Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 243 winchester

Default 243 winchester

I just bought my daughter a Remington 770c chambered for 243Win. just wondering what folks think of this round for blackies,bou,moose, and what ammo folks use.
    Paul

I bought my son a Rossi youth combo with the .243 bbl (and a 20 gauge bbl). It's an excellent cartridge, but I think you'll find most people will tell you it's too small for Moose, and probably AK-size blackies.

Many people have taken these animals with it, but shot placement is vital. I planned to let my son take the first shot on a Moose with his and I was going to back him up with my .300 Win Mag.

The two highest recommendations I got for bullets from the folks here for bigger game were 100 gr. Nosler Partitions and 100 Gr. Remington Core locks.

I'm planning to buy another .243 for myself when I get home for predators and blacktail deer. Best of luck!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

My daughter took a moose and a black bear with hers last year. Both of them were solid one shot kills through the lungs and or heart.

We used Federal premium cartridges loaded with 100gr Nosler Partitions, the black bear was a complete pass through from a little over 100 feet and the moose went in behind the left shoulder and found it just under the hide on the opposite side, shot was 225 yards. That is the only bullet we will be using in that rifle and caliber. At the range it shoots .5 inch groups all day with it as well which is a lot of fun.

Rifle is a Remington Model 700 mountain rifle, blued with wood stock and a Leupold 3x9.

The 243 wichester is going to be my winter predatory rifle top choice. Where I will be hunting this winter will be very windy, open, and will offer many chances at caribou also. This is a prime situation for the 243 and a heavier Full metal jacketed/non expanding bullet. I once had 223's (ruger and cz bolts). I feel that wind and light bullets would pose the risk of injuring a bou. But.....the 243 winchester is quite a step up. I'm checking out the browning micro x-bolt with it's 6lb. weight and it's 20 inch barrel. I also like the shorter length of pull because of all the winter gear I will be wearing. I do miss my 223's but I'm glad I traded them off because now I'm going to step up to a "dual purpose" cartridge better suited to the winter hunting conditions I will experience. Don't get me wrong......a 223 in a micro length CZ was one of the greatest rifles i've ever owned.....I just like the 243 a lil better now. One old hunter from Kobuk/Ambler area that I respect and know has shot many moose and bou with it.....and a grizz hear n there too. Although I would prob. never do the same......these 100+ grain premiums have done the job.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

heres one bear with a 243.....

and another.... with the same round...

using 90gn balistic tips

i also load them 100 gn partitions that given the right moose and me as back up i will allow them to shoot a moose. I would not hesitate to do so myself if thats what i had knowing how to dispatch them as i do...

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Depending on throat and mag length in that particular rifle, check out the Speer 105 grain flat based hot core. It's a surprisingly good performer for a cup-and-core bullet, retaining weight well even without a partition. In fact it's my choice over the partition for stretching the range of the 243 for deer. In my experience the .243 diameter partitions are a little too toughly constructed for reliable expansion on deer at 243 velocities much past 250 yards, while the Speer 105 gives reliable expansion and weight retention out there. I'm not inclined to stretch the range on any animals on your list with the exception of caribou, but the Speer would be my choice for that. The FB version is my pick because it minimizes intrusion of the bullet base into powder space.

Here's an insight for you: I had a Ruger #1 in 243 with the standard 26" barrel. It turned out to have a long throat, and I could seat that 105 waaaaay out with the base of the bullet at the base of the neck. The round looked pretty funny with the bullet seated so far out, but the increase in capacity for slow powders and long barrel did eye-opening things to the velocity. The loads chronoed over 150fps faster than the max you see in most manuals due to the combo. And with the bullet seated close to the rifling, there was a huge jump in accuracy.

I'd experiment with just how far out you can seat your bullets in that rifle, and if it's a significant jump over factory standard, experiment with the extra powder capacity and slow powders. I'm not about to post the loads I developed for mine, because they're way off the charts in loading manuals while producing safe pressures (and I'm a conservative, not one of those risky liberals). Another word of caution: If your rifle will take the over-length rounds, be sure to label all boxes with an alert to the overlength and which rifle they're intended for. You don't want those rounds to find their way into a rifle with a standard short throat.

I took my 10 year old son out moose hunting this year with his Remington .243. We were both lucky enough to be drawn for any bull tags in unit 20A. On the last evening of our hunt, we called in a 34 inch bull to within 40 yards of our stand. I was ready to back him up with my .300 win mag, figuring his .243 with 100 grain Federal Vital Shok ammo would not be enough gun to put a moose down quickly. I was wrong. My son shot the moose and the bullet went through both lungs. The moose turned, took a few wobbly steps (went about 25 to 30 feet) and died quickly without me having to take a follow up shot. This just reiterates to me the importance of shot placement.

My daughter has taken serveral black bear and a few caribou with her .243 and she loves it. She uses Fed Ultra shock in 95 grain bullets. She took this guy this year by putting two thru the lungs and one in the neck. I have always been back up for her with my .416 but have never had to pull the trigger to date...

Smile

Its a fine cartridge, but make sure you stick with the heaviest bullets like 100 grains everyone is recommending. One of my worst hunting experiences was because I used a .243 with 70 grain boat tails and I ended up chasing that sheep around the mountain because the bullet didnt do its job. You know, a .243 is a .308 case necked smaller and that is also a fine round which allows bigger bullets.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    My daughter has taken serveral black bear and a few caribou with her .243 and she loves it. She uses Fed Ultra shock in 95 grain bullets. She took this guy this year by putting two thru the lungs and one in the neck. I have always been back up for her with my .416 but have never had to pull the trigger to date...
    AHHH the ever elusive submarine bull! That is quite a trophy for anyone it must have been a proud day for pops! So did you have a come-along to get it back on dry land or did you butcher it where it fell?

Most sold hunting round on Wrangell

Default My kids use it

My son killed his 1st moose when he was 9. He's killed 2 moose and 2 caribou with it. Now my 10 year old daughter uses it. As long as your shot placement is good, there are no worries.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks to all, I'll be back up with 338 or brother with 7mm. Hopefully we can post some pics in the spring.
    Paul

run the 6mm 85 grain X bullet and your good to go

Exclamation I wouldnt

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    The 243 wichester is going to be my winter predatory rifle top choice. Where I will be hunting this winter will be very windy, open, and will offer many chances at caribou also. This is a prime situation for the 243 and a heavier Full metal jacketed/non expanding bullet. I once had 223's (ruger and cz bolts). I feel that wind and light bullets would pose the risk of injuring a bou. But.....the 243 winchester is quite a step up. I'm checking out the browning micro x-bolt with it's 6lb. weight and it's 20 inch barrel. I also like the shorter length of pull because of all the winter gear I will be wearing. I do miss my 223's but I'm glad I traded them off because now I'm going to step up to a "dual purpose" cartridge better suited to the winter hunting conditions I will experience. Don't get me wrong......a 223 in a micro length CZ was one of the greatest rifles i've ever owned.....I just like the 243 a lil better now. One old hunter from Kobuk/Ambler area that I respect and know has shot many moose and bou with it.....and a grizz hear n there too. Although I would prob. never do the same......these 100+ grain premiums have done the job.
    Hunt anything with a full metal jacket. Especially if you actually inted to kill and recover it. I just wanted to say that. There is no prime situation for ethical hunting with a full metal jacket. Except Taliban or Al Qaida. Just my strong opinion here.

Thumbs up 243

I used to have A 243 or two. I handloaded 105 grain speer round nose for them. They just about roll a deer if you get them inside 100 yards. Popped one in the neck at 250 with the same load out of an old winchester lever with an 18 or 20 inch bbl that was built in the sixties. And had an old simmons (I think) 4x widefield type scope. Ya know with the oval eyepiece. Only reason I stopped using them was when I started hunting in big bear country.

I used a .243w for years, with Rem 100 grn Coreloks in an ADL Rem700. absolutly accurate and reliable. All before it died......Lost it in the river.
    .243W with FMJ's are excellent Wolfing/Fur rounds. They are Lightly built animals anyway.
    .243w soft points devastate fur.

Since then I had a 98 Mauser, untill I was given a M-1917 that had been sporterized, and them, for the last 10 years a Sako M-39 Mosin Nagant. I only use Accurate ammo.

Milsurp Finn rifles Rock!!!.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

The .243 is a great kids gun. It would not be my first choice for Moose and Caribou. There are better rounds out there for that. Will a .243 kill moose and such. Without a doubt!! Just like a vice grips will loosen a 9/16 bold but i would rather use the proper wrench. Above all else shot placement is the key. I big hole lets the air out of a tire faster than a small hole.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    The .243 is a great kids gun.
    Well said. When I get around to having kids this will be the first "big game" rifle I buy for them. Plenty for 'bou and even due a moose in a pinch. Heck BIGAKSTUFF kills grizz and such with his. I prefer to chase grizz with a much bigger "man's" gun a .308 win.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    Hunt anything with a full metal jacket. Especially if you actually inted to kill and recover it. I just wanted to say that. There is no prime situation for ethical hunting with a full metal jacket. Except Taliban or Al Qaida. Just my strong opinion here.
    I figured it woud go unsaid but im talking about taking big game like the stated cariboo or deer and such. I know furbearers are a different situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast