Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared of hunting ducks...

Default Scared of hunting ducks...

Well my dad was always to nervous to hunt ducks, he figured he would shoot the wrong one and the law would drive away in his truck with his shotgun in the back window. To be honest I have sort of adopted the same fear and just never gave it a chance. It seems like a lot of fun and something that my wife may well enjoy with me but I am at a total loss of where to begin. I figure there has to be some "must have" gear and that I would have to modify my Mossberg 500 to make it legal but the real fear comes to actually pulling the trigger on a duck, god forbid it is the lesser cackling green winged something or other...

Default Scared???

I can understand you fear of doing the wrong thing, but it is a lot more simpler than the regs make it seem. First off there is a ton of information on the internet on duck identification. I would start at ducks.org Second how do you tell the difference of a legal vs. non legal bull. You take the time and study the animal you are hunting. There is no difference in the case of hunting ducks. Also the only equipment one needs to hunt ducks is a plug in your shotgun allowing you to only hold three shells. That includes one in the chamber. Do not forget that you will need state and federal duck stamps and you can not have lead shot on you. It might seem a little intimadating but one thing at a time and it is not that bad. My suggestion to you is to hold off till next season as it is a little slow around anchorage now.

If you ever have any other questions let me know.

Default Baaaaahhhh

You are plenty smart enough to figure it all out. First off, read the regs, which I am guessing you've done twice. Second, buy the 2 tags, affix them to your hunting license, and sign them. Yep, not legal till signed.
    Then, make sure your old Mossyberg bird killer has a plug. Easy to do with a willow stick. And go buy some steel shot. #3 is a good place to start. Or #1, or #2, or #4. They all kill ducks just dandy. Don't worry too much about choke. Full will be really tight, but will be ok. Use what you have.
    Now, get on some old clothes, head toward water where the rules say shooting ducks is cool, and go have fun. Just remember, that water is darn cold, and your cough cough manhood won't like it if you have to swim. So take a little care and try to drop the birds in the shallows or on shore if you don't have other means to pick them up.
    And if you want to give Labman a yell he might just like spending time with somebody else in ANC as he is at UAA trying to get smarter than me.

Default Chokes!

Make sure the choke tube you are using is rated for steel shot. I shot a Mossberg 500 for many years and had the best shot patterns with Imp Cyl. As mentioned in another post Ducks.org is a great place to get good information. Good Luck

Default If you shoot with knowledge...

... you'll do just fine. However, if you have a question about the duck you shot, and post it on this forum, be ready for a few to chime in and second guess your shot.

My advice is shoot for the ones which are unmistakable, and if you end up with a mystery duck, just enjoy it quietly in a good duck soup.

just enjoy it quietly in a good duck soup.
    That would be the "modified SSS" (shoot,soup and shaddap)

Default Puddle Ducks

If you stick to puddle ducks (i.e., Hayflats since you're in Palmer) you are unlikely to shoot an illegal duck by accident. Alaska is not nearly as restrictive and confusing as duck hunting in the lower 48. You should still brush up on them. I shoot a mod chock and #2 drylock for pretty much everything these days - works for me.

Main things to stay out of trouble:
    License
    State Stamp (signed)
    Fed Stamp (signed)
    Plug in shotgun (3 shots max)
    Steel shot only (all shells in possession)
    Carry an accurate watch and know the shooting hours.
    Expect to chat with the Feds on opening day at the Hayflats.

The main thing that you should be scared of is getting hooked on it and ending up with a truck full of decoys, leaky waders, a muddy labrador and a $20/box steel shot habit

Jon,

I can't really add too much from what the other posters have said but just get out there and try it. It really is an enjoyable way to spend some time with your friends, wife...and particularly kids. For me it's a more "relaxed" hunt because I don't have to climb a mountain after a goat, sheep, or deer...I just have to brave some nasty seas occasionally to get over to the Stikine flats .

Best advice is to partner up with someone who knows a bit so your learning curve isn't quite so steep and you can get outfitted with the right gear for the area you hunt.

I can just imagine the cash register ringing from Sportsman's Warehouse after your first bird hits the water!

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post

Best advice is to partner up with someone who knows a bit so your learning curve isn't quite so steep and you can get outfitted with the right gear for the area you hunt.

Thats what I would suggest as well.

If you see a sort of large duck with a funny looking sloping bill and it flies really fast you can only shoot one of those a day. Everything else is just a duck in this area. If you travel to the Chain then you will have to be more selective about your spieces.

Now if you are wanting to go goose hunting then there might be an issue or two depending on what you see. However, in Upper Cook Inlet you won't run into the protected geese like out west or on the Chain. Or the new Dusky rules down in Cordova.

Don't shoot at any swan around here. They are not snow geese either.

Even though you can shoot meganzers/sawbills as part of your daily bag, I don't recommend it. However you will be helping out the fish population. Ethically you do have to eat the thing. I don't have the stomache for it.

Default Afraid of Addiction?

My suggestion to you is to hold off till next season as it is a little slow around anchorage now
    LMAO scared, yeah I would be scared of getting addicted to being cold wet and muddy and constantly needing a fresh fix of shotgun shells and heck if you go this year and just get your first taste you still have time spend a bunch of money on gear and good dog that would likely be ready to hunt by next season.

Default Merganser stew:

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post

Even though you can shoot meganzers/sawbills as part of your daily bag, I don't recommend it. However you will be helping out the fish population. Ethically you do have to eat the thing. I don't have the stomache for it.
    If you want to help out the smolt population and stay ethical, try this:
    Clean duck quickly and as you would any fowl.
    Remove breast meat from carcass, dice into chunks, and place in a large bowl in very cold brine solution. Soak 1 day in refrigerator.

Dump brine and soak in 25% cider vinegar/water solution for another day.

Dump solution and rinse meat. Coat in flour.

Take one package of bacon and cut into 1" lengths; take a small onion and dice it; get bacon frying to produce grease, then put in onions. Fry until onion is carmalized.

Place duck meat in with bacon and salt and pepper, and fry until seared on the outside. Dump off grease.

Place all of the fried items into a large pot and cover with water plus half again as much. Add 1 cup large diced potatoes, 1 cup finely diced carrots, 1/2 cup sliced celery and one can stewed tomatoes. Also add additional salt and pepper to taste (I add several chicken boullion cubes and a tbsn. of soy sauce at this point- but gauge saltiness first). Bring to boil and cook until vegetables are soft. If you want a thicker gravy add a flour/water mixture. Serve with biscuits.

It isn't bad... seriously. Especially if you are hungry.

How did I discover this recipe? Well, it's basically how I cook ducks anyway except for the double soaking and the vinegar. But when my soon shot his first duck at age 8 on the bank of the Nushagak, and it was a fish duck, I made him do what I have done with my other children: "If you kill it, you eat it." (my oldest son ate a gray jay this way also).

Bon apetite'

I would have to agree on the scared of addiction part as well. Don't pull the trigger on your first duck unless you are ok with buying a duck boat, buying and training a pup, and making large (tax deductible) donations at DU events in attempts to win free guns, etc. etc.

Alaska is pretty laid back for the beginning hunter in terms of knowing limits on specific ducks. You'll obviously want to learn to ID on the wing as fast as possible, but it's much more forgiving here than other areas.

If you have any questions or need help spending money at Sportsman's, shoot me a pm and I'll be glad to help!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Jon i went with Daniel_in AK this year, was my first water fowl hunt in since 92. and had a BLAST!!! (parden the pun) still can't hit squat... but that was part of the fun.. and Akriver rat is right..

BRRRR on the boys... the dog well he delivers to the other side of the puddle and goes for more swim time...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I wouldn't say it's toooo addicting. I went for the first time 2 years ago. Didn't take a shot and fell in love with it. Couldn't go last year due to a detour (deployment) to Iraq. Then this year rolled around and I bought new waders, new benelli shotgun, a bunch of decoys, a new dog, 4 new duck calls...etc. etc. This is the greatest thing ever. Now just need a boat and a 4-wheeler.

They end up on your walls as full body mounts, your house will have paintings and pictures of them, stickers of them on your truck, more DU events around here than you can shake a stick at or afford to go to, you will end up thinking that $24.99 a box for Blackcloud ain't too bad since it really does "drop ducks like rain", end up with bags of decoys and only carrying a dozen...don't forget the $100 Mojo decoy, you will think of those **** ducks constantly spending much time and money even in the "off season" training dogs and buying gear....there is never enough gear. You will carry a 70lb ruck full of stuff to end up with a pound of duck breast if you are lucky. They fly in your dreams, you see them everywhere you go. You may go crazy enough to get them tattooed on your body just so you can see a duck any time you want.......be scared be very scared there is something wrong with us duck hunters.

"You can lead a man to fridgid water but you can't make him put on his neoprenes and jump in. Only waterfowlers will do that. They gladly leave the comfort of thier homes in the predawn black to seek out the bleakest marshes and muck-riden fields where ducks and geese abound. And like sleet driven by a hard north wind, they are unstoppable. Not even the most dangerous commute will deter them.

Contrary to myth, however, waterfowlers are not super-humans who revel in any misery nature blows their way. Truth is, years of smelling swamp gas, wet dogs, and mildewed waders have addled their brains. Wind and cold and severe sleep deprivation have dulled their senses. Bobbing decoys and whistling wings-and no doubt the sound of their own duck calls-have left them spellbound. Never mind the cumulative effect of shooting case after case of 3.5 inch shells.

And yet the myth persists. Why? Because it sounds better then the truth." Bill Buckley, "Misery Loves Company"

PM me, let's go fold some ducks!!

I forgot to say ROLL TIDE ROLL!
    Last edited by ADUKHNT; 10-14-2009 at 22:45. Reason: Roll Tide!

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    PM me, let's go fold some ducks!!
    There's your "in" Jon!

Make it so...and a new junkie will be born.

ADUKHNT I love your post. Every word you say is true. The only problem I have is finding the right sticker/s to put on my truck. I'm also going to by three mojo's this weekend and am also thinking about buying a trailer to haul/store all of my stuff in. My truck is just getting to packed (old K5 Blazer). So I'll probably be getting a 5X10 enclosed trailer for my duck hunting gear. Man there is just no way to explain why I do this. I guess I'm just plane old crazy....

I wonder how many decoys I could fit in my 24ft enclosed trailer???????

Duck hunting doesn't get any easier than up here. I grew up on the Miss in Western WI. You could shoot 6 ducks but no more than - 4 mallards but only one hen, 2 wood duck, 3 bluebill, 1 canvasback (or none), 1 redhead, etc., etc. Also shot a little during the point system days, but that is just too crazy to even mention.
    Here it's pretty easy, if its a duck shoot it. If that duck is a canvasback make sure the next 6 or 9 are puddle ducks or other divers, depending on where you live. If your seaduck hunting it can get a little rough, just make sure you know what a Stellar Eider looks like come the end of November (at least in Kodiak). They are "endangered", but they don't know that and are everywhere. As are the emperor geese, but they are easy to tell (Don't shoot the big slow ducks).
    PS When I started I only shot teal and wood ducks flying. Everything else I waited for them to land in the decoys and I could positively ID them. Then I just jump shot them. Do that for a year or two and you will get good at IDing and calling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast