Thread: Log Cabin Building Books

Default Log Cabin Building Books

I know this topic has been covered on here before, I remember reading it! However, now that I need to refer back to it/them to get the titles of some highly recommended books, I can't find it!! Not even in doing a search am I finding what I am looking for......

Does anyone remember where this thread can be found? Or possibly provide the best log building books that are out there? I have the one by Tom Walker, but I remember there being a couple of other really good books on the subject as well.

I'm new to the board, so I've not seen that thread. However, I have a pretty extensive collection of books on log working and rustic construction style.

If you browse the book offerings from Lee Valley Tool, you'll find some great old books that are reprinted from the early to mid 1900s, as well as modern selections.

THey have books on all sort of other stuff as well, their new flash catalog is cool to browse.

I have a handful of their older reprints...good stuff.

Jim

I have a book called "Alaska Log Building Construction Guide" written by Michael Musick.

It was distributed at one time for free by Alaska Housing Finance Corp.

Its a good book about building with logs, problems, solution, energy efficiency, mechanical systems, etc. Not sure how you'd get ahold of one...maybe on amazon, title wave or thru AHFC.

Default Tom Walker's Book

I have two copies of these, both new will sell one for $20. Best deal you will find. Shipping in AK for another $2 (even better deal).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...seller=&colid=
    Attached Images Attached Images

A couple of links for ya,

www.loghomeslogcabins.com
    www.logrepair.com

Most of the material out there doesn't cover what we are looking for.....we are planning to build the next cabin out of D logs, no special notches and/or grooves, no dovetailed corners.....just a simple, stacked log with butted corners. Does anyone know of any material that just sticks to these basics?

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Most of the material out there doesn't cover what we are looking for.....we are planning to build the next cabin out of D logs, no special notches and/or grooves, no dovetailed corners.....just a simple, stacked log with butted corners. Does anyone know of any material that just sticks to these basics?
    A couple of the books I got from Lee (including the Mackie book) touch on all kinds of notches (including d logs and "flats").
    That poster with the Alaskan cabin book for $20 sounds like a deal...

Also, would someone need a manual for building with d-logs? They look pretty straight forward to me if you are not cutting notches...though maybe I'm missing the subtleties...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post

an afternoon of lunch and a pen and i could teach you all you need to know about D logs... there are some basic's that are learned from hands on. but the pricipal is

level across the top. end to end.

level across the face as you screw, nail, peg them in... this will assist your walls remaining level...

level the INSIDE flat face as you go up... use 4x4 etc screw to logs for support,

screw hole will seal up naturaly.

keep your running round level with the rounds adjoining it.

cut out window and doors when your done... you can leave log ends in the hole( does not need be solid hole) but do not try to finish the widow opening as you go up...

a Hayden (Sp?) lumber maker on a 2x6 and a level will finish this job..

screws.

minimum every 24" and two in each but joint one down one angled into the other.

saws, squares, etc are all part of it too... having the right blade and bar on your chain saw will reduce the work you will do in the end.

making square cuts on the buts and sealing those joints... do not use the foam sill seal in your buts, they will not stay tight.

when mine are done, you can not get a sliver of paper in them and they are air tight.

a 4 inch grinder with sanding disks is your friend to clean up chatter and cuts that you fubar.

i have trained a lot of guys that did not know how to use a hammer. build log homes. just follow the basics and you'll do fine, the minor inconsistencies, are what make the thee sided log homes the unique pieces they are, other wise they would all be the same.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Here's a few things I've found online. Most of the info I have found is just info for people buying logs or having someone build their house. They don't get into a whole lot of detail but it gives you somewhere to start.

http://www.bearfortlodge.com/bearfor...d-pass-part-i/

http://www.bearfortlodge.com/bearfor...-pass-part-ii/

http://books.google.com/books?id=qYrgiY3GjDoC&lpg=PA56&ots=mL9Zm21PvB&dq=b ut%20and%20pass%20log%20homes&pg=PA57#v=onepage&q= but%20and%20pass%20log%20homes&f=false

This shows how to notch a butt and pass:

http://www.deadwoodloghomes.com/notch.htm

This is an "organization" for butt and pass. The website has some decent (basic) info. They are trying to sell you a class. I'm not sure about a lot of the info and the guy talks himself up like he's some kind-of "log home messiah." But it gave me a few ideas.

http://www.loghomeassociation.org/

Here is a preview of the book that AKFishOn has. I would definitely recommend. It doesn't have a whole lot about butt and pass but loads of info that will come in handy. I checked it out at the library but I plan to buy it because I will use it as my main reference.

http://books.google.com/books?id=9KK...age&q=&f=false

Hope this helps. I am in the same boat as you are. I'm just trying to find out as much info as I can. Share what you find with me too. What I have figured out is there are so many different ways to build a log cabin that you just have to get the info and start working. Start drawing a sketch and build a model with dowels this winter.
    That's what she said...

The Log Constructions Manual by Robert Chambers is the best log building book out there for Full scribed Saddle Notch log homes and cabins. Can't beat it.

Default 501 notch

That's the 501 (shrink to fit) notch that gets better (tighter) rather than worse with time. I think that's the book I have too, but its in a box somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I have a book called "Alaska Log Building Construction Guide" written by Michael Musick.

It was distributed at one time for free by Alaska Housing Finance Corp.

Its a good book about building with logs, problems, solution, energy efficiency, mechanical systems, etc. Not sure how you'd get ahold of one...maybe on amazon, title wave or thru AHFC.
    It's still free online Alaska Log Building It's a big one 20 megs the web site says it's not copyrighted.
    Chuck

Default This should be in the library of books that are available on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    It's still free online Alaska Log Building It's a big one 20 megs the web site says it's not copyrighted.
    Well done, posting that. Hey, mods, you listening here?