Thread: Chasing Goats in the Sound

Default Chasing Goats in the Sound

Getting ready to go hunting out of Whittier, have plans for deer, black bear, and would love to chase goat. I was thinking the east side of the sound(Unit 6D RG242 or RG244) would be a good spot to start. But I am open to suggestions from somebody with some experience goat hunting in the Sound. First and foremost I would like to chase goat and use deer and bear as a back up plan. Any help is appreciated, Thanks ahead of time.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 10-16-2009 at 08:10.

Wish you the best of luck out there! I have been thinking of chasing goats in PWS for some time but have not gone out and done it. I have been able to find very little info on people hunting them in PWS, not sure if so few hunt it or if everyone that does is closely guarding their secret area?

Default Secret Guarding

But, I would check the success rates before heading out. There probably is a reason no goats were killed in RG244 last year. (And only 4 in 4 yrs)And I have a pretty good idea why. Its brutal.

Also, I think a lot of the good Goat areas are Native but I might be wrong about that. Don't have a map with me now.

And no I'm not trying to scare anyone away. I decided that it was a little too much to hunt and I go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by yaifw View Post
    But, I would check the success rates before heading out. There probably is a reason no goats were killed in RG244 last year. (And only 4 in 4 yrs)And I have a pretty good idea why. Its brutal.

Also, I think a lot of the good Goat areas are Native but I might be wrong about that. Don't have a map with me now.

And no I'm not trying to scare anyone away. I decided that it was a little too much to hunt and I go elsewhere.
    Every time I have been out in PWS bear hunting or fishing I have glassed the mountains for goats. Yes I have seen them up there but like you decided it might not be worth me trying to get up to them as most of that jungle looks impassable.

Last month when I was working out of Valdez, there was quite a few hanging out just above Pt. Freemantle. Just looking at the terrain, you could easily anchor your boat in Heather bay and hike up the backside and harvest one.

Default Freemantle is closed

That is RG249 and is closed this year by emergency order.