Thread: I Got $600 for some SHTF survival fishing gear.

Default I Got $600 for some SHTF survival fishing gear.

Now what should I buy? I left all my fishing gear in Virginia and I ain't going back to get it for a year or two. So in the meantime I need some fishing gear. Just not sure what to buy and how much of each.

So lets suppose you have $600 cash and also suppose this is the one and only chance you will ever have to buy anything so its gotta last and it has to be practical.

How many rods? How many reels? What lengths and what types? How much string? Etc etc?

Oh and where should I shop? I would like to avoid Sportman's Warehouse if possible.

Default fishing gear

Where do you live, and what do you want to fish for?
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

what is SHTF?

I would like to avoid Sportman's Warehouse if possible.

I like shopping over at Johns place, Mt. View Sports on old seward and 36ave. He's always had everything I've needed and I like his staff. Tell him how much you have to spend and he'll set you up.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default SHTF **** Hits The Fan........

......live out by Lake Louise, so I would be fishing the Tazlina, Copper, Gulkana for salmon and everything else.....and any lake I can find in between of which there are plenty......

I guess the lake fishing would be for burbot, grayling, trout? I don't know, I just got up here.

Will I be able to ice fish with my summer fishing gear? Or is that a whole 'nother set of equipment?

Default That's plenty of cash by me

I fish on a budget. I primarily fish flowing water for all species at their appropriate time. I spend a small amount of time on local lakes and surf fishing. I am by no means a veteran Alaska fisher but I have a blast and catch enough every year. I don't ice fish yet.

In my opinion 2-3 poles of the Ugly stick variety with 20-30$ reels and some spare spools of 6, 10, 15, and 40 line will be fine. I'll smite all haters who laugh but my new flyfishing setup cost a little over 100$ I got a fish within 30mins of my first time trying to cast a fly. From what I observe experience on the water trumps spendy gear nearly any day.

Get some breathable waders from Cabelas. Go entry level and take good care of them because they truly are not the best but do fine if not abused. Some kids scavenge their entire rigs and catch fish same as the rest of us. The less I spend on gear the more I can put in the tank wich equals more time on the water.

I'm sure I'm missing some things here but add a float tube or single cataraft and some terminal gear to be ready to get out there. Bottom line is it doesn't cost alot to have a great time fishing up here.

Default fishing gear

Are you looking for fly or spin fishing gear? The more info you can give, the better everyone on the forum will be able to help.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default Spin fishing gear.......

......preferably. Whatever catches the fish. Never have fly fished.