Thread: Caribou on Haul Rd before Atigun Pass?

Default Caribou on Haul Rd before Atigun Pass?

Has anyone seen any Caribou before Atigun Pass on the Haul? Just curious from Fairbanks how long does it take to get up to Atigun Pass from Fairbanks? I am going out this weekend after the Bou. Thanks for any information and good luck to everyone else on the same adventure as me.

Default Travel Time

From Fairbanks to the pass it's about eight hours give or take. I've seen caribou below the pass before, but to my knowledge, that herd has not come south through the pass yet. Check around the Finger Mtn area too. That's about five hours from Fairbanks. Good luck!

There were some caribou off the road a ways around Chandalar Shelf on October 5th... I heard about 50 or so, all very hard to get to on a high mountain of loose shale.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Cool Head North

Leaving Monday, I'll let you know sometime Tues. A.M.

I saw a lone, old monster bull caribou in unit 24 where I have never seen caribou before on my drive back Wednesday the 14th. Put a stalk on him for about 45 minutes, got to within 10 yards and he spooked. He stopped at 50 yards and I double lunged him. Great cape and rack, but he was badly injured and infected throughout most of his body. I don't think he would have survived much longer as his hip bones were visible from 50 yards away, and his backstraps were about an inch thick. By the looks of his rack and wounds, he was a scrapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I saw a lone, old monster bull caribou in unit 24 where I have never seen caribou before on my drive back Wednesday the 14th. Put a stalk on him for about 45 minutes, got to within 10 yards and he spooked. He stopped at 50 yards and I double lunged him. Great cape and rack, but he was badly injured and infected throughout most of his body. I don't think he would have survived much longer as his hip bones were visible from 50 yards away, and his backstraps were about an inch thick. By the looks of his rack and wounds, he was a scrapper.
    Jerod, you can't make a post like this without a pic.