Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how shallow is shallow?

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default how shallow is shallow?

I mean, I just bought this skiff with a merc 100 jet outboard and the boat has a tunnel similar to wooldridge and Im shootin gravel out my jet stream in some spots on the river. Do I avoid doing that or is it normal to fly over these really shallow spots, it is unreal on the places I getting to fish! the boat handles just awesome, but eel grass is a major downer. Th pisser stream coming from the outboard is getting weaker, is it plugging from the shallow runs? if so where do i clean?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    I mean, I just bought this skiff with a merc 100 jet outboard and the boat has a tunnel similar to wooldridge and Im shootin gravel out my jet stream in some spots on the river. Do I avoid doing that or is it normal to fly over these really shallow spots, it is unreal on the places I getting to fish! the boat handles just awesome, but eel grass is a major downer. Th pisser stream coming from the outboard is getting weaker, is it plugging from the shallow runs? if so where do i clean?
    Glad you are enjoying the jetboat world! The eel grass and such will plug up a jet grate in no time thats for sure same as lilly pads at times. Sucking up the gravel on real shallow sections is normal but should be avoided when possible or you will prematurely wear down your impellor and sleeve. One technique is to cut the engine just prior to the shallow spots or cut back on the throttle and skip over them then gun it again.

As far as the pisser stream they can become clogged with silt and debris the best way to clean them out is to run a wire up them with the engine running, work it back and forth till you get a good stream once again. If this works you should see the silt or sand come out in the stream. If that fails to work you should pull your jet unit and check your water pump impeelor as they will wear down over time and stop pumping. Normally they dry rot and the rubber vanes will start to fall apart. Its a good idea to pull the jet unit and check the water pump every spring just to be sure anyways.

Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Glad you are enjoying the jetboat world! The eel grass and such will plug up a jet grate in no time thats for sure same as lilly pads at times. Sucking up the gravel on real shallow sections is normal but should be avoided when possible or you will prematurely wear down your impellor and sleeve. One technique is to cut the engine just prior to the shallow spots or cut back on the throttle and skip over them then gun it again.

As far as the pisser stream they can become clogged with silt and debris the best way to clean them out is to run a wire up them with the engine running, work it back and forth till you get a good stream once again. If this works you should see the silt or sand come out in the stream. If that fails to work you should pull your jet unit and check your water pump impeelor as they will wear down over time and stop pumping. Normally they dry rot and the rubber vanes will start to fall apart. Its a good idea to pull the jet unit and check the water pump every spring just to be sure anyways.

Good luck and have fun!
    Thanks, very good advise and cant wait to try and coast over the shallows, what I did to the pisser is used a garden hose and shot water back thru it (boat still in water) and started it to check it out, it pisses hard again. I'll be bringing a impeller back to anc for repair and buying another while this one is out. any suggestions on where to shop?
    www.kodiakcombos.com

pisser...take the 90 deg hose angle off the block thats where they allways get cloged and drill out the pee'er a little... (ps tell Amio C.....diver SHU says hi!)
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Try:
    A-1 Propeller & Impeller
    210 E Potter Dr
    Anchorage, AK 99518-1365
    (907) 344-7767
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Thanks, very good advise and cant wait to try and coast over the shallows,
    Be careful, that backing off the throttle can be a double edged sword. I did it one time in my gillnetter when I saw a small wave ripple over a sand bar. Backed off the throttle and the bow came down and wham I stuck it. Doing about 25 kts then 0. I was out in the bow and tried to hold on to the steering wheel and hand rail but both were ripped from my hands and I flew up and hit the bow rollers. That stopped me. Broke three ribs. Now If I know I am going to hit in a shallow spot,(if it is not a large dry bar) I punch it to stay on step and hopefully slide over into deeper water. I'd rather pay to get my impellor rebuilt than to go through broken ribs again.

Im shootin gravel out my jet stream in some spots on the river. Do I avoid doing that or is it normal to fly over these really shallow spots.
    If you ain't hitting bottom you ain't jet-boating. Unless you are getting stuck time and time again you are not running too shallow. Impeller damage is just the price you pay.

Even though it looks like you are shooting gravel out the jet-stream many times you are just blowing gravel off the bottom with the jet-stream rather than sucking it up through the impeller. With a tunnel hull you normally have to be dragging the boat on the bottom in order to be pumping gravel.

Default blast

I been going out everyday since I got the boat, I'm running out of excuses for going tho. Today was to fetch cottonwood for the smoker (got it plus this fish)

This is a limit of silvers in 7 casts, when the silvers are all spawned out I'll need to put a prop on and troll for winter kings.

The cavitation plate is 24 inches and the transom is 26 will this work? or do I need a jackplate?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Default Nope

You'll need to call me so I can add balast to the boat. Nice boat!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I doubt many rocks are actually being sucked through the impeller. You're probably just running in shallow enough water that the jet stream is kicking them up.

Default thanks for all the advise

I cut the throttle and figured I would come off plane before I hit the beach, I planed right up it! glad there where 3 of us to work it back off the gravel beach when it was time to leave.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Its good to hear and see you have her working right again and are getting out and about!

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    If you ain't hitting bottom you ain't jet-boating. Unless you are getting stuck time and time again you are not running too shallow. Impeller damage is just the price you pay.

Even though it looks like you are shooting gravel out the jet-stream many times you are just blowing gravel off the bottom with the jet-stream rather than sucking it up through the impeller. With a tunnel hull you normally have to be dragging the boat on the bottom in order to be pumping gravel.
    I agree! That's what running skinny is all about!

Maybe a word of caution on Mercs. The older ones were real bad about sucking up reed valves if you caught any air and over sped the engine. The new models, don't know.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Maybe a word of caution on Mercs. The older ones were real bad about sucking up reed valves if you caught any air and over sped the engine. The new models, don't know.

what happens when that happens? what is the repair time, I'm thinking take off the carbs and put a new reed in? or?
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post

Oops. Guess I should have payed attention to all the posts before responding. This is exactly what I was thinking.

what happens when that happens? what is the repair time, I'm thinking take off the carbs and put a new reed in? or?
    It causes damage in the cylinders. To anwser the rest of the questions, it would have to come from some other expert. I have done it a few times way back when I was younger and had "the black anchor." I remember it was an extensive repair.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    It causes damage in the cylinders. To anwser the rest of the questions, it would have to come from some other expert. I have done it a few times way back when I was younger and had "the black anchor." I remember it was an extensive repair.
    what are you running know? and I guess I should run it easy? sucking reeds is from over reving when it cavitates and then catches?
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Get a set of Boyseen Reeds if those merc ones are trouble. Better performance and no more reed problem. I suspect the merc ones are metal and the boyseen reeds aren't.

Never tried a pair but heard a lot of good thigns about them. Maybe $150 for a set.

An easy job for any jetboater (since we usually have to do remote repairs on our motors and are wrench turners).

Sobie2

Sounds like fun, should buy a jet foot for one of our boats.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

what are you running know? and I guess I should run it easy? sucking reeds is from over reving when it cavitates and then catches?
    I have a wooly 20' xtra Plus with an Evinrude 250, Jet

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast