Thread: .243 Winchester

Default .243 Winchester

Now here is a good cartridge, used a 243 win for years, mostly for caribou and seal hunting. Prefer the 100 gr bullets for the hooved animals and the 80s for seal. My son has a Remington Model Seven Stainless, sure is a nice compact rifle and light on the shoulder when out hiking or snowmachining. I sure got lucky this past week and found a NIB Winchester Mdl 70 Classic Stainless in the same caliber, this will be my snowmachine rifle this winter. Anyone else use a 243 for winter hunting, what do you think of the round? Thanks

I have a 24 inch 243 barrel on my stainless T/C Encore and like it. Being a lefty it works out well for me. The gun is light and easy to transport on my snowmobile. I think you will like yours.

Smile I want one...

I want a .243 Win. in the Rem. Mod. 7. A friend of mine had his kids use a .243 on caribou, moose, sheep, goat and black bear. A good bullet through the lungs did the job. I will tell the wife it is for the Grandkids.

My son's Mdl 7 has a 20" barrel, will probably have it rebarreled to a good quality 22" barrel, maybe even have it restocked too. He has really enjoyed his rifle. Kinda getting harder for me to borrow it from him these days though. First time I borrowed it from him, he said "Dad every time you buy me a rifle, you borrow it from me". Guess it was time for me to buy my own 243. This Winchester 70 has a 22" barrel. Should do fine out here in the bush. Heard that Federal Premium makes 100gr Nosler Partitions. Haven't used Federals before, store here usually stocks up on Remington PSPs and Corelokts. When my son sees the new rifle I am sure he will ask to borrow it from me.

I used an ADL rem 700 to make a living with for years...maby 6 or 7.
    100 gr. rem coreloks were spot on and very destructive on target

Lost it in the river, and now Im with an M-39 Mosin, for all the same reasons of accuracy and terminal performance......and it only beats the .243w in ammo prices ,62$ for 800 Czeck LPS rds -V- 35$ for 20 .243w.........
    but I sure wouldnt turn down any .243w.....its that good.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Nuk: I have used a BLR in 243, off and on since the early 80s for whitetails. Great little gun in a tree stand, short and you can twist around and shoot from positions that heavier recoil would add to the problem. Must have killed 40-50 deer with it. I used a 100 grain Interlock load (2900 fps) for years with the only complaint that I was not getting complete penetration sometimes. A good blood trail is important in some of the thick stuff we hunt in. I reluctantly tried the 85 grain Barnes TSX at 3200 FPS and so far the penetration problem has been solved. I have shot two deer with that load. The first a 190 pounder at 290 yards with a double lung shot (ribs on both sides) good exit wound. The second a 170 pounder at 150 yards, front shoulder out behind the other rib cage, good exit wound. I was really reluctant to go to a lighter bullet but so far I have not recovered a bullet and it is a more accurate load with a little better ballistics. It is a little finicky about distance off the lands though, so if you try it, use the Barnes recommendation.

I have played around with several different coyote guns over the years. My late 70's vintage Ruger 77 in the wonderful 243 chambering is my all time favorite. Mine needs to go back to Ruger for a new barrel again(third time). It looks pretty rough in general but its earned all those bumps and bruises.

For the most part most of my centerfire whitetails have been take up close with a 44 lever gun or out far with an old ultra light 77 in 270. The few that I have busted with the 243 couldn't have died any quicker regardless of what they were shot with.

I use 70 grain Hornady's for yotes and 100 grain Noslers for deer.

My dad has a .243 in Rem 7400, good and accurate rifle. I need to try it out again someday.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Received my new MRC 1999 barreled action today in caliber 243 win, has a 20" barrel with a recessed target crown. Later on this winter I will send it out and have a stock made for it, thinking about an MPI Mountain Rifle Style stock. Been wanting one of that style since I seen one on MPI's website. Guess this rifle will be another good seal and caribou hunting rifle for the family. This time around I will have the LOP at 13.5" rather than 13.75", my 3 daughters seem to fit the 13.5" much better.

I had never given the 243 much thought till I was looking for a rifle for my three daughters to use. Ran across a Rem Mountain rifle in 243 for the right price and picked it up. Came with a bunch of factory ammo some of which was the Federal 100gr Nosler Partitions. Sighted it in with that and got nice half inch groups at 100 yards and never looked back. So far my middle daughter has taken one cow moose and a small black bear with it. Both were shot just behind the right shoulder taking out the lungs on both and the heart as well on the blackie. I am very impressed with the accuracy and killing ability of this cartridge with the Partitions.

We have been able to shoot the 90gr Ballistic tips to the same point of impact as the 100gr Partitions which is kinda cool. My entire family has the same sight picture out of this rifle as well so we all take turns when at the range which kinda gets competitive with group size and bullseyes. Think I need to limit my middle daughters shooting or she will be out shooting me with it pretty soon!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Nukalpiaq,
    Funny you mention'd here and in other threads about a .243 "Family rifle" that many hunters use,in the family.....
    At one time, when the wife and I were on foot with three kids for a summer at camp, we went light, taking only a 12 gauge, a .22Lr and "The" 243w.

later, I bought them two boys and the wife their own, just so I could have mine to myself...but if something came along, real sudden like, they all grabbed "My" rifle.
    The oldest son and the wife still have and use theirs regular like, Ive moved on to an M-39, and am happy to say its just as accurate as the 700.

The price of .243 ammo is C R A Z Y !!!, 38$ for a box, "If" theres any in the store at all....at least with those , every round Does count.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Local store here also adjusts prices for ammo based on demand. 243 being popular, ammo price is getting higher too. Was looking at ammo yesterday and the best price I see are for 6.5x55 Swedish mauser ammo, $18.00/box. Might be time to pick up a 6.5x55.

broncoformudv, my youngest daughter is a pretty good shot too, plus she really enjoys the outdoors and is always enthuasistic about hunting. Second daughter shot her first caribou a few years back, my oldest daughter is taking her hunting development a lil slower she is starting out on smaller game first, ptarmigan with a 22. My son has been my sidekick on many a hunt ever since he was a lil guy. He seems to prefer his 243 over his other rifles, occassionally he will borrow his mother's 270 win. Second and youngest daughter can shoot their mother's 270 accurately too. Daughters were easy to teach and listened well when given instruction.