Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 6mm

Default Remington 6mm

Just picked one up and was wondering what people thought of the round. Looks to be a jazzed up 243. To good of a deal to pass up.

Mike

Default Good cartridge

I took my first 2 deer with the 6mm Rem and although it did a less than stellar job I was sucessful in harvesting a couple of bucks with it. The 6mm does have a slightly bigger case than the 243 and you can load it a little hotter but not enough to create any real gain, in my opinion of course. I believe that where both the 243 and 6mm shine is as a predator cartridge, being better at longer range than the assorted 22 cal varmint rounds. Have fun and may the wolves be quivering in their hides this winter.

I have owned a Remington 6mm mag and kicked myself in the ars for getting rid of it. It is a great predator cartridge and although a little light, it does do a good job on deer.

I have been drooling on a .243 wssm upper for my AR15 because it mimics the 6mm in a shorter package.

If you shoot deer, stay away from ballistic tip bullets in the 6mm mag.

Default 244

The original 6mm Remington was called the 244 Rem. it had a different twist and shot heavier bullets better than the 243 or 6mm does. The newer 6mm rifles have the same twist as the 243 and therefore shoot the same bullets just at slightly higher velocities than the 243 (within the same pressure specs).
    If in the future you decide that you want a larger caliber the action can be rebarrelled to any of the short action cartridges (260 Rem-358 Win) with a .478 bolt face, without bolt modification.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default I love the 6mm Remington

Quote Originally Posted by C-185 View Post
    Just picked one up and was wondering what people thought of the round. Looks to be a jazzed up 243. To good of a deal to pass up.

Mike
    Good purchase Mike. The .243 Win and the 6mm Remington are similar when you just consider exterior ballistics, but IMO the 6mm is a better cartridge design. I've used and have seen others use this class of cartridges a good bit for hunting deer; it can be used, but it is not at its best for animals that large. Where it does shine is in LR varminting/predator hunting. The 6mm is shoots "flatter" at longer range than the faster 22s and with its heavier bullets it lays closer in the wind and hits with more authority when it arrives.

The only real detriment to shooting the 6mm is that factory ammo is sparse. You will almost certainly have to reload for this new rifle. This should be no problem as my 6mm rifles have been very easy to develop accurate, high performance loads. I've not found a better powder for a 22 inch barrel than 4350 (H or IMR). In a longer 26 inch tube RL 22 will give an increase in velocity and is a good choice. I've used bullets from 55 to 105 grains and I have settled on 87 grains as the best compromise. I think you are going to be very satisfied with your new purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale White Cracker View Post
    Pretty easy for a 243Win to slap the 6mm Rem silly.
    Huh? Not sure what you mean by this.

I don't understand what you're saying either.

Your writing style is familiar. Have you been on here before under another name?

I can not wait until this weekend and shoot the gun. I plan on doing a little wolf calling.

In looking at the books, I don't see where a 243 tops the 6mm.

But I have been known to be wrong, once...

Thanks,

Mike

Yup. Same old writing style, even if the name has changed.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Quote Originally Posted by C-185 View Post

Mike
    I like it.

My father-in-law has been killing deer with a 6mm for over twenty years. Very accurate rifle, plenty for light skinned/medium sized game and smaller.

If memory serves, right the 6mm Remington is based on a necked down 257 Roberts and has more case capacity than the 243. Therefore, you have the potential for better ballistics over the 243. When remington renamed the 244 to 6mm, the case and bullet stayed the same, the only significant change was in the barrels. The 244 had a slower 12/1 twist rate that would not stabilize heavier bullets, the name change to 6mm brought in a 9/1 barrel which allows better stabilization of bullets over 90 grains. The 243 standard barrel twist is 10/1, so in addition to a larger case capacity the 6mm also has a faster twist which would potentially provide better heavy bullet stabilization.

That said, if you decide you don't like the performance of the 6mm, you also have th options of barrel swaps to 257 Roberts or the 7X57 Mauser the roberts is based on.
    Last edited by Ralph; 10-16-2009 at 07:50. Reason: spelling

The 6mm is ballistically superior to the .243 in every way.

If it weren't for another of the long list of marketing blunders by Remington when it was introduced the .243 would be languishing in obscurity where the 6mm now is.

you can keep you wink wink hint hint obtuseness...

It all comes down to case capacity as it always does in these arguements and the 6mm wins every time.

You wish to play games I have not the time nor the inclination to do so.

The 6mm being the larger case has greater potential.

Also current SAAMI pressure specs are 60K for the .243 and 65K for the 6mm Remington.

If you know about the 6mmAI then you know it knocks the socks off of any .243 you can dream up.

Have a nice day

You are a too funny individual...

What exactly have I said that you deem inaccurate????

Like I said I am not in this to play games.

You have fun going on with your self evaluated superiority and talking down to others it will serve you well in life.

you might try instead of being insulting to others trying to enlighten folks.

I have loaded for the 6mm for years and have VERY satisfactory results.

Good shooting to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale White Cracker View Post
    Surely someone as "experienced" as you,has jotted down a load and knows which rifle those notions were derived from?
    This guy joined yesterday, and already has 37 posts--about 35 of which are unnecessarily insulting or hostile.

I initially used this forum to find a good brown bear guide and I come here often because have gotten better and quicker answers to questions relating to gun, ammo, hunting, gear, etc.. than on forums with far more members

FWIW, one of the other reasons I like this forum is because you don't see much of this type of button-pushing angry defensive pointless drivel on here.

What is the reason for that, are these types of people eventually banned or do they normally just not come here?

I have made many of the same observations, both about the poster in question and this wonderful board, MH and I played along a little, but I saw no reason to continue because he was obviously looking for a behind the keyboard battle which I find laughable in it's absurdness.

BTW I got to shoot some of my CorBon 225 TTSX this past weekend out of the 340 and all I can say is WOW

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

Have you happened to chronograph this load in your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    This guy joined yesterday, and already has 37 posts--about 35 of which are unnecessarily insulting or hostile.

I initially used this forum to find a good brown bear guide and I come here often because have gotten better and quicker answers to questions relating to gun, ammo, hunting, gear, etc.. than on forums with far more members

FWIW, one of the other reasons I like this forum is because you don't see much of this type of button-pushing angry defensive pointless drivel on here.

What is the reason for that, are these types of people eventually banned or do they normally just not come here?

He's been on here many times before under about ninety-eleven different names. Always gets banned, put's on another super-hero cape and comes back. About like seeing graffiti on a train rolling by, here one moment gone the next. About as informed too, it appears. Just wait a few and he'll be searching for another email account so he can put on another super-hero cape and do it all again. See why the train comparison is so good?

Default Pale Cracker

theONE73/ MH,

I agree Pale Cracker has been trolling the forum all day. I've been mildly amused by his rants and insults. Kind of like listening to my kids.

I too joined this board due to the real wealth of knowledge the normal members provide. I normally do not frequent forums and such, just not my cup of tea. Largely to not knowing who I am talking to, I'm the "look you in your eye when I talk type". But, found the people on this sight to be more my liking.

Unfortunately there are the cowards out there like this troll. Maybe he'll move on in a few days.

Default Well said BrownBear

I like the graffiti on the train comparison. Very fitting, a blemish on an otherwise grand invention.

I was thinking more in lines with what I used to step on when gathering eggs in my grandfathers chicken coop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast