Thread: Best all around first aid kit

Default Best all around first aid kit

Hello i am currently in Iraq as a contractor but have decide that while i am over here i might as well try to upgrade my arsenal for my outdoor life. I am looking for a better first aid kit. the one i have now is bulky and when it comes to long hunting, fishing or just camping trips it seems to be cumbersome. If any of you happen to have any good suggestions on what to get that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

i like to build mine from scratch instead of using a pre-made one.

an all-round med kit is good to have, you can move it from one pack to another, etc.

how long of a trip would it be for? day, week, etc. there are some things that don't have to be addressed medically on a day trip versus a week long outing.

if you are interested in doing it by pieces instead of a pre-packaged one, pm me and i'll break down a list for you.

i find the pre-packaged ones are too heavy and loaded with things you don't need. Adventure Medical makes a bunch of them in different sizes.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/

another company, plenty out there:
    http://www.wildernessmedical.com/

Default here's what I take

anti-diahrea meds (over the counter)
    anti-naseua (zofran if you can get it, it's prescription)
    tums for the tummy
    Ibuprofen
    Prescription pain meds if you have any leftovers
    a few band aids
    gauze pads
    neosporin
    athletic tape- duct tape or waterproof first aid tape
    mole skin
    lip balm

I think that's about it.
    Last edited by Snyd; 07-11-2011 at 07:19.

Custom kit all the way. Better to make your own. I would start with an Ammo pouch or the like, get the size you want then pack it full with all the neccesities.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    anti-diahrea meds (over the counter)
    anti-naseua (zofran if you can get it, it's prescription)
    tums for the tummy
    Ibuprofen
    a few band aids
    gauze pads
    neosporin
    athletic tape- duct tape or waterproof first aid tape
    mole skin
    lip balm

I think that's about it.
    Snyd, what about the benadryl anti-itch cream stuff? I had packed that along with most of the stuff you mentioned before my trip was postponed until next year. I have found that it help prevent over-itching/scratching of bug bites at times.

On a related thought, when roughly do the skeeters go away for the fall/winter up there?

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Snyd, what about the benadryl anti-itch cream stuff? I had packed that along with most of the stuff you mentioned before my trip was postponed until next year. I have found that it help prevent over-itching/scratching of bug bites at times.

On a related thought, when roughly do the skeeters go away for the fall/winter up there?
    I never have carried anything like that. Usually the bugs aren't that big of a deal to me. If they get thick (if it's warm) I usually have most my skin covered anyway. Plus, I really don't get itchy from bug bites.

But, I think Benadryl would be a good thing to take. I just don't think of it since I've never had any allergies or allergic reactions. But I do usually take some sudafed. Just forgot to put it on the list.

As far as bugs, it just depends on where you are. In the swamps or in the hills or mtns, and what the temps are doing. I don't think they go away in the lowlands until mid september if it gets nice and cool.

Default prescription drugs

Just a quick thought on this. With my job, I see a lot of people that fail random drug and alcohol tests. The first thing that happens when a guy comes back hot is check for current prescriptions. If you have a narcotic in your system and the prescription is out of date, you'll be fired.

Now if you broke your ankle, it probably isn't a big deal, but if we're talking about a sore back....

Now a friend of mine will go visit his doctor before a hunting trip and get a small prescription for the just in case. This would of course cover the above situation.

So if you are in a job that does drug and alcohol testing, keep this in mind.

Default kit contents

A few things that I carry that haven't been listed here...

4x4 gauze pads
    1-2 5x9 combi dressing (like a super gauze pad)
    a very good set of tweezers

Sometimes I carry a SAM splint, not on back pack hunts though.

A really good idea is to be creative enough to make first aid supplies from what you have available. For instance, you can use trekking poles and p-cord for a leg splint, you can use extra clothing for bandaging, etc.

This helps cut down on the weight a lot.

Don't forget any prescription meds that you need for things like blood pressure, bee stings, etc.

I never have carried anything like that. Usually the bugs aren't that big of a deal to me. If they get thick (if it's warm) I usually have most my skin covered anyway. Plus, I really don't get itchy from bug bites.

But, I think Benadryl would be a good thing to take. I just don't think of it since I've never had any allergies or allergic reactions. But I do usually take some sudafed. Just forgot to put it on the list.

As far as bugs, it just depends on where you are. In the swamps or in the hills or mtns, and what the temps are doing. I don't think they go away in the lowlands until mid september if it gets nice and cool.
    Thanks Snyd. I went backpacking in June in a wilderness area in Colorado I had been to many times with 5 other guys. I talked them into goingn up near treeline on the first day (about a seven mile out/3,800ft up climb) because of how beautiful the lakes up there, where I had camped before were. In short, I became unpopular for a night when the whole place was abnormally (for June) covered in snow. We were all too exhausted to go back down the two miles to the nearest other place to camp. So we put up our tents on some rocky terrain where there was little snow.

I was the only one who was able to sleep well that night because I downed two benedryl and about five swigs of Scotch. I didn't wake up for about six hours--didn't even feel the rocks poking into me. Everyone else tossed and turned all night. If mixing booze and cold medicine was wrong, I didn't wanna be right. The next day, we went down to a less snowy area.

I sometimes try to take the nasal spray decongestant if I'm concerned about a cold because Sudafed (or any psuedo-ephedrine) does weird things to my heart rythms for some reason, especially if I'm engaging in serious physical exertion.

Default I got a kit from artic fire and safty in fbks..

its in a little blk bag.. spendy but... THE WHOLE kit was put togehter from a team of rescue folks/k9/ medics unit etc here in fbks ALASKA... they went to town on it..... and came up with what the people could have used over the years FROM there rescues ....I NOW never go any where without it....i own 2 of them, and used one for some bad burns on a fishing trip.. good insurance.
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default first aid kit

Thanks guys for all of your help, it definetly looks like going custom is the way to go. in the prevous hunting trips all we had were just bandaids and maybee some asprin. which sometimes was just not enough. well once agian thanks, the prescription stuff i can try and pick up when i come back from iraq in dubia, you can get anything you want there.

Watch this series of vids and make your own mate...

Either a level 1 for short trips or a level 2 for larger groups or extended stays. I found this series VERY informative and discovered that none of the factory made kits are much chop if you injury yourself seriously.

"Level 1" First Aid Kit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dboV...e=channel_page

-------------------------

Pt 1: "Level 2" First Aid Kit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACerb...72485&index=29

Pt 2: "Level 2" First Aid Kit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Cu3...72485&index=28

Pt 3: "Level 2" First Aid Kit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-f7P...72485&index=27

Pt 4: "Level 2" First Aid Kit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-3L_...72485&index=26

Pt 5: "Level 2" First Aid Kit