Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anchor river getting killed

Default Anchor river getting killed

I am a local, and long time fisherman on the Anchor. I am fairly certain that there have been many years out of the last 30 that I have fished the river more than any other fisherman on the river... I have toned it down quite a bit in the last few years. As for Steelhead I can hardly bring myself to even fish them anymore. The sheer numbers of people is frightening. What is of concern is the lifecycle of the Steelhead, and the fact that they cycle back to the lower river, and get caught over and over again. Some of their mouths look like swiss cheese. When I first moved here the river was absolutely loaded with steelhead to the point we could harvest one a day. A Steelhead along with three Silvers and you had a grand slam. These days I refuse to be part of the problem, and fish Steelhead maybe once or twice. Silvers I keep a few, and the last two years, I have not kept a King at all out of the river... only in saltwater. What I see are many flyfisherman using light tippets that just about kill the steelhead by the time they get them to the bank, then take the 30 or 40 pictures, and release what may well be a dead fish. Even what look like good fisherman are heaving the steelhead up out of the water (with signs all over the bank clearly stating that this is illegal). The internal organs of a fish are not able to take your hand bearing their entire weight out of the water, and internal damage can result. Evolution certainly did not design a fish to support it's entire weight from a pivot under their belly out of water.
    As for the river. I drove down today, and never got my rod out.. I have not in the last three times driving down there. Every hole has 10 "fisherman" in it. Soon enough the Steelhead will be gone, and the pressure will get less I guess. Try another river maybe?... They've just about ruined the Kenai, go there.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    Try another river maybe?... They've just about ruined the Kenai, go there.
    Nice....Thanks
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Smile There's always the Kasilof!

Face it, all the rivers are going to get beat up. People are loving to fish, and there are more and more people fishing. That is kinda good, because it helps pay for habitat and the numbers help preserve the viability of our "sport". But it is bad if you hate crowds and want to to fish in peace like it used to be.

I feel as you do, but I am learning to roll with the punches because there are more and more darn people coming into this state to get a piece of the action and they wont go home! There is nowhere else to go unless you are rich, so you gotta get along with them or give up fishing. I say the former is better than the latter.

I do a lot of my fishing on hard water now. The warm weather boyz are watching their football heroes on the tube, which leaves me pretty much by myself in the great, white Alaska. Can't beat that.

dept f&g should have there people in the **** bushes with binos. heck, now that the kenai is pretty much done they should take protecting our resources much better especially Steelhead in the Anchor. I haven't fished it for steelhead yet. I should havebecause i grew up fishing steelhead in Oregon. I just haven't haven't been down there since i moved here in '04.

heck, when i lived in oregon during h.s. they had state troopers in the trees with binos nailing people who kept a snagged chinook and or who did things illegal. I wasn't one of them by the way.

If the state wants to pride itself on our God given fish resources then we need the right people in office handling the state budget and taking these issues VERY seriously. you darn rights it can make a guy downright angry if he's on the river first handedly witnessing such disgusting abuse. Even if we didn't hook the fish, those fish are still all our fish. We don't live here to watch others ruin it. Especially for our kids. If the state doesn't want to do nothing to put more law enforcement on our streams, then some day they won't have a job either. But then fish and game depts. never have enough manpower. they always get short changed while special interests that make no sense get more. The fish will be gone.

Don't be afraid to confront anglers that you see screwing off like some of them do. i heard the other day that someone had dropped a steelhead on the bank while taking a picture of it.

if i saw that, i would walk right over and somehow act like i was trying to help and once i had the fish in my hands i'll release it in the water.

tuff crap, i'll stand up to anybody i see abusing fish that way. Enough of this feminized way of living. take your rivers back and if you end up in a fight, so be it. call dept fish and game and tell t hem to get off there carcuses and watch this stream.

With commerical boats killing steelhead and the ignoramous's that severely harm the fish, we have to fight back. Nobody wants to end up in a fight and yes, there is a nice way to behave out there but to me sometimes there just is a breaking point when we see stuff like this. Those of us who care, are protecting an animal or fish when there is no one else that will. It's not radical, it's the right thing to do. I simply am not afraid to defend a fish when it's not even supposed to be out of the water in the first place. I don't have a problem with holding a steelhead with it's lower fins touching the waters surface for a 2 sec. pic. whatever...

i'm not espousing for us to be the river police. like i said, we can be nice and if someone smarts off then who knows they could be armed. I guess we all should arm ourselves because we never know what could happen. Just don't be afraid to educate and if they want to be rude, then that is there problem. i'm not encouraging others to make it your problem but then again sometimes i think it could be nessessary. We need to take back our rivers. No fear remember.

Default I tend to confront people that abuse the river

The proxy crowd all know my opinion about the abuse of that loophole(great idea, just gets totally abused).. during King season. It's hard to watch the same guys every year haul off 15 or so kings under the proxy loophole when the King escapement was so feeble. I had a hard time even catch and releasing kings this year for ecological reasons. Some changes need to be made with the Steelhead. They need a break on the years the river doesn't freeze till late. There are more people fishing Steelhead than Kings some weekends. Almost no one that lives here in Anchor point fishes Steelhead anymore, and living in Anchor point all Winter isn't as nice as they make it look in the brochure. The river is one reason many of us live here, and it is going really fast.

I look for all the in between the cracks fisheries. There are still places I can get away from the crowds. I just have a hard time watching the Anchor getting wasted.

The proxy crowd all know my opinion about the abuse of that loophole(great idea, just gets totally abused).. during King season. It's hard to watch the same guys every year haul off 15 or so kings under the proxy loophole when the King escapement was so feeble..
    Under the proxy system people are only allowed to fish 1 proxy a day, so the max they could leave the river with in one day is two kings, obviously if the limit is one per person. If a person is taking more than their fish and one proxy's limit they are breaking the law, turn them in!!! I agree, there is rampant abuse of the proxy system and it really needs to be addressed, but I don't think the BoF or F&G want to touch it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I am a local, and long time fisherman on the Anchor. I am fairly certain that there have been many years out of the last 30 that I have fished the river more than any other fisherman on the river... I have toned it down quite a bit in the last few years. As for Steelhead I can hardly bring myself to even fish them anymore. The sheer numbers of people is frightening. What is of concern is the lifecycle of the Steelhead, and the fact that they cycle back to the lower river, and get caught over and over again. Some of their mouths look like swiss cheese. When I first moved here the river was absolutely loaded with steelhead to the point we could harvest one a day. A Steelhead along with three Silvers and you had a grand slam. These days I refuse to be part of the problem, and fish Steelhead maybe once or twice. Silvers I keep a few, and the last two years, I have not kept a King at all out of the river... only in saltwater. What I see are many flyfisherman using light tippets that just about kill the steelhead by the time they get them to the bank, then take the 30 or 40 pictures, and release what may well be a dead fish. Even what look like good fisherman are heaving the steelhead up out of the water (with signs all over the bank clearly stating that this is illegal). The internal organs of a fish are not able to take your hand bearing their entire weight out of the water, and internal damage can result. Evolution certainly did not design a fish to support it's entire weight from a pivot under their belly out of water.
    As for the river. I drove down today, and never got my rod out.. I have not in the last three times driving down there. Every hole has 10 "fisherman" in it. Soon enough the Steelhead will be gone, and the pressure will get less I guess. Try another river maybe?... They've just about ruined the Kenai, go there.

kind of a blatant and strong first post...

kind of hard to take rant seriously when a person barges in of the street and starts barking. unless your an older member with a new name...

granted you may have some issues with the way things are, but we all deal with them daily... in all of our areas. personally i think that if it is against the law to keep a fish it should be against the law to fish for it to begin with..and that SPORT is by far the worst in Biased behavior and self rightious presumptive indignation against their fellow fisher persons.

any SPORT that leads to the virulent battles that catch and release SPORT fishing causes. should be fee'd and regulated to the extream...

and since it is SPORT, the best bet if you really care about the resource it to ... STOP and find another SPORT for your pass time.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I am not sure what else can be done to protect the Anchor River steelhead. There is a no retention of any steelhead year round, you cannot remove steelhead from the water, no bait is allowed after September 1, single hook only, it closes for the season on Jan 1 (but most years it freezes up before this date), it is closed above blackwater bend from Jan -July, and it does not open to fishing until the weekend only king dates in mid May.
    So, the big complaint that I am hearing is that the river is crowded right now. Well, I don't know what to say about that one. I too have fished the Anchor for over 30 years but to be honest I remember when it was more crowded than it is now for steelhead but that was back when you could fish it in the spring during break up and actually harvest the fish that you caught. Now folks are catching the steelhead in the fall when they are not weakened from spawning or after they have burned most of there energy surviving the long winter under the ice. Seems to me that the regulations are doing a pretty good job protecting the steelhead population.
    If there was one complaint that I would have it would not be the crowds but rather the fact that the Anchor opens a weekend earlier now for kings and bait is allowed at that time. Lots and lots of steelhead are caught during this opening weekend with bait which is a bad deal in my opinion. But the kings are the targeted species.
    Anyway, I think that we all would like to go back to the good ole days of way back when but it just ain't gonna happen so we have to deal with it the best that we can. I am off to fish for steelhead on the ... Can't tell you that one.
    Last edited by iceblue; 10-14-2009 at 08:06. Reason: removed word

Default Another option...

would be to not draw attention to your overcrowded river by advertising it on an internet bulletin board

I am not positive that is true. I think a proxy fisherman can leave the river with his kings, and return and fish another proxy.. it just cannot be done at the same time. But even if a guy is allowed to take two kings a day off a small river like the Anchor it has a big impact. Five years ago when the local fish and game gal(Nicky) suggested we change the bag limit here the river could actually handle it. Why she wanted the bag limit up to 5 I have no idea... but here we are. This year, the river could tolerate no bag limit, and it finally got closed, which I think was a great idea. My point was these proxy guys return and return and take their 10-15 kings... on years like this and last that simply cannot stand that kind of pressure. And now that the river is a 5 fish limit again, a crowd that never used to mess with it, now fishes here. So the impact of changing the limit from 2 to 5 in effect added like three times the pressure, and kings being taken.. bad move.
    As to fish and game and regs.. a friend and I watched a guy set up camp below the grass hole and started taking 5-10 silvers a day.. a line em through the mouth in shallow water fly fisherman.. "seems to only be able to catch fish in shallow fast moving water." He was canning and smoking them and selling them we later found out. So we told enforcement exactly what time to come down(3 hours into the flood), when he would have had an hour or so to snag fish.. and we said we would point him out and testify if needed(we were there early so we watched him take over his limit, and run them up to his camper). We also told them he had over his possesion limit in his vehicle. They never even bothered to come down. The guy did this all season. In that particular year it was not a problem ecologically because there were so many Silvers... but nothing was done in spite of many many calls. Frustrating ..

Check the regs, you can only fish one proxy a day, period, and it can be fished at the same time as your personal limit, so the most you can catch in one day is your limit plus one proxy limit, and they can be fished at the same time.
    If someome is catching more than that they are breaking the law.

I don't know where they would stand if more came to be honest. The reason I looked on the internet at all was a guy told me he saw a couple blogs on the internet bragging about the Anchor.. so I wanted to make sure people knew it was overcrowded. And without new regs, it is toast an anyway.

I know how you feel! I own one of those cabins by the Dudas Hole. I have not even fished the Anchor for steelhead this year because of the crowds. It makes me sick to see what has happened here in the 32 years I have been fishing there. I counted 58 cars two weeks ago between the bridge parking and steelhead parking.

PM me with your name and email address. I have a group of guys who are going to be working on submitting a number of proposals to the BOF in late 2010.

I read the reg that said you are only allowed twice the daily bag limit. I wonder if that is a new reg.. I will look into it, just cause I want to know. I do know you used to be able to fish a proxy.. deliver the fish to the guy you are fishing for, and then return and fish another proxy... and I even had that confirmed standing with the guy who had just done it in front of a state trooper. The state is addressing some of the proxy problems, and maybe that 2 fish bag limit is their answer..

Default anchor river proposals...

get what you want written up and bring it to the AC meeting next month.
    we meet at the NERRS building on kachemak drive, across from smoky bay air.
    i am sure a well written proposal would get some support.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I know the proxy fishing regs have been that way for at least the past 8 years or so, that is when I learned about the system as some people were fishing multiple proxies per day and I researched it and got it confirmed by Parks.
    To my knowledge you could never legally fish more than one Proxy per day, I am sure someone with some authority will respond if I am incorrect on this issue.

Ok, will do... Nicky's new regs need to be changed back, and the Steelhead need to be protected in the lower river from October 1 till freeze up.. they are just getting caught too many times.. they just sit there and take it.. the ones up river seem to move around a little more.

Over the past several years, I have noticed a significant increase in guides on the anchor. maybe that is something that needs to be looked at. I am not saying all guides are bad, but I have seen several that will park in a large hole (occupied or not) and set up there clients and fish the water the whole day.

make it like the north umqua... fly fishing only, no extra weight, no weighted flies... make the fish move for the fly.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast