Thread: 460 Rowland in a XD

Default 460 Rowland in a XD

Has anyone out there fired one? How do you like it? What are your opinions of the Cartridge? Why does the XD version not use a compensator? Does anyone know if you can modify an EAA Witness 45 to 460 Rowland? The reason I ask is because it sounds like an interesting, less bulky option than my long barreled 44mag. Might be nicer to carry on my hip for long back packing trips.? Opinions?

Thanks ahead of time for any help or experiences!

Default Still

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhunter View Post
    Has anyone out there fired one? How do you like it? What are your opinions of the Cartridge? Why does the XD version not use a compensator? Does anyone know if you can modify an EAA Witness 45 to 460 Rowland? The reason I ask is because it sounds like an interesting, less bulky option than my long barreled 44mag. Might be nicer to carry on my hip for long back packing trips.? Opinions?

Thanks ahead of time for any help or experiences!
    Still waiting for an answer to that question, TOO. It would be a much more compact package than even my 4" 44 mag and 25% less weight as well.Compact and automatic short barrelled versions would suffer some velocity loss as specs are listed for 5" barrells.
    Night firing a compensated pistol could cause night vision loss. Shoot one before you add a compensator.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default I'm seriously on the fence

I am almost sold on these things. I'm just not familiar with it and would like to get some feed back. I just think there aren't many of these guns out there and that is why there is such little information on them. Thanks for the info Bravo about the compensator. I was under the impression that the compensator became mandatory on the 1911 because of mechanical issues. Is that true or is just to keep the barrel down?

Default Compensator

Clark does the retro fit and sells 460 kits for 1911 style firearms. Thier kits are barrels fitted with brakes. I'm not sure that all handguns require comps and the ones built on XD's and M&P's don't have comps installed.
    I guess hoever you could put a comp on most handguns. Although by friend has a Glock 20 in 10mm and it came factory ported; shoots great but in the evening and night-time it destroys your night vision. My Glock 20 has some muzzle flash at night but nothing like his does. Yes, I know loading with the proper powders might/could reduce flash.But it would also reduce reloading options. Check the web there are numerous reports and tests on the 460 ALL positive! Lots of reloading data TOO (Just use it with little concern and take it with a grain of salt).
    If the EAA isn't a usable pistol for a 460. My next choice is the XD tactical and that will become my new carry gun.

Still waiting for an aswer on the EAA witness in 460 Rowland.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Clark does the retro fit and sells 460 kits for 1911 style firearms. Thier kits are barrels fitted with brakes. I'm not sure that all handguns require comps and the ones built on XD's and M&P's don't have comps installed.
    I guess hoever you could put a comp on most handguns. Although by friend has a Glock 20 in 10mm and it came factory ported; shoots great but in the evening and night-time it destroys your night vision. My Glock 20 has some muzzle flash at night but nothing like his does. Yes, I know loading with the proper powders might/could reduce flash.But it would also reduce reloading options. Check the web there are numerous reports and tests on the 460 ALL positive! Lots of reloading data TOO (Just use it with little concern and take it with a grain of salt).
    If the EAA isn't a usable pistol for a 460. My next choice is the XD tactical and that will become my new carry gun.

Still waiting for an aswer on the EAA witness in 460 Rowland.
    I don't see any reason why an EAA Witness won’t work. They are very similar to a double stack 1911 like a Para. If it can be done on a 1911 it should be doable on an EAA.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've done a fair amount of searching for first hand info on the use of the .460 in an XD and havent found much of interest other than it works and it's cooooooool.

Specifically, time tested effects comparing metal to a composite frame. I don't have a full framed XD but do have a 1911 that I've considered this for.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default 1911

I've got a SS 1911 Officers Model in 45, but it's not compatable with Clark kits and I love it just the way it is. I really want a light DA to carry in AK.
    I've considered the full-size P Carry EAA, polimer frame Witness as a candidate.