Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When will the rivers up north freeze?

Default When will the rivers up north freeze?

Im still catching plenty of monster Bows up north Stay on the Kenai!!!!!
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

when it goes below 32

Rivers flow
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Varies year to year. Take some water temps next time you are out casting. Some seasons it would be close to frozen by now. Obviously not theis year.....happens. When a cold front come in things will change RAPIDLY. Enjoy'em while you can! Tight lines.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default How far North are you talking ?

I just got back up on the "slope" last Thursday .I've been across the Sag and the Kaparik Rivers ad I'd have to say fishing is done for this year.
    Quick question : I've heard of an ice dam letting loose on the Kenai,paticularly the upper river.What's really going on ? Help please I've only got 5 days and a get-up til fly-day.Thanks.

Ice dam up Snow River (drains into Kenai Lake) went out last week. Upper Kenai River came up four to five feet over the week but has since dropped a couple of feet the last couple of days and should continue to drop as quickly as it went up as the water drains out of the ice dam.
    The crest hit the middle river yesterday and the water has stopped coming up in that area. It should follow the same pattern as the Upper and begin to drop on a fairly rapid pace. The water level looks about like early to mid July water in the middle Kenai and it is still off color somewhat but fishable. Just more glaciery right now.
    Last edited by iceblue; 10-16-2009 at 11:36. Reason: added word

Since so many inthe media declare that Golbal warming is a farce, and its not freezing 3 weeks later than usual here because..........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Seasons vary. Climate ranges ebb and flow. Ice ages have come and went long before the human race could flatter itself with such power over the planet.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I drove up toward matanuska glacier on Thursday and there was ice all over the banks. Ice on can't be far off.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Thanks IceBlue

Now thats the kind of report that helps a fellow out.Keep up the good work.Thursday is getting closer...........

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default parks hwy

coming home from anchorage last night.. the Nenana river was skimming over at the first bridge... ( cantwell) flow ice all the way to Nenana.

all the ponds iced over while we were in Anch. chulitna to Nenana...

the Tanana has flow ice in it now to.

the smaller streams troublesome, byers, Honolulu.. are still running but Very low in preparation to icing.

won't be long...

we had 12 deg Friday when we left town here. and are at 22 this am.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yeah this 3 day cold snap has slowed fihing way down.Went out last 2 days and worked (played) hard for 3 bow's. Nice & sunny though.

fished lake louise thursday and friday, water temp was 47, air temp was 29F, sunny...almost all ponds north of sutton were frozen and past sheep mt. all ponds, lakes and streams were froze or had ice on them...wasilla ponds are icing over in the AM. lake louise we boated and released 5 lakers, nothing over 21". all fish caught in 35-50 feet of water trolling big krocs and k13 kwiks. was great calm weather and fun without catching lunkers

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    Im still catching plenty of monster Bows up north Stay on the Kenai!!!!!

Proof is in the pics Muzzyman...have any nice shots?

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Proof is in the pics Muzzyman...have any nice shots?

Fish On!

This little guy is a tad over 21. The date is on the picture. Funny thing, caught a bunch of these guys on my very old backup rod

Default Monsters?

I thought you were catching monsters? No disrespect to that beautiful fish!

Quote Originally Posted by bookram View Post
    Well i lost what was maybe around 26 and landed a 23ish. I consistently pull 20+ inch fish out of the northern waters while everyone else complains about how slow it is. A "monster" in my eyes is maybe 22+? haha. Sorry man i hate the kenai so i dont pull 30+ inch bows even though they are in these waters. Look at my avatar, 29 incher. So stick to the kenai catching your 30+ babies(if you even fish there) out while i catch 20+ babies out of a creek that i have to myself and i already know your gonna say that you pull 50+ inch bows out up north and that if i knew how to fish i might do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bookram View Post
    And dude no disrespect, I just really hate the kenai due to the people in general. I would rather catch 15 inch bows by myself than 30 inch bows in a crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post

This little guy is a tad over 21. The date is on the picture. Funny thing, caught a bunch of these guys on my very old backup rod
    OOOH....Envious! Nice Fish!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

nice fish muzzy....say that wasnt at sheep was it? looks like a rainbow that i stumbled upon that was hooked to a stick and stringer while the owner was fishin downstream a little.

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast