughts on this sheep tag "mistake" but I will keep them to myself. It looked as if some cow moose hunts were missing as well, but I was waiting to see if it was a mistake or not.

Purely for speculation,
    Is there any way a resident can purchase a non license and apply as a non?

Purely for speculation,
    That would be fraud just the same as a non-res. purchasing a res. lic. and applying as a res. IMO.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    Purely for speculation,
    You can denounce your residency, if you send back your PFD.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Make no mistake about it. Alaska resident hunters are poised to take it in the shorts over the next few years in ways that we can't even imagine.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default $$$$$

Oh the power of the almighty dollar. This has been in the cards for awhile, money blinds people, even those who claim to believe in 'sustainable yield' (as long as they get theirs).

guiding industry does have some pull with the board. nuff said

Default I think...

If there is a hunting area in Alaska that has to have antler/horn restrictions or permit draws it should only be open to Alaska residents. Let the out of state hunters hunt the areas that are still "wide open". If they want to let non residents draw permits then let them draw a permit in a "wide open" area that has no resident antler/horn restrictions and no permit draws. That thought should raise a few hackles!

Here is Mr. Sinnot's response to my e-mail, explaining why the first hunt in Eagle River next year will be exclusive to one non-resident with no resident opportunity at all.

It’s no surprise that as complicated as Alaska’s hunting regulations have become, it is increasingly difficult to juggle all the moving parts. I have fought hard to not only maintain, but to increase resident hunting opportunities in Unit 14C, but the nonresident sheep hunting allocation was a decision by the Board of Game. We have to allocate 13&#37; of all “rifle” sheep permits to nonresidents. We tried to take them from each hunt area equally, but in an area like North Eagle River there is only 1 permit per hunt period. The reason why the nonresident allocation went to the first hunt period was we intend to rotate these permits so that next year the nonresident will get the second season and the year after that the third season in all the Unit 14C sheep hunts.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast