Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gear?

Default New Gear?

Well, did anyone buy new gear this season? How did it work out? Any thoughts, regrets, recommendations, etc?

I bought a Hilleberg 10x10 tarp (the 10UL) from Barney's. It is awesome. I used this on my sheep hunt for a shelter for two nights in the rain. It worked great, went up in a flash, is very light and the stuff sack is built into the bag. I carry a few MSR ground hog stakes in case I need to anchor it to the ground. I found that I like the MSR stakes better than the Hilleberg model. I would definitely recommend this tarp to anyone that is looking for something like this.

I also bought a pack cover for my Barney's Pinnacle pack. I broke down and got the Kool-Dri model that Barney's sells and it worked great in Kodiak. I wish I had it on my sheep hunt a few weeks earlier. In fact this is why I decided to get it. After getting my pack wet (not the stuff inside that was in dry bags), I decided that I'd like to shave off a few pounds of soaking bag material. Definitely the way to go if you have a Barney's pack.

Brooks Range Jacket. I'm sold on this. I wasn't even close to cold on either of my hunts this year after buying this at the Sportsman's show in the spring. I'm glad I bought the hood as well. I didn't go with the camo version. Didn't think it was that important and it was a tiny bit heavier as well. I would recommend getting a compression stuff sack though. I got a regular stuff sack as recommended at Barney's. My friend has the same thing but with the compression sack. It is amazing how much more room he had after compressing all of his clothing and other items. My problem isn't really weight, it is now space. I'll be upgrading those this winter.

I also got the Mountain Hardware Compressor pants. This worked great for staying warm while spotting, early in the morning or late at night when I wasn't moving around. Nice to be able to remove them without taking my boots off.

Nikwax. I can't believe how much better this stuff works over the crap that AMH sold me. My boots (Lowa GTX hunter extreme)didn't even begin to look wet until the very end of the hunt. This was after a ton of creek crossings, mud, rain, wet brush, etc.

Hilleberg Tarra tent. Excellent.

BlackDiamond Trekking poles. I'm officially a 2 poler now and like it. They are aluminum and only have one flip lock. I really like only having one to deal with. I give them a thumbs up.

Merrell Expedition Boots. They fit good after I got them broke in. Had a few blister issues but on my Brooks Range walk in sheep hunt one of the eyelets busted clean off. Turns out 2 on each boot are made of some cheap metal. Beaver Sports took them back. I now have some LaSportiva Glaciers. They must have a different last than other LaSportivas I've tried on in the past. These ones aren't too narrow. I'll get some nixwax for these. Never have tried it.

220gr Sierra Gameking handloads for the 325wsm. (if they count). Shot my first animal with my first handloads which was also my first griz.

Default My new gear 2009

The biggest addition was a Barney's Freighter frame and Hunter pack bag in the kevlar material. Very Nice upgrade from the older internal frame packs I'd been using. I'm a guy that likes stuff on my belt handy for quick reference and easy of use. Thus I upgraded the Barney's frame with Kifaru accessory pockets on the waist belt and a 1000 cu. in. small pack bag beneath the cargo chair for rope, Game Bags, Therma Cell, Small amounts of trail food & Poncho. There's still enough room inside the small pack for my Katadyne water filter. My upgrades to the belt included a GPS pouch with Garmin Oregon 400T, a multi compartment pocket for: (matches, Gerber Multi-tool, Surefire 6P light, Blast Match, Fire tinder, and a Piranta Surgical Scapel knife); a pouch for my Digital camera, and a Liter Plus pouch for my Jetboil. The Kifaru quality of small accessory pouches compliments well the quality of the Barney's product. My thought was that I wanted the ability to remove the pack bag to haul quarters but still have enough gear attached to the pack so I didn't feel naked in the back country. I feel I'm there now. Best pack system I've ever used.

One other addition this year has been a Badlands Binocular pouch that I've modified to attach to the front chest straps of both the Barney's freighter pack system and the smaller Badlands Monster Fanny pack system that I hunt with. I really like the features of the Badlands Bino pack, such as the magnetic "No-Zipper" closure system and the little pocket inside that is just right for carrying a Topo Map and some lens cleaning papers. The bino pouch solves a minor problem of protecting the cleanliness of my glasses by keeping water, twigs and dirt from my glasses.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Wiggy's Glacier Hunter Sleeping bag: I liked it alot, it worked well, and performed well, although I didn't have as bad as weather you guys got that hit the Brooks this year. I guess I can't really say I put it to the test, but from using it on my hunt, it kept me warm, dry and comfy. Probably not as light as a down filled, but probably one of the lightest on the market for a synthetic. Packs well in its compression sack, and compresses quite small, this will be my bag for any mountain hunt here in Alaska...unless something better comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex1811 View Post
    My upgrades to the belt included a GPS pouch with Garmin Oregon 400T.

Ex1811, how has the Garmin 400T been for you?

Default New gear hmmm

Well I have been kind of a gear nut of the past two years, but the buying of gear has actually slowed which is a good thing. This year I've added quite a few little gems that I really like.

First is my new Hilleberg Nallo GT3. This thing is amazingly huge and comfy. Tons of space and held up fine in 50+ mph winds in the Kenai Mnts. Still less than 30 days in it so the price per night is still upwards of $20 though. Gotta put it to more use. But 25+ days in 6 months isn't too bad considering I'm gone half that time at work and I split my outdoor time with my other tents.

Next would be that GoLite Shangri-la 2. Actually this is my wife's favorite piece of gear. I do admit its really nice to get out of the wind and rain while on a day hunt to have some tea or instant taters on a rideline while away from camp. Comfy and a great little bivy shelter that gives you 50 sq ft of wind/rain free area and only requires trekking poles to set up.

The next would be the 10 lb wall tent. GoLite Shangri-La 8 with the Shangri-la 4 nest inside. HUGE setup with nearly 200 sq ft of area and able to stand up in. Plenty of area for 5 to sleep in the Shangri-la 4 nest and still be away from the bugs and the 100 sq ft vestibule is plenty for everyone to eat, store gear, cook, and change clothes even while standing up. I look forward to putting this setup to work on 4+ people backpacking trips in the future.

Next would be the bino pouches, I've purchased 5 of these total now for my family and friends. Super handy. Holds essentials like a lighter, extra ammo, video/digital camera, binos, permits, licenses, lens wipe and more. So handy to just have the bino free straps when I want to look through them.

Next is Neo River Trekkers. I bought 3 sets of these for msyelf, my wife, and my hunting buddy. Man these things are handy. Way nice when you are hiking around for moose in my favorite comfy hiking boots and come to a large wet swamp. Just pop these out of my day pack and slap them on over my boots and continue on. Sure beats walking around in hot and heavy traditional hip waders all day. Also really nice on the fly out trip to Kodiak to wear in the plane and then ferry gear to/from the shore to the plane.

But my most expensive gear upgrade was picking up a Kimber Montana in .308. With a 3-9X33 Leupold compact scope with 4 rounds in the magazine and a sling comes to 6.1 pounds. Which is less than my previous mountain gun weighed without a scope/sling/rings/ or anything in the mag. Also nice that now my wife and I can share ammo in the field for simplicities sake.

Also have a Glock 20 in 10mm on its way along with the 6" hunter barrel and the 6" slide to match. Look forward to plinking with this little bad boy.

My new backpacking/hiking protection is the Marlin 45/70 trapper edition. With only a 16 1/4" barrel when its strapped to the side of my pack its lower than the top of my pack so it doesn't get hung up in the alders. Plus since I spend most of my summer in Unit 13 its nice to knwo I can actually go intentionally hunt a grizz should i wish to do so. Granted not as fast as a handgun, but its nice and handy to have along.

Lastly, is a Thompson Contender I picked up. With the .410 barrel its a ptarmigan slaying machine. Tons of fun too. Also picked up a 7-30 waters barrel that I can't wait to try out on black bear and caribou as well as a .223 barrel that I'm looking forward to trying to take a fox/wolf out with while snowmaching this winter.

I think thats about it for gear purchases this year. On the docket for this coming year is a Polaris 6X6, a spray skirt for my packraft, and a TC contender frame for my wife so she can sport the .410 for birds and I can run the .223 while we are out on sno-gos.

Yeah I have a sickness for all that is outdoor gear related, but I don't think I'm the only one here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post

But my most expensive gear upgrade was picking up a Kimber Montana in .308. With a 3-9X33 Leupold compact scope with 4 rounds in the magazine and a sling comes to 6.1 pounds. Which is less than my previous mountain gun weighed without a scope/sling/rings/ or anything in the mag. Also nice that now my wife and I can share ammo in the field for simplicities sake.
    I'd be really interested to hear what you think of that Kimber Montana. Is that the 84M or the 8400? Any problems, wandering shots, poor group size, etc? I am thinking about getting a lighter rifle for my mountain hunts, but a friend of mine (my FFL) has heard some bad things about them. I'd like to be a little more sure about the purchase before laying down that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I'd be really interested to hear what you think of that Kimber Montana. Is that the 84M or the 8400? Any problems, wandering shots, poor group size, etc? I am thinking about getting a lighter rifle for my mountain hunts, but a friend of mine (my FFL) has heard some bad things about them. I'd like to be a little more sure about the purchase before laying down that kind of money.
    I've had two Kimbers so far. An 84M (308) and a 8400 (300WSM). Both feed wonderfully. No issues. I've hear the horror stories about Kimber rifles feeding poorly and wandering shots. But apparently I have had good luck with the two I purchased. Ended up selling my 300 WSM to purchase the 308 as I wanted a gun that was 1 lb lighter (5 lb 2 oz in 308 84M vs. 6 lb 3 oz in 300 WSM 8400 in addition to being able to shoot the same caliber as my wife for ammo savings and simplicity in the field.

My 308 is a tack driver for sure and from what I've seen out shoots both my wife's Rem. Model 7 308 and is in a neck and neck tie with my dad's Tikka T3 Lite in 308, but mine is a lb lighter. All in all I'm very happy with the purchase. Granted the gun ran me about $1K instead of around $550 or $600 or a Tikka T3 in 308, but the fit and finish on the Tikka can not begin to compare with that of the Kimber IMO. Both guns do their job. I just like how the Kimber fits in my hands and shoulder better than the Tikka as well as how the action feels.

If you would like we could meet up at Birchwood sometime and you could run a few rounds downrange with my Kimber and see if you need one. Granted I accept no reasonablilty for your sudden drop of the amount in your bank account afterwards. BTW, how'd Kodiak treat ya this year?

Default My choice for new gear of the year!!!

Almost forgot about my probably #1 choice for gear of the year. My NICE 6500 Mystery Ranch backpack. By far the most comfy pack with any amount of weight my little weakling legs can handle I have ever had (and I've had a few). It just works with my body so well. Also like the fact that I can swap out the pack to a smaller one like my wife's 5000 cu in pack if I desired or even a load sling for just meat hauls. Great little setup.

Bino pouch from AK guide creations can't say enough good things about it. I put it on in the morning and take it off to go to bed. It is supremely comfortable and the only way to carry bino's in the field. IT also rocks as an improvised rifle rest helping me poke a hole in my Goats vitals at over 300 yards

EAA witness 10mm. Hard to beat for the money in a 10mm. it packs much easier than my 44 redhawk and since I actually carry it is a much better option for me.

DPMS, Bushy, RRA, Stag AR 15....Yeah thats just one gun.... It is still in pieces but should be assembled in the next couple days. Ended up sick on assembly day and now I am behind on getting work done. I can't wait till range day for this one, I have a Nikon 2-7x32 to slap on top of it so it should be a handy little rig

Westcomb pants. These pants are the most comfortable thing I have found. They are not water proof but they do shed a good bit and dry extremely fast. 4 way stretch and block enough wind to be comfortable.

MontBel thermawrap. Thanks to the folks at AMH for having an XL in stock, I was shocked that it fit me and never would have ordered it online. Definately an "athletic" cut and not something that I will wear in town but it fits w/ no restriction of movement and is the perfect spike camp jacket

Sitka Ascent jacket. This has become my go to jacket. It is light enough to hike in, but unfortunately it doesn't dry quite as fast as I would have liked. It still wins my approval for being comfy enough to wear while busting raspberry bushes on Kodiak without the jacket or my arms getting shredded!

Merino wool. I have become nearly a total convert to merino wool, I can't find any place (except price) where poly is better. From sox to long johns and T-shirts merino wool is the only way to go!!

X-Officio under-britches the boxer cut rocks!! The underarmour boxers just don't dry fast enough leaving you with a cold hiney in your sleeping bag. The Ex-Officio have no such problem! Spendy but worth the added cost! The underwear are the only baselayer item that I prefer over merino!

E-Bivy... Never pulled it out of the packaging but it was great to have along for the added security. Especially as comfort when we made it back to spike camp 45 minutes after dark!

Neos-rivertreckers I don't have my own pair yet but they rocked for getting back accross the stream that was running extra high due to the snow melt off in the high temps. They also rocked for loading and unloading the Beaver

Jet-boil... nothing new but still rocks!

Glacier hunter from Marc Taylor. Lives up to the hype!! Go to sleep wet wake up dry and toasty! Stuff all of your wet gear in with you and wake up dry and toasty with DRY GEAR!! Hard to beat that!!

Dan McHale packs. Dan has proven to be a stand up guy and has been just fantastic to work with. I noticed that I didn't put a hip belt pocket in my order just a week before my hunt. I asked Dan about it and he just dropped one in the mail for me free of charge. I received it the day before I left and it was a great feature to have for hauling some extra trail snacks. My pack was the perfect rig for mountain hunting. I have owned a pinnacle pack and can honestly fit just as much stuff in this one. The side pockets are enormous and removable as is the back pocket. One of my favorite features is the roll top, it allows you to drop the pack lid and roll the pack up quite small. Then just fully tighten the compression straps and your monster pack is near daypack size! When ordering my pack I went back and forth on where to get the water bladder, Dan offers a pouch in the lid or a sleeve inside the pack. I ended up going with both.. This proved to be a great choice and I used both on the trip. I prefer to use the inside the pack sleeve but on 2 occasions we started our trip with very full packs and almost no water. By tossing the bladder in the lid I was able to get to it easily at our first stream crossing, fill it up and never had to unload the pack to do any of it! This was especially handy considering one of my loads consisted of 2 complete goat hides including the intact skulls! Do I know if it is a better pack than the Mystery ranch? Of course I think so it has features and a layout that I prefer, of course it should since I custom ordered it to my exact specifications. If I was to buy an off the shelf pack I would certainly give MR a hard look. It is not cheap in the world of packs but they are a good value IMHO. I wore one of them briefly and it didn't move as well with me as my McHale pack did but at 1/3 the cost it is a viable option. When compared to the McHale it is heavier and bulkier especially when empty, the McHale shrinks right down literally to the size of a day pack while the MR looks just like it did when it was full of goat meat. I will give credit to the MR packs for their ingenious load sling. The only down fall is that the load lifters are basically useless in that configuration. I still think it is a sweet option though and would rock for carrying 40-60lb loads of odd shaped stuff. I can't think of a better option for deer hunting than a MR load sling.

Katahoola 6pt crampons. I don't have much to say about them, at least they don't weigh too much cause they lived in my pack and I never did get strapped on to my boots.

AC 700efi No complaints w/ this quad got it for 5K with pretty much all of the important bells and whistles. It sure opened up some new territory to me this year! I still like to get off of it and put some hard time on the boot leather though!!

For me my next few pieces of gear will likely be new boots, a bivy, at least a shangri-la 2 if not an 8. Then it is up to packrafts for the wife and I as well as finally jumping into archery. I also keep checking out those darn guide guns.... That trapper rig of Alaska_Lanche's sure is sick!!

Default some

I got a couple new items this year that I really liked...

Hille Nallo GT3 - I only have 4 nights in it - so I don't want to calculate my nightly cost to date......it will go down.

Kifaru Longhunter - didn't go much past 75 pounds with it, but did some long trips (for me) with 65+ (26miles, and 24 miles) - it was nice on the shoulders, felt good, held up good - will see how it does with moose quarters in it next year.

6 point cramp ons - that arrived the day after I left for a sheep hunt - so not sure yet.

The only issue with this thread is that now I have to get some new gear...thanx!

Default Garmin 400T

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    Ex1811, how has the Garmin 400T been for you?
    Best GPS I've ever put to use. It's been a progression to get to where I'm at now with the Garmin Oregon 400T

I've had the GPS 12, years ago. That unit was just ok. It was my first foray into the world of GPS at a time when I was being dragged away from the traditional map and compass.

Next was the Garmin Rino 530. That thing was just too smart for me. I could never figure out how to manuever around the danged controls. Had to sell it since I was just not trainable for such a complicated device.

Last year I purchased the Garmin Oregon 400T and now feel confident that I can use it with some degree of competency. I really like the fact that I can interface with my computer, establish ponts at the computer and download back tot he handheld. I really like that fact that I can purchase and load 7 1/2 minute (1 to 24,000) scale maps from the computer to the handheld. It is an easy unit (software) to manuever around and is well thought out in it's design. Personally the only improvement I can think of making is to change from AA batteries to the Surefire CR123 3 volt lithium batteries. These are a high quality battery, with a lot of juice for their size and I use them for my head lamp. If the Garmin 400 T used these batteries then I'd only have to carry one type of spares....
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Almost forgot about my probably #1 choice for gear of the year. My NICE 6500 Mystery Ranch backpack. By far the most comfy pack with any amount of weight my little weakling legs can handle I have ever had (and I've had a few). It just works with my body so well. Also like the fact that I can swap out the pack to a smaller one like my wife's 5000 cu in pack if I desired or even a load sling for just meat hauls. Great little setup.
    Uh, righhhhht...says the guy who packs a caribou out 8 miles, serves as a pack mule for several hunts, and takes pics of the other guys (quite a ways behind) on the Kodiak goat hunt...

Weakling legs?? We're not buyin it Luke...

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Uh, righhhhht...says the guy who packs a caribou out 8 miles, serves as a pack mule for several hunts, and takes pics of the other guys (quite a ways behind) on the Kodiak goat hunt...

Weakling legs?? We're not buyin it Luke...

HAHA....Well compared to some like BRWNBR and Snyd I'm sure I'm not even getting started. Oh and the 'bou was 12 miles from the road.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    No feed problems with my 8400 325. It's a tack driver as well.

Back to this thread. I guess I left out a few things

Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt 4", simply rugged pancake holster
    Puma 92 levergun 454 Casull what a fun fun rifle.

And a new hobby... Boolit Casting and some of the stuff to do it.

My Kimber 8400 in .325 is a tack driver as well. I will likely buy a M84 in 7mm-08 for a mountain gun.

Gear Review:

Leica Ultravid HD 10x42s are outstanding. I have been using a pair of Steiners and they aren't comparable!!!!

Ditto on previous comments about the Westcomb paints. They rock!

Sporthill 3sp pants are extremely comfortable, block wind very well, are warm, and dry rediculously fast. The camo does fade easily, but that's due to the properties of the fabric which make it so fast drying.

Barney's Pinnacle served me well this year. No problems with lots of capacity and comfort.

Kahtoola Micrspikes are amazing. Everyone should have some. No exceptions. They are perfect for grassy or wet grassy slopes. The go on and off very easily and are holding up well so far.

Lekki trecking poles have made the mountains much easier to negotiate especially when going down!!!

Hilleberg Akto is an awesome 1 man tent. It goes up supper quick. I had problems with condensation at first until I figured out how to keep it vented. After that no problems. Very roomy and very light at 3lbs. 5 oz. You can also remove the inner tent and go ultralight at 2lbs. and change.

Coleman tripod with ball head is a great little tripod. Super light weight and the ball head requires only one tension screw. In addition there's a notch for glassing at extreme angles.

MSR pocket rocket has been fuel friendly and extremely compact and light weight. I haven't had to deal with lots of wind yet.

Leupold Euro 2-7x32mm has been a great add on to my Kimber. Very nice quality glass, but that's why all my rifles have Leupold. I liked it so much I bought a second one to go on my .375. I got the second one through Barney's at employee discounts, so Leupold automaticly puts your name on the scope. Mine reads "Dr. Brett A. Barringer". How sweat is that?

Ruger M77 African .375 Ruger. I had Stan Jackson do some work on the trigger and a new butt pad. I'm working up loads as we speak, so we'll see how she likes 300 grain TSX. So far I'm in love!!!!

Scarpa Liskamms are the bomb!!!! I wouldn't reccomend them for everything, but what they are made for they can't be beat!!! If you want a leather boot for verticle terrain then look no further. The ankle support is unmatched. The soles are also full shank, so they eat up the slopes. The craftsmanship is second to none. They are well put together and thought out. On the down side the require a long break in and can be hard on the feet. I automaticly put pads on the heels of my foot and life became much easier.

Brett

big suprises...and A+

MERINO WOOL...i've vote this one to the top as well, can't believe how much better than ploy this stuff is...i'm sold hard core.

CMI insteps, saved the bacon on 3 dudes on this last goat hunt, sidehilling all day long woulnd't have been possible.

big disapointments......

Sitka gear stormfront pants, leaks as we have discussed and now i've got wear holes in them and a few holes from brush..so much for waterproof or bombproof, we'll see how Sitka handle this at the end of the season..but so far not worth the money.

sitka Ascent pants...back and forth on this one. loved the pants dispointed in the quality, i've got wear holes on both legs from their reinforced patch they put on, only had the pants 4 months...not built for everyday use in the wilderness i don't think. built for once or twice a year guys...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I agree on the sitka gear, my biggest complaint is that my ascent pants aren't a solid color so I could at least wear them in town where they're safe...

MSR zing tarp, basically their outfitter wing in a 6lb package. Well worth the weight in groups of three or more backpacking/ backpack hunting. Drops to more like 2.5 lbs if you can leave the poles behind as on a float trip. Carried it something like 100 miles this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    MERINO WOOL...i've vote this one to the top as well, can't believe how much better than ploy this stuff is...i'm sold hard core.
    I forgot to add Merino Wool to the list. A+ as well.

Brett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast