Thread: Uganik Lake DB224

Default Uganik Lake DB224

Does anyone have any info on this area, I will be hunting oct 25- Nov 1 I have talked to Larry on Kodiak, just looking for any info or insight for bears and deer. Anyone that has been there and has some advice would be well appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

Default Uganik

My hunting partners and I hunted Uganik Lake in 2005, 2006, 2007. Each successive year the deer population seemed to be less and less, while the bear encounters we had grew. In 2007, over a period of a week, we had 9 bear encounters. In 2005, 3 of us shot 7 deer, in 2006, three of us shot 5 deer, and in 2007 I shot the only 2 deer we saw.

The Refuge has removed the old cabin at the north end pf the lake and has a new cabin closer to the south end.

Traditionally, there has been a guide's camp at the north end, so their moving the cabin (along with the fact that the old cabin was in pretty bad shape) is a good thing.

This year my hunting partner and I are trying a new location on the south end of the island.

Good luck! Report back....jim

Default uganik

Sent you a pm

Thanks for the report Jim I appreciate the info, We do have the cabin rented for that hunt. Good luck on the south end, I will get a report posted when we return!

Jim,

When you had the bear encounters, what time of year were you there, and where were you seeing the Bears???

Thanks in advance.

we stayed in the Cabin in Spring 07 - It was at South East End near the inlet of the lake and the cabin had been there for many years - there was talk of building a new one very near the old one, but not sure what transpired about that. Its . I have no idea what cabin Cliffhanger is referencing about it being at the N end, then moved etc...we didnt go up to the N end because the lake was still frozen over up there. The cabin was not in that bad of shape considering its use over the years.

you will see many bears, foxes, and lots of neato vegetation, but the big boars you are probably seeking wont be anywhere near the cabin - so be forewarned - be prepard to travel. Most of the bears there have seen alot of humans over the summer and will be somewhat habituated to them. As your reading the cabin log you will find that many of them have been named - including the resident fox that eats all your dolly entrails.

Perhaps cliffhanger in the one that wrote in the log about the local fox catching a bout of lead poisoning and being irritated about the bears and foxes being named by the greenies that visit there. Must have read those logs 20 times in the week we got stuck in that cabin with the snowstorms that pummelled us. Good comic relief!

Default Clarification

Sorry, I just looked at a topo again and the lake runs generally in an west to east direction with the east end being more northerly. The cabin we used was in the northwest end of the lake. I spoke with someone from the Refuge yesterday and they said they took down that cabin and put a new one on the southeast end of the lake (near its outlet). Hope that clarifies things a little.

Our trips there were from the end of Oct. into the first week of Nov. The bears were everywhere. Just about every new valley we walked into had very inquisitive bears either out in the open or in the brush. None were very aggressive although I did run into a sow with cubs when I was by myself that had my heart thumpin'. I don't go off alone anymore on Kodiak.

FOR SCULPIN: I have not received your PM....jim

FYI they tore down the old cabin and built a new one last year at the inlet end. Nice cabin! The bear guiding outfit that built the original cabin still hunts that end of the lake. No sign of a new cabin at the outlet as of last year. Deer were scarce too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Sorry, I just looked at a topo again and the lake runs generally in an west to east direction with the east end being more northerly. The cabin we used was in the northwest end of the lake. I spoke with someone from the Refuge yesterday and they said they took down that cabin and put a new one on the southeast end of the lake (near its outlet). Hope that clarifies things a little.

Our trips there were from the end of Oct. into the first week of Nov. The bears were everywhere. Just about every new valley we walked into had very inquisitive bears either out in the open or in the brush. None were very aggressive although I did run into a sow with cubs when I was by myself that had my heart thumpin'. I don't go off alone anymore on Kodiak.

FOR SCULPIN: I have not received your PM....jim
    Sorry, PM meant for 612er