Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best long range scope

Default What's the best long range scope

For a 300 win mag, shooting up to 900 or 1000 yards ?

Nightforce, they aren't cheap, but nothing quality is.

Nightforce are a great scope. Give Huskemaw a look also. They aren't cheap either but by all accounts they're incredibly effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    For a 300 win mag, shooting up to 900 or 1000 yards ?
    It's little like beauty, being in the eye of the beholder that is. This question has gone through a couple of threads before so a search on LR shooting might give some helpful info. There are some dedicated LR forums that might shed some interesting light on this as well.

I guess the question you need to answer is what type of shooting are you considering: BR competition, varminting, LR hunting, or informal target shooting? In competition you can cut your teeth on most any quality 10X scope. My first LR sight was a T10 Weaver and it performed better than I did. Only after getting used to the discipline of LR shooting did my shooting improve. It was no less than Colonel Cooper who said "The notion that technology can supplant incompetence is upon us in all sorts of endeavors, including that of shooting." I'm not suggesting you can't shoot, but that the weak link is rarely equipment. Certainly buy the best you can afford, but quality trigger time will improve your shooting more than the best scope.

IMO Nightforce (NF) is the pinnacle of LR optics. Some on this forum wil argue for the superiority of German optics or particular reticles available in this or that manufacturer, but when weight is not an issue (and it rarely is in a LR rifle) NF receives marks at the top in every category. You can buy different scopes but you'll not get a better sight for LR shooting.

A good friend just put a Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 Police Marksman on a new McMillan TAC 338 Lapua. It's quite a nice scope and a mid life crisis purchase of a rifle.

The question in general is very subjective. Although the scope I mentioned is very nice it's $3400.00 price tag is way above my pay grade.

You probably can't go wrong with any of the high end scopes. Opinions are subjective at that point and really just boil down to personal preference.

The best glass I have right now is a swarovski PH 6-24x50. The glass is much brighter than my night force 5.5-22X56. I have Zeiss/hensholdt 6-24x72 military scope on order. It will be interesting to see how it compares to my other scopes.

My advice would be to look at all the high end scopes side by side and buy the one which you personally like the best.

Here are our ratings. My good friend Zak Smith at www.demigodllc.com has a good exposition on Long range optics. His ratings are different.

1. Zeiss-Hensoldt. We have been lucky that they have choisen us to represent their line and bring their super glass here to Alaska.
    2. S&B, we sell them too
    3. Zeiss Diavari, adapted with target mods, tie with: US optics
    4. Nightforce, another line we stock
    5.Leupold

One of the best reccomendations for long range optics is who uses them: In this regard, the majority of serious marksmen worldwide favour the Zeiss/S&Bs/Leupolds.

But then again, look through them. We should have the Zeiss in shortly, keep an S&B around and usually Leupold and NF
    Ken
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ken-Wi...10532992360444
    Y'all can watch my antics on Wild West Alaska, Animal Planets new hit show.

Default Video

Here's a Night Force video; Long range shooting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4aqmbaGIo
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have the NXS 5.5-55x56 NP-R1 and I am very happy with it.

Default I agree check out the Huskmaw.

Check got one on the lr800 from gunwerks with that scope on it. I like the fact they will make different turrets for you. But, Nightforce ain't to shabby.

Where are the Huskemaws made
    Ken

Where are the Zeiss made Where is the S&B glass ground Just out of morbid curiosity, where is the NF glass ground

Aside from the fun sarcasim, these are serious questions. I assume Nikon is made in Japan, a lot of Burris are made in the Phillippines. If a scope is made elsewhere, are they substandard? From what I've been able to read about the Huskemaw's they are quality scopes. If anyone has a personal opinion derived from personal experience I would love to hear it. I have kicked around the idea of purchasing one and would like to hear any personal experience stories as to why or why not. Any professional opinions would be appreciated by myself and Captain T, I'm sure.

Default $1149

Quote Originally Posted by moses42ak View Post
    Where are the Zeiss made Where is the S&B glass ground Just out of morbid curiosity, where is the NF glass ground

Aside from the fun sarcasim, these are serious questions. I assume Nikon is made in Japan, a lot of Burris are made in the Phillippines. If a scope is made elsewhere, are they substandard? From what I've been able to read about the Huskemaw's they are quality scopes. If anyone has a personal opinion derived from personal experience I would love to hear it. I have kicked around the idea of purchasing one and would like to hear any personal experience stories as to why or why not. Any professional opinions would be appreciated by myself and Captain T, I'm sure.
    Thats the scope I was looking at also $1149, I was waiting to see if anyone brought it up. The guys at www.longrangehunting.com use the Huskemaw scopes. I would also like to hear from some one that uses one. good ? bad ?

Zeiss glass is ground and coated in Wetzlar, Germany. All the parts are made in Germany.

I have been to the Zeiss plant. It is a marvel. But we were only on the commercial side, the Hensoldts that we will be getting shortly are made in anothter area of the plant that was verboten due to proprietary military hush hush.

Conquests are assembled here.

S&Bs are completely made in Germany

Its my understanding is that all the QUALITY unground glass blanks in the world comes from Taiwan. Each company has its own spec on the glass.

If a scope is made elsewhere, are they substandard?
    It depends on the specs, but generally Third world optics are crap. The exception would be if the company contracting the scopes actually runs the plant, as opposed to just specking out and buying from Peoples Optics factory 12 in Zhangzhou
    Ken

I've heard that the vast majority of optics are ground overseas, mostly in the same plant but to a certain company's specs. I don't know how much truth there is in that but that's what I've heard. My understanding is that each company has their own specs and they all have their own coatings.

No mention of US Optics?
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale White Cracker View Post
    Captain,

Simply peruse Records and extrapolate in kind to your budget.

Obviously noone who's commented thus far,shoots anything other than their mouth(s).

Glass is a great place to get smoked.,
    Why all the hate little buddy? I happen to know a number of the guys here and we routinely shoot at long range. You may not last long around here if you make blanket statements insulting all members who contribute to a thread.

I noticed that that your account is new. Was your old handle "SDI"?

I have read over your posts. They all seem pretty negative. I smell a troll.

seant,

Feel free to expound upon your LR equipment. Spare no particulars and be sure to really let me have it.

I've read a couple of your Posts and you exemplify cluelessness.

Feel free to expound upon yours

I know what he has....

I've heard that the vast majority of optics are ground overseas, mostly in the same plant but to a certain company's specs. I
    You have heard wrong. Zeiss grinds their own as does Swarovski and S&B. I have watched the Zeiss glass being ground (very cool process)
    Ken

Default can i ask a question?

mr cracker can you tell me the most dangerous game you have ever hunted?

seant,

Feel free to expound upon your LR equipment. Spare no particulars and be sure to really let me have it.

I've read a couple of your Posts and you exemplify cluelessness.

I would cordially invite "pale white cracker" to come shoot with us at the Fort Greely KD range next summer. The ranges are 800, 900 & 1000 yards. I'll even bet him a dollar a point. If he beats me by 50 points, I'll pony up 50 dollars and expect likewise from him. Watch the board in Jan. for the schedule. Scoped rifles,slings, no bipods or other support, palma style shooting to NRA long range rules. There, a no BS "I'm just shooting my mouth off offer." See you at the range. Post your reply and let us know if you accept this honorable challenge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast