Thread: Kenai Black Bears

Default Kenai Black Bears

How late is too late to find a black bear in the Kenai Mtns?

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    How late is too late to find a black bear in the Kenai Mtns?
    Its never too late.

Smile

Well, I went out looking last weekend and didnt see any but it was really rainy and windy. But there was no snow all the way to the tops of the peaks. I think its good hunting until the snow covers the berries. Right now should be especially good as the bears feed like hell right before going to sleep.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Just got back from 4 days goat hunting for a buddy's 20 Mile River Tag. In four days we didn't see a single bear. Went to the same area last weekend scouting and saw three bears in one day. There was still a few berries out but not much.

Smile who knows...

Usually the black bears head to the den shortly after the snow hits the mountains. So mid October is usually a good rule of thumb. But, they can show up any month of the year if the weather warms up and it rains. Last week a friend of mine did a solo hunt in the Cooper Landing mountains. He covered some ground and could not find a bear, he is a good hunter. When he was driving home from the hunt he hit one with his truck and finished it off with his S&W .500. Cracked me up. He is the only guy I know that has killed black bears with a truck and a S&W .500 revolver, a 38 Spl. revolver, a rifle, a bow, and a spear. He is just an all around bear hunter by golly!

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Across the Bay

In K-Bay, Bears tend to den up around November. It isn't written in stone b/c if we get a warm spout like we have now. They might not go until later. So usually it is from last week of october to the last week of november. I shot my 6'1 2 years ago in mid november and i got another the year before that that was 5'8"-10" ish at the end of October 3 years ago. But if you need anymore info hit me back.

Rob

A buddy saw one on the Kenai Pen last Sunday.

Brett

Just got back from hunting DC001 out of resurrection pass. We saw 3 bears in as many days scarfing up berries at the 2000-3500 ft level. There is no snow in the mountains to speak of. We hiked up and down thousands of feet to put the stalk on them, but they busted us and took off. From what we saw, there are blackies up high eating TONS of berries. Good luck