Thread: Dumb question of the day

Default Dumb question of the day

OK, I've been wanting to ask....

Why is it a snowmobile in the rest of the country, but it's called a snow machine in Alaska?

There, I asked it....

Default Go out in the bush...

... and they are called sno-gos. A term left over from a long defunct brand.
    They're what anyone wants to call them. My old machine breaks down so much I usually just call it POC.

Red face Not so dumb...

I've always wondered that myself. Been up here and riding since 1968 and I call them snowmobiles, but am usually made fun of for it. (And for other reasons, too, I imagine.)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well for starts if you say snow machine in the lower 48, most will think you are MAKING the snow. they have always been snow machines up here... i would have to wager it is a bit of that language differences... north vs mid west vs south vs east coast type of deal...

though AK has become a larger melting pot... the older folks i would guess don't like others trying to change our speak, so to speak...

Snow Machine
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Call it a snowmachine if you want to sound bad, cool, hip, or just plain fit in etc. You can't pull wicked stunts on a snowmobile, though, you need a sled for that. Everyone up here knows what a snowmobile is.

Because Snowmachine sounds cooler than snowmobile

I have heard that they call them snowmo's in canada, or i have heard people in Colorado call it going 'bileing.

The story I was told seems to make sense but I don't know if it's true...

When the snowmobile was introduced to the Inupiat they had no word for 'mobile' but they had already invented a word for machine. The direct translation from Inupiat to English for snowmobile was snowmachine. This seemed to appeal to the general Alaskan sense of being unique and not giving a d a m n how they do things Outside, and quickly became the common moniker for said mode of transportation.

Well, if you put all the replies together it all makes sense!

Thanx, glad we could clear that up. I'll just say 'sled' so I can explain all my crazy stunts...

well in parts of montana they are called snowcats or in my area "sleds". Its kinda funny up here when you ask what kind of sled someone has and they tell you about one made of wood with plastic runners