Thread: DC001 Report and a grenade

Default DC001 Report and a grenade

It should be interesting to read the responses to this.

First off, we just got from a 5 day caribou/bear trip up Resurrection Pass. We base camped out of Caribou Creek cabin for a few days, then spent three days hiking up toward Big Indian Creek over the Cannonball Creek drainage. No Bou, but some old signs high up on the ridges and upper ridges (2500-3500 ft.). We saw TONS of bear sign and stalked 3 bears with no joy. There are a bunch of berries in the high country still as well as blackies. The berries were thickest on the south and southeast slopes. The hike up from Caribou Creek cabin was AWEFUL and the hike down was much worse. If you plan to access the high country from here, you probably should plan to do it some place else.

Next, we found what we think is the priming mechanism for a grenade at about 3700 ft. It was on a ridge between Cannonball and Wolf creeks. It is quite old and with signs of decay. No markings. No crater or other ordinance either.

Any other intel on DC001?

Anybody ever hunt caribou with a grenade circa 1950?

Is it just the spoon and fuse assembly? Could be an old grenade simulator fuse. If it had any blue paint or coloring on it thats most likely what it was....
    PC gag in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Sportsman View Post
    Is it just the spoon and fuse assembly? Could be an old grenade simulator fuse. If it had any blue paint or coloring on it thats most likely what it was....

Do not take the word simulator as an item that is not dangerous. These items can be just as deadly as the real item they represent.

I would bet in that area as being a fuse for a smoke gernade from a training excerise. These even have the ability to seriously hurt someone.

Daved if you have pictures or coordinates please pm and I will get them to the the folks that matter. Even looking old and decayed these items can remain functional.

In my 20 years as a Bomb Tech I have recovered many of these items thru out Alaska and the Pacific theater, some being over 50 years old. Not all but alot were still capable of functioning as designed.

Also note the one word I hate to see spelled wrong is ORDNANCE not ordinance. One is political but both can spoil your day.