Thread: raised bed gardens or square foot gardens

Default raised bed gardens or square foot gardens

i looking at this book called raised bed gardens and another one is called square foot gardening ..

do think that alaska would do good on a small raised bed typle of home garden for personal use..

the sized is was looking at was 4.ft wide -x-18.ft long-x-24.inchs tall.

Default Raised bed gardens do great in Alaska

I use a bed made of 2X12' and its great. There easy to keep clean and you can bunch your plant a lot better. You really do not need to be 2 ft high. The nice thing is they are easy to cover in the spring to start your plants a little earlier.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Thumbs up raised beds

raised beds are great, i build mine using 2x12 x16 feet, 4 feet high makes it easier to work them, plus with the deep beds you can grow things like asparagus plus you can make them into hot beds in the spring, get yourself a jump on the growing season, get you some of those tomatoes from russia and you can plant earlier because they can take colder weather than most, plus they are good to eat
    raised beds 8x16 feet you can grow a lot of good stuff

Do you guys use treated lumber for your raised beds? I've heard that treated lumber shouldn't be used because of the chemicals in it, but I'd rather not have to rebuild my beds every couple of years if I use regular lumber, either.

there is a company called natural yards ..there website is www.naturalyards.com

they make custom sized beds i was looking at the tall bed for easy to work on and some of the vegs that i want to grow it would be better for there root system ..

Default treated lumber

never use treated lumber to build raised beds, to many chemicals in the wood, leaches out into the soil

Quote Originally Posted by Corn View Post
    Do you guys use treated lumber for your raised beds? I've heard that treated lumber shouldn't be used because of the chemicals in it, but I'd rather not have to rebuild my beds every couple of years if I use regular lumber, either.

A cousin of mine in E. CO. builds his raised beds out of old rusted out stock tanks. He really likes it because he doesn't have to bend over due to his bad back. Of course he has the advantage of having an old stock yard in the sand hills to use the well composted manure and sand as soil to fill the tanks. My Dad and I thought about using old freezers to do the same thing.
    Justin

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default treated lumber

I'm no expert, so take this for what it is worth. I did a little research online and there were some sites that stated the plants don't absorb the chemicals. I'm pretty sure arsenic is the big concern.

That said, I'm buying a house that has low grow boxes made of birch trees. I think they're cool and I'm willing to do the work to replace them each time they rot out.

Default Raised Beds

Although it is definitely more expensive, i'd advise you to try using Cedar. Last forever and isnt chemically treated. (that i know of)
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Default Here's what I did

I did a lot of reading and thinking about how I wanted my garden a few years ago. I decided that I didn't want to bend too much so I planned on the tallest beds being about 3' tall and the shortest ones being about 18" tall. I can stand to weed and fuss with the tall ones and sit on a stool for the short ones. It turned out well that I designed it that way since I ended up with some medical issues and bending is uncomfortable.

To construct them, I decided that I wanted concrete blocks for the walls, but that even buying seconds was out of my budget. So I used metal roofing. Scrounged it from the dump or bought seconds at the lumber yard. It worked great. I made a metal roofing box the size that I wanted. Screwed it together with roofing screws. Supported the sides with T-stakes. Laid landscape fabric in the bottom to hinder weeds and tree roots. I laid wire mesh in the bottom of one bed to hinder the voles. Put a little gravel in the bottom, then the dirt.

Yes...it was a lot of dirt and a lot of work to get that dirt into the beds. But I really, really enjoy my garden! I have been really happy with the crops I have gotten and it is a joy to hang out in after work.

We are going to move, and I am going to play with the same method again on the next garden.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default more pictures

here's some more pics from this season.
    Attached Images Attached Images

they are looking good there bud ..

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    raised beds are great, i build mine using 2x12 x16 feet, 4 feet high makes it easier to work them, plus with the deep beds you can grow things like asparagus plus you can make them into hot beds in the spring, get yourself a jump on the growing season, get you some of those tomatoes from russia and you can plant earlier because they can take colder weather than most, plus they are good to eat
    raised beds 8x16 feet you can grow a lot of good stuff
    Do you have a name for these Russian tomatos? They sound like something I'd like to try..

If I was going to set up a garden all over again,Id make just ONE bed,like 50-75 feet long,or 2 ,half the length each,the width 4 feet max overall.And perhaps 16-20 inches high.
    That way I could easily weed from either side and never worry about compaction or stepping on things,dragging hoses over stuff,overwatering things with different needs.

As far as the toms go:early tanana,Polar beauty,and Siberian (might be another word attached).

Have you heard of anyone doing cold frames up there? I have been thinking of trying it with the heat tape underneath.