Thread: Stove Oil? Stupid Question...

Default Stove Oil? Stupid Question...

What exactly is stove oil? We're heading down to Beach River and it has a stove that burns stove oil. My dad said stove oil is just diesel fuel, is that correct? I can just roll into Chevron, get 5 gallons of diesel and throw it in the stove? If not, where do I get stove oil?

Tim

Stove oil is just good old Fuel Oil. It comes in #1 and #2 #2 is heavier and will provide more heat per gallon. #1 is thinning but wont get thick as easily in really cold weather. Same thing as heating oil. Diesel is close but not the same

One has fuel tax on it, the others don't. I know a couple of guys who have fuel oil pumped into the home tanks often and then pump it into there diesel pickups to save money. One of them has been doing it for about a decade in the same truck.
    Its the same stuff as far as being interchangeable.
    Tennessee

#1 Diesel and #1 stove oil are the same. The new Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel is different you can buy the #1 from fishers, service oil and gas, etc. the ULSD is what is sold at the road side pumps for the most part.

thread moving to General or Alaska Cabins and Remote Living in ...3......2.......1........

Otherwise Kgpcr is correct

Out in the bush it is Jet A and sold as #1 heating fuel.
    #1 does gel in the cold.
    No ULSD out here yet.
    #2 will work in the stove as long as it is not below 35f.

I'm not sure what kind of stove will be in that particular cabin but I would recommend that you take #1 stove oil/diesel to avoid sooting & stove performance problems. Most of the "pot burner" style oil stoves are designed to burn #1 and perform poorly with #2. Nothing is more aggravating than arriving to a rental cabin that someone has just dumped a bunch of #2 oil into the tank for a stove that is made to burn #1. Even if the stove can burn #2, it will certainly burn #1 and you can avoid sooting problems.

Default Pot type stoves should have #1

Several years ago there was a bunch of pot type stoves sold for the purpose of heating small cabins. They are still available and if you look at the directions they will call for stove oil - which is #1 diesel and in some cases in Alaska they sell jet A-50 for the same purpose. As previously noted, adding #2 diesel could result in a lot of problems.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Back in the day in the military we used yukon stoves in the smaller tents and pot belly stoves in the larger ones. The diesel (heating oil) did soot up the pipes badly. Periodically we would throw a .223 blank in the stove and it would blow out the stove pipe . When we actually cleaned them we would dismantle the sections after they cooled and clean them by scooping them through grainy crunchy snow....worked like a charm.
    PC gag in place.

Where can I get #1 at? Anywhere in Anchorage or Soldotna?

Tim

What's the difference between kerosene and fuel/stove oil? Is it the same?

Tim

Default Kerosene

Kerosene is a higher refined form of fuel and burns with less smoke and stink and does well at low temps. It's more expensive though and is available at Home Depot and Lowes in 5 gallon cans for use in salamander style heaters.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default beach river

If im not mistaken I think that cabin has a wood burning stove as well in it. I know when I stayed there we didnt use the oil stove because we had no oil for it.

I had the same question last year: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=39962

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Kerosene is a higher refined form of fuel and burns with less smoke and stink and does well at low temps. It's more expensive though and is available at Home Depot and Lowes in 5 gallon cans for use in salamander style heaters.
    The guys at Fred Meyer and Andy's Hardware insist that I can burn kerosene in an oil stove, which is probably what I'll do since that's all I can find. They said (like others have) that it burns hotter and faster and is more spendy. Hope that's right!!!

Tim

By the time I figured in buying a couple of cans and driving to the bulk place in south Anchorage I wound up using kerosine from AIH. Might check thier prices on the 5 gal can.

Default #1 Fuel in Anchorage

You can buy #1 fuel oil at Shore Side Petroleum on Lake Otis Parkway in Anchorage. We did that a couple years ago when we flew out to a FS cabin that had an oil stove. It worked very well. I am sure that any bulk fuel supplier in the Kenai/Soldotna area has it as well. Fuel oil heating is pretty common in AK.