Thread: Alaska remote cabin stakers please shime in!

Default Alaska remote cabin stakers please shime in!

I'm in the market for up to 20 acres of remote land. I've been looking to purchase remote property since my arrival in 1999. I'm finally in a position to buy up some property. I really like the Talkeetna/Petersville area and flew over to inspect a piece of property that I had my eye on on Saturday, turned out to be mostly bald of trees, nice view though. The more I read about the Alaska DNR remote cabin staking program, the more I think I should apply. I sent off for more information via the net. If you have staked out property or even bought property from over the counter sales please chime in, I'd like an opportunity to pick your brain.

Thanks Billy

I have purchased land OTC and in the State lottery, it's a great program as long as you check it out first and understand what you could be getting in to. Sounds like you already have that mindset if you flew out to check. Also, DNR posted that they holding a open house to discuss cabin staking here in Kodiak. I think the "meeting" is on the 21st here.

The lottery (as the name denotes) is kind-of a crap shoot. I think the 2010 will be announced sometime in Febuary or March. I was lucky enough to get my name pulled last year but I know a lot of people that weren't. I've seen some over the counter sales on there that might have some possibilities for you.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/otc/subdiv_sc.cfm Look for Ninemile subdivision.

This might be what you already found.

You might wait for the auctions to come out. I saw some land that I wish I jumped on for the auction last year. I would have won too with the bid I wanted to submit. Wierd thing about the auctions though is sometimes they get bid really high and sometimes it is only $1000 above minimum bit.

They are always clearing more land for over-the-counter. I can't remember for sure but I think the over-the-counter is land that did not get sold (or the contract went into default) during the auction.

You can always call the DNR. They are happy to help people out with this. Everyone I talked to over there was helpful and friendly.
    That's what she said...

I own some land that I bought over the counter. Like a few have already mentioned, take a look at your land before you buy.

It takes a little while from start to finish but it's worth it. You can generally get a very good deal on some wilderness real estate.

PM me if you have any questions

Billy out of curiouisty, which area/lot werw you looking at? Trapper Creek... Ninemile? I was looking at these areas too and am planning a Trip up from South Carolina to take a look. Would love to hear details on what you saw when you flew over.
    Trevor

I have been in the Alaska remote property business for 39 years. The GOOD News is the property of your dreams does exists. The BAD News is other people have the same dream, which makes some dreams cost more than other dreams. More bad news is we are about to enter a period of super-hyper inflation, figure dreams will be going up in price. My advise is don't buy or stake "JUNK" land, Be clear about what you want, and be realistic about what others will pay for the same dream.

Post i did it ... pics of cabin on here somewhere...

chose wisely,check w/the state /blm on there "wildfire plan" in the aera u look at... aint much fun when u have a cabin and land ..a fire comes thur and they "protect the empty lot of blk spruse" rite next to u ..while u burn down..cause u ain't native.....oh yea thats after they use your place as a base/staging area...not to mention the d9 cat they run down "your" 5' wide 4 wheeler trail... ...good program even...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I'm still looking daily for remote property on several different sites, mainly Talkeetna, Petersville Rd and Trapper creek. Right now the DNR doesn't have much as far as land for sale in the areas I want, closest is 9 mile and another. I'm going to apply next year to be a staker, and hopefully they will open some nice areas. I'm 90% sure that I will either buy land OTC sale or stake it myself. A big plus I've seen w/ buying from the state is:

1. You chose the location 100%

2. The state will finance remote property sales, usually no one will.

3. I qualify for 25% discount of total sale price for being a veteran, up to 20 acres.

Flying over the areas w/ my friend's tail dragger is the defenitly the way to scout property, plus he just charges me the cost of fuel. $30.00-$40.00 round trip from Palmer to Talkeetna. Lets you see the easiest way in.

Our DNR subdivision (Trapper Creek Glen) is sold out but there are always people selling their lots - with or with out a cabin. They almost always price them too high, but if you have cash and some patients, you can score a good deal. The same is true for other lots out there.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like 9 mile is about all that is left out there for OTC sales, looks pretty boggy on the maps too.

Exclamation 2010 staking areas

The 2010 staking areas are out. Just a note though, if you don't plan to stake, don't apply for the lottery! It is extremely frustrating to people that want to stake that don't get picked but then a lot of the people that get picked, do not stake. It is a lot of work so don't apply if you don't want to put in the work.

The only one near the road system in White Mountain II.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/p...index.cfm#2010
    That's what she said...

More bad news is we are about to enter a period of super-hyper inflation, figure dreams will be going up in price.
    I'm curious what you mean by this? Are you referring to local macro-economic conditions, or national/international?
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    I'm curious what you mean by this? Are you referring to local macro-economic conditions, or national/international?
    I think he means that they are printing money faster than they can count it. One good thing about this economic/housing crisis is that building materials have gotten cheaper (or at least have stayed steady.) Of course I'm not sure that Alaska has seen any of that savings. Down in the lesser 48, building materials are pretty cheap right now though.
    That's what she said...

If that is what he means, then I have to disagree. The math is easy 100T in debt to be serviced, 1T in stimulus. If you want to see what chasing the tail looks like look at Japan for the last decade(s). No way are we going to see hyper-inflation. It doesn't work that way. When we print money we have to sell Treasuries. China says the world doesn't have the money to buy them (and thus back our debts) anymore, they are right. We can't just print money. That is called repudiating our debts. That would be the big screw you and would lead to global war etc... Until that Armageddon scenario, we don't print what cannot be backed by some lender. The world is in a deflationary debt collapse, nobody has the money to back our debt. So deflation is the thing and things are (as you say) getting cheaper. It's yard sale America out there and it's only going to get worse. But for the purposes of this thread, good solid land is the one thing that has inherent resilient value (unlike gold which many argue should be included, but all you have to do is look at 1980 to dispel that myth). In other words, good land is always a good buy if you can afford it and the relative price is right.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    ...In other words, good land is always a good buy if you can afford it and the relative price is right.
    Agreed! Everything will work out one way or another though...hopefully.
    That's what she said...