Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose in our garden-Help!!

Default Moose in our garden-Help!!

How in the world do you keep moose out of the garden short of building a 7 foot chain link fence around it? We framed in a 7 foot fence that we put deer netting up...they busted right through, no problem. Any suggestions? Thanks-Pati

Electric fence works well for my neighbor. One touch and they leave it alone.

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by Pati View Post
    How in the world do you keep moose out of the garden short of building a 7 foot chain link fence around it? We framed in a 7 foot fence that we put deer netting up...they busted right through, no problem. Any suggestions? Thanks-Pati

They don't like electricity/electric fences, OR you might just get yourself a harvest tag.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I think it was Grandma on here that sugested using Iris Spring soap hanging off the coners of your garden. There's apost about this back in the archives.

I had to put up a fence a few years back as I could not take it anymore. I went with 8 ft high. At first it kind of looked like a prison but it gives beans and peas a nice place to climb. Not one moose problem again in the veg garden.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    Electric fence works well for my neighbor. One touch and they leave it alone.
    well that depends...

our horse fences were all 4 strand hot wire and they used to walk/run/bolt through it. and it only take once to learn that once they break it, thats all she wrote.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    I think it was Grandma on here that sugested using Iris Spring soap hanging off the coners of your garden. There's apost about this back in the archives.
    Nope it wasn't me who suggested the Irish Spring soap...but if it does work and you want to give me the credit...well then, that is OK with me

Grandma Lori

If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default Soap does NOT work.

Irish Spring soap does NOT work. I hung a few bars in the garden after reading about it on this forum earlier this spring. The moose have eaten the pea vines where the bars of soap were only inches from thier nose, didn't bother them in the least bit.
    Also, CD's hung to blow in the wind DO NOT work to deter the moose either. We tried that too!
    In fact, the moose willl even stand thier ground against the dog or us to continue eating. They become rather pissy when we attempt to move them along...
    BK

You might try getting something like coyote scent or bear oil and smearing it around, or pouring around your perimeter.

Back when I was a young feller growing up on a midwest fruit farm, one of my jobs each spring was to fill small bags with blood meal and hang them in the young fruit trees to keep the deer away. Worked great for deer, not sure if it would work for moose or not. Only problem is that dogs like to eat blood meal....

I've also seen wolf urine in bottles for this purpose.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Irish Spring soap does NOT work. I hung a few bars in the garden after reading about it on this forum earlier this spring. The moose have eaten the pea vines where the bars of soap were only inches from thier nose, didn't bother them in the least bit.
    Also, CD's hung to blow in the wind DO NOT work to deter the moose either. We tried that too!
    In fact, the moose willl even stand thier ground against the dog or us to continue eating. They become rather pissy when we attempt to move them along...
    BK
    sounds like urban moose used to the daily activity...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well I dug this thread out of the depths.
    I have a small pond with fountain right of front of my house in a little flower garden--I put it in last year. Last year the moose kept tipping the fountain letting all the water blow out. Of course they got their share of shrubs and flowers too.

Can't remember if I saw it on here or somewhere else, but I hung 4 old CD's this year (2 weeks ago) and they have not yet entered the garden/messed with the fountain. I drilled hole near edge and hung with old fishing line. Put two in trees and other two are hanging from a pole right over the pond. They basically would have to hit the 2 CD's hanging over the pond to get to the fountain. My place is far enough off the road that the CD's don't really look all the bad. Hopefully this lasts all summer--time will tell. Although the wife is talking about getting a little disco ball thingy that should do the same thing and look even better.

Thanks derbyI put a small pond withfountain and just a fountain by its self mama and her 2 calf’s knock over the fountain and broke it and thewife said the calf’s tried to get in the pond
    Note to self-hang up oldCDs

Quote Originally Posted by jbswasilla View Post
    Thanks derbyI put a small pond withfountain and just a fountain by its self mama and her 2 calf’s knock over the fountain and broke it and thewife said the calf’s tried to get in the pond
    Note to self-hang up oldCDs
    Your story sound so familiar ....lol

We planted some marigold flowers around our plants and so far it has kept the moose out. They look nice, but actually stink. Also, I had a lady tell me they put up orange plastic construction fencing around her apple trees and that seemed to work.

The short story is that a fence is required. Perhaps 7' would be tall enough, but I've always been told 8'. If your fence is short consider putting flagging at the top.

The cheapest fencing material I have used is 6-inch welded wire mesh for concrete reinforcement. It comes in 100' rolls, 8-foot tall, and I think it sells for about $2/linear foot, but call to check prices. I would suggest buying it from Anchorage Sand and Gravel. A nice thing about using this fence is that it doesn't require as much stretching or as many fence posts as other field fence. I have often just attached it to trees or surplus 1-inch drop pipe from old wells driven into the ground every 40 feet or so.

Fixed knot field fence is probably a little cheaper if you can find it. Maybe $1.30 per foot. It's lighter, but I think that you need to be a little more careful in installing it as it needs tension.

My experience with electric fence is that moose will go through it but not stick around. So, it works, but you will constantly be repairing it.

I have a 4' high fence & above it, at the 6' level, 1 run of barbed wire.
    Moose standing outside the garden fence , but in the potato patch

DSCF1447.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    I have a 4' high fence & above it, at the 6' level, 1 run of barbed wire.
    For what it's worth, the biologist I talked to at Fish and Game practically begged me to not use barbed wire. He said that bull moose tend to put their head through a barbed wire fence, and get their antlers stuck. Of course, your application is different, with a single strand at 7'feet, I was contemplating using 4 to 5 strands spaced 18-inches apart. I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with your application, but the ADF&G bio really didn't want me to install a traditional barbed wire fence.

Moose have a good memory so when I squirt water in their ears with the hose a few times they leave things alone! This only works with city moose!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Barbed wire just seems like it could cause major trouble if a moose got entangled.

Is it illegal to haze moose that are in your yard? If so, what is the line that you cannot cross? Can you legally use rubber bullets? No tazers, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast