Thread: Remington 6mm

Default Remington 6mm

Just picked one up and was wondering what poeple thought of the round or any reloading success stories.

Mike

Super round. Though ballistically almost identical to the 243, I actually prefer the 6mm for reloading. The longer neck is just easier to work with, and it seems more responsive to load adjustment- all impressions, but formed over lots of years and quite a variety of rifles. If you can't find brass, a single pass of 7x57 through the sizing die solves the problem, though you should check neck wall thickness in your particular rifle. With 100 grain bullets it a tossup whether my favorite powder is 4350 or 4831.

Default Great rounds

I bought one about 40 yrs ago built on a pre-64 Mdl 70 action in a Herter's laminated stock. It was always a great shooter and very accurate although I haven't shot it in years. I picked up another at GNG at year or so ago again built on a pre-64 Mdl 70 action in laminated stock! I've got to get it out and shoot it - hopefully it will shoot as good as the first one.

It is a great cartridge- enjoy!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Went out and shot the gun today with the shells that came with the gun (winchester 100 gr. factory ammo). It did not shoot the best, around 3 inch groups at 100 yards. So I came home and ordered dies for the thing. Been looking around at different powers, as mentioned 4350 and 4831 seem to be the most popular. My question, is that IMR or Hodgon?

I have shot IMR 4350 for years in my 06's and 35 whelens, but have never tried Hodgon.

Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by C-185 View Post
    Went out and shot the gun today with the shells that came with the gun (winchester 100 gr. factory ammo). It did not shoot the best, around 3 inch groups at 100 yards. So I came home and ordered dies for the thing. Been looking around at different powers, as mentioned 4350 and 4831 seem to be the most popular. My question, is that IMR or Hodgon?

I have shot IMR 4350 for years in my 06's and 35 whelens, but have never tried Hodgon.

Thanks,
    Mike
    I typically load whichever is available. There seems to be about as much difference in various lots of the same brand as there are in these two different powders IME. In my present 6mm I load 87 grain bullets almost exclusively and 4350 seems best suited to this weight range (80-90 grains), but if you are going to 95-105 grain bullets you should also consider 4831 (IMR & H) as well as Reloader 19 & 22. I wish you the best as you start loading the 6mm. If you would like a couple of my choice loads send me a PM and I'll get back with you.

I'm loading the old version of H-4831 in all ours because I've got lots. A couple of experiments with the IMR version showed it shot just as well, but with about 2- 2.5 grains less powder for max. Same for 4350 in my experiments. Good shooters, but the IMR max appears to be a couple of grains less than the H. Not a big rip either way, because velocities are almost undistinguishable at max with either IMR or H.

I'm surprised that Winnie ammo only shot 3". I don't think I've every had any load, factory or handload, shoot so poorly in any rifle. Handloading or a switch in factory brands is definitely in order. You'll have lots of fun loading for it! I'm betting best accuracy comes in a couple of grains or so below max, but if you ever run across a 244 rifle with its slower twist, rev it up to max.

I have had good luck with the 6mm and IMR 4831 under a Hornady 100gr. BTSP Interlock lit by CCI primers. Works well and has accounted for deer and a black bear.