Thread: someone stealing kids snares

Default someone stealing kids snares

thouught I would put it over here also, it was near an area that alot of us frequent for rabbits. Maybe if you run into someone talking about finding about 6 rabbits laying around you can tell them whose they were. the sets were out there lass than 16 hours

I took my son out on Sat. to set a bunch of rabbit snares. He decided a few weeks ago this was gonna be a good spot when we were out there. I new I was in a hunted area so we went into the thick stuff. Today 6 snares still there. Six were gone. These six had hookups you could tell by the thrashing the brush took and the wear marks where they were tied up at. My son acted like it was no big deal and he would just find another spot. About five miles down the road he turned and said "that really sucks, I knew last night we had something". Someone obviously had their leatherman on them because you could see where the wires were cut at. We actually found one of the remaining parts in the trail. I say trail, as of last night it was two sets of tracks now it's a trail. I found the spot where the other persons tracks intersected ours and followed them back to a parking area and main trail. I hope someone feels good stealing from an 11 year old. I know I should have stayed away from people, but we hunt that area w/ guns for bunnies and only our tracks are ever in the thick stuff. This was where he thought he was gonna clean up on rabbits so I didn't discourage that area. He just wanted an area where he was doing his own thing away from mine and close enough that I could run him down there whenever he thought he might have something. He did get a muskrat 2 weks ago there. I hope some of you other guys taking your kids don't run into this. It makes it easier to trap and hunt close by with your kids, but unfortunately this is what we get to deal with. We finished the day setting a bunch of fox and mink sets in our other area alot farther out.

Angry Sorry to hear that

Its tough enough sometimes to get kids to enjoy the outdoors. Them to have some selfish, opportunistic jerk steal and destry your stuff just makes it worse for the kids' experience.
    Glad to hear your sets weren't a complete bust though.

Welcome to road trapping.It ain't going to get any better,in fact(like hunting),road trapping has steadily gotten worse the last 25 years!

Default porky snared

Im not much into snaring or trapping.If you do it fine,but for me i like to have the animal dispatched as quick as possible.But ,anyways,I was out one time and I found a Porcupine that was caught in a snare.It was around his neck area i believe and it had about 4 feet of slack behind it.Dont no if a rabbit snare could snare a porky ,but this guy was hooked.Anyways I couldnt leave the poor feller like that.I was walking at the time to my creek,I was carrying my 45-70,being spring time and thinking a bear could be around.So I took careful aim and shot the wire cable behind the porky to free him ,he then preceeded to climb the nearest tree,without even a Thank You.Dont no if he survived with cable around his neck,but there was no other way to free him...LOL.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    Im not much into snaring or trapping.If you do it fine,but for me i like to have the animal dispatched as quick as possible.But ,anyways,I was out one time and I found a Porcupine that was caught in a snare.It was around his neck area i believe and it had about 4 feet of slack behind it.Dont no if a rabbit snare could snare a porky ,but this guy was hooked.Anyways I couldnt leave the poor feller like that.I was walking at the time to my creek,I was carrying my 45-70,being spring time and thinking a bear could be around.So I took careful aim and shot the wire cable behind the porky to free him ,he then preceeded to climb the nearest tree,without even a Thank You.Dont no if he survived with cable around his neck,but there was no other way to free him...LOL.

And you broke the law in a majority of the states. Your just as bad as the person stealing the kids snares. Nothing but a thief.

Default hmmm

didnt no you could snare porky's legally.I wasnt trying to be an arse about it.It was right along a well used trail.Thought I was doing everyone a favor,including the porky and the would be trapper or whatever the setter was.Thank god my dog wasnt running loose.But whatever ,it was a long time ago.im over it.

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    I wasnt trying to be an arse about it. Thought I was doing everyone a favor,including the porky and the would be trapper or whatever the setter was. But whatever ,it was a long time ago.im over it.
    Shooting and destroying someone's private property and you wasn't trying to be an ass and doing him a favor? There was a tag on the snare with the owner's name, address, etc. You should have gotten a hold of the trapper to let him know that he had an animal in his snare if you wanted to do something. Maybe he was trapping porkies. Their quills are used for jewelry and crafts.

Next time you see a snare, leave it alone. It belongs to somebody. To bother it is a crime.

Default Picky

Dont pick and choose What You want to READ.......Look Again....A WELL USED TRAIL.....................................Was established long before snare master came along..I my self have used that trail for 30 years,with dogs running with me.SO move on.

Default set up a trail cam

and catch that guy...

Actually, he might find your cam and steal it too.

Not much you can do about thieves. Except that most thieves are lazy and won't hike very far. Maybe you can hike a little farther in and make some more sets.

I had a fox stolen out of my snare a couple weeks ago. It was too close to a snowmachine trail, (about 100 yds but within sight). I have had quite a bit of fur and traps stolen in the Jim Lake area. I quit trapping that area for that reason. I would hope that my traps weren't being taken by other outdoorsmen.

Default man that sucks

along time ago my dad set a trap out somewhere to cathch a fox he had tried to cathch a fox for a while then he went to his trap line and found fox bloode and hare ski tracks and no fox and since that day he never traped again we were gonna trap this year but we where to late but we did hunt i shot 2 rabbits sort of recently it was fun!! i freaked out when i did my dad said i looked like one of those guys that shoot a trophy bear hehe

Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
    thouught I would put it over here also, it was

near an area that alot of us frequent for rabbits. Maybe if you run into someone talking about finding about 6 rabbits laying around you can tell them whose they were. the sets were out there lass than 16 hours

I took my son out on Sat. to set a bunch of rabbit snares. He decided a few weeks ago this was gonna be a good spot when we were out there. I new I was in a hunted area so we went into the thick stuff. Today 6 snares still there. Six were gone. These six had hookups you could tell by the thrashing the brush took and the wear marks where they were tied up at. My son acted like it was no big deal and he would just find another spot. About five miles down the road he turned and said "that really sucks, I knew last night we had something". Someone obviously had their leatherman on them because you could see where the wires were cut at. We actually found one of the remaining parts in the trail. I say trail, as of last night it was two sets of tracks now it's a trail. I found the spot where the other persons tracks intersected ours and followed them back to a parking area and main trail. I hope someone feels good stealing from an 11 year old. I know I should have stayed away from people, but we hunt that area w/ guns for bunnies and only our tracks are ever in the thick stuff. This was where he thought he was gonna clean up on rabbits so I didn't discourage that area. He just wanted an area where he was doing his own thing away from mine and close enough that I could run him down there whenever he thought he might have something. He did get a muskrat 2 weks ago there. I hope some of you other guys taking your kids don't run into this. It makes it easier to trap and hunt close by with your kids, but unfortunately this is what we get to deal with. We finished the day setting a bunch of fox and mink sets in our other area alot farther out.

Default woops

this is my dads acount hehe woops

Quote Originally Posted by jlange View Post
    along time ago my dad set a trap out somewhere to cathch a fox he had tried to cathch a fox for a while then he went to his trap line and found fox bloode and hare ski tracks and no fox and since that day he never traped again we were gonna trap this year but we where to late but we did hunt i shot 2 rabbits sort of recently it was fun!! i freaked out when i did my dad said i looked like one of those guys that shoot a trophy bear hehe

geez stealing rabbits is about as low as it gets. I mean really? Rabbits?