Thread: Alaska Water Wise Boating Course

Post Alaska Water Wise Boating Course

November 14, 2009
    10am-6pm
    Located in the REI Event Room, REI Store, Anchorage

Please Register: 269-6042 or megan.piersma@alaska.gov

This course is approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) and recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard. The course satisfies most states boating safety education requirements and may even qualify boaters for boat insurance discounts. Segments include pre-departure preparation, boating operations, boating emergencies, cold-water survival, navigation/rules of the road, and legal requirements. This course is FREE and all are invited to attend. Those that pass the written exam and skills will be issued a course completion certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Boat View Post
    November 14, 2009
    10am-6pm
    Located in the REI Event Room, REI Store, Anchorage

Please Register: 269-6042 or megan.piersma@alaska.gov

Thanks for the info!

I attended this (I think it was this) a few years ago. I recommend it. Also recommend taking your spouse if she boats with you because if there's an emergency on the boat then maybe she'll know what to do because chances are if she hasn't listened to you in the past when you've tried to give her safety/boating information then hopefully she'll have listened to the instructor!!

Default Very Good Thing

I have done along with some others more advanced with USCG, and Learn to Return. Think it's very important to give safety breifing each time some one new go out with us. Wife is competent now to use GPS, Radio and get help or return on her own. How to use on a beautiful alaskan day helps, but give it to her in the dence fog or complete dark is way more of a lesson.
    Planning and planning for something to go wrong is important.

Default Planning to attend

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Also recommend taking your spouse if she boats with you because if there's an emergency on the boat then maybe she'll know what to do because chances are if she hasn't listened to you in the past when you've tried to give her safety/boating information then hopefully she'll have listened to the instructor!!
    I started one of the USCG classes some years ago..(maybe 10-12) but my work schedule is so weird I wasn't able to complete it. I still have the book. I have taken some of those online classes and done lots of reading. I have signed my wife and I up for the one mentioned in this thread. She is pretty competent with handling the boat and can read the chart plotter. She's a good first mate when it comes time to launch and dock. But she has been wanting to attend a class for a while.

Last fall the 16 hr (?) USCG class was presented in two long days on a weekend in the Valley. Unfortunately I found out too late and could not arrange for us to attend. I emailed the lady who ran it, or at least coordinated it, asking to be put on the list for the next one that came up. Anyone know who she is or heard if there will be another one this year?

Default Class in the valley

I'd be interested in a course if there were to be one out in the valley over a couple of days for sure...

Default Contact for classes

Try Monika Renke at 376-8272 or Dean Terencio (Anchorage) at 345-1654. PM, post or call if you have difficulty getting in touch with them, thanks! Mike 463-2297