Thread: Ds384

Default Ds384

Does anyone have any info on DS384, unit 23 and 26A sheep, DeLong Mountains? Never been up that way before and am interested in applying for the tag. I guess I'm primarily interested in accessability, air services and strips available, etc.

Thanks. Can't wait to go sheep huntin' again!

I can't imagine the sheep in unit 23 getting all that much pressure being that far off the grid.

Default I'll check

as I know someone who knows someone who may have done this this past season.

Default Delong Mtns

There is a carrier that flies out of Kobuk that go into the Delongs, not sure what the name is. But I thought it was mentioned here before, and couldn't find it, someone did mention Coyote will fly into the western Brooks but that would cost way too much, due to the lengthy air miles. I did some research on the Noatak river area, and it sounds like a very good area for sheep, if you can find the right drainage, then again... you gotta draw the tag.

Friends who used to live in Ambler killed several rams up there during the spring subsistence season. Nice, old rams with lots of character.

The success rate for that hunt is good for those who hunt it.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    as I know someone who knows someone who may have done this this past season.
    Think I might know the guy that knows someone who might have drew this permit this year but I never heard anything about the hunt either?

Does anyone fly into that area from Kotzebue?

Also, how are bear numbers up that way?

Default I bet you do!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Think I might know the guy that knows someone who might have drew this permit this year but I never heard anything about the hunt either?
    I will ask him today how his friend did up there if he even went or not.

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Does anyone fly into that area from Kotzebue?

Also, how are bear numbers up that way?
    The only guy that I knew that flew that way from Kotz was Eric Sieh and he is now flying for the Feds.

I used to live in that area. There are a lot of sheep up there. I was a resident of that unit, so I did not have to draw. I don't know much about the draw permit. On my last sheep hunt (Fall 07) we saw 12 grizzlies, wolves, and many sheep. Great place to hunt, tough place to live.

Thanks for all the info so far. Sounds like an interesting area to hunt. Just my style...

there are quite a few air taxis from kotz that fly up that way in the fall if you book early enough. we have seen quite a few griz in 23 but only a handful of black bear (not many maybe none in the delongs). Access is tough either plane or for people that live here snowmachine. Havent tried the spring hunt but hope too in a few months. People up here are kind of quiet about sheep hunting from what I've seen at least pretty vague about where there going and it doesn't seem like a ton of people hunt them up here, not much meat for a really long ride.

Default c04hoosier's pm me

Hey, I went this year and if you pm me, or call me at (907)895-4978 and can give you some info. Here's the sheep and griz I shot there this year. The sheep was 9 or 10 the bio said. Griz was 7'9" with a 23" skull.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That ram looks pretty small in the body, how much meat did you get off him? Nice animals though.

I'm not exactly sure how much we got off of him. It felt like a lot though packing him and our spike camp back 6 miles to our base camp. I'm guessing that we had about 65lbs of boned out meat. his horns were 32" X 12 1/2". the bio up there told me that most of the rams up there die at 7/8 curl. The growing seasons are very short and winters are harsh.