Thread: RM435 Permit Allocation Fiasco Article

Default RM435 Permit Allocation Fiasco Article

For those who sat at a computer screen trying desperately to get a DM435 permit last week, you might be interested in reading the following article by Medred on the Alaska Dispatch website. It looks like it might go back to an in-person only deal after this year's computer crash and last year's midnight rush on permits online.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/featur...histling-dixie

Talked to a buddy who works at Raspberry and he said people were in line when he left work the night before...so if you have to do i tin person next year you better bring the sleeping bag and mountain house so you can get your registration permit

Sometimes the old days ways are best and its a way for the city dwellers to kind of get rural preference

Smile

so this seems to be a big deal, why dont they make it a draw for a late season if the first draw dosnt meet the quota. I know i was waiting online and wondering what was going on and if they didnt even offer the tag because the quota was already met.

Angry

Sinnot was involved. I was wondering just where the snafu was in the system. As with all systems, it is the people that devise the system, that always put a little bit of themselves into it. nuff said
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Sinnot was involved. I was wondering just where the snafu was in the system. As with all systems, it is the people that devise the system, that always put a little bit of themselves into it. nuff said
    With all due respect, that is ridiculous. Sinnot did not design the computer program that failed under the huge load, so the blame is not his. He is involved in trying to fix the problem, however, and for that I say good job. You may not like the guy's management decisions, but to pin this on him doesn't pass the straight face test.

Quote Originally Posted by doogiehauz View Post
    so this seems to be a big deal, why dont they make it a draw for a late season if the first draw dosnt meet the quota.
    The benefit of having a registration hunt is that it can be closed on very short notice once the harvest quota is reached. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any drawing hunts that are closed mid-season once a harvest limit is reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The benefit of having a registration hunt is that it can be closed on very short notice once the harvest quota is reached. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any drawing hunts that are closed mid-season once a harvest limit is reached.
    True, but we got to see just how good that theory worked with Chicken Ridge this year......ok bad example.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    With all due respect, that is ridiculous. Sinnot did not design the computer program that failed under the huge load, so the blame is not his. He is involved in trying to fix the problem, however, and for that I say good job. You may not like the guy's management decisions, but to pin this on him doesn't pass the straight face test.
    In reading the cited article and Sinnots personal comments, it is clear that he had the LEAD on the formulation of the hunt process' for both years cited. As such, he shoulders the failure of the system employed. I am not pinning this on him. It was his job, whether he volunteered for it or if it was assigned to him. Don't matter, it was botched.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default My Experience

Well, it didnít go down completely but it was rather frustrating. Just had to keep refreshing after getting server timeouts. One of the things that hindered it was the amount of pages you had to go through before you actually got a tag. It seemed like right when you thought you were done, the next page would ask you "Are you sure"? Then the next page would ask "Are you sure you know what a legal animal is"? (this is after you did a page checking off that you did understand). Then a page came up saying that you did not have a tag until you went to a different page to download it. I donít remember exactly but I would estimate I had to go to no less than 15 different pages to finally get to the end and print the permit. Combine this with an average of 3 to 5 server timeouts per page trying to load and it equaled 1 hour and 13 min until I was done.

I wonder how many permits actually did go out on line. From the looks of mine, it looks like I got number 2.