Thread: Ski Doo Gearing Change ?

Default Ski Doo Gearing Change ?

I have a 96 Touring 500 SLE, which I love. I would like a slightly lower gear ration since lately I have been towing some.

It has, of course, the old style reverse with a pull-out handle next to your right knee.

Does anyone have some experience with these gearboxes? I need to get in it and change the chain anyway, is it feasible to drop a tooth on the input shaft? Or add one on the output side?

Anyone done this? thanks....

I would not change gears. I had the same problem and change the weights.

changing gears is very common and the results are good...I've never tinkered with a machine like yours but it cant be much different with your reverse setup....I dropped a tooth on the top gear and went up a tooth on the bottom one....much snappier and the belt runs much much cooler....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I upped the ratio on my Fusion 600 and if you make sure your ratio works with your stock chain, this can be done VERY inexpensively. Plus, if I can do it, anyone can...

Like tjm said, this made the 'ol 600 much more snappy on the low end...

Hunt AK you mean don't change the ration so much that the tensioner can't take up the slack?

ratio is not quite what you need to worry about....basically if you decrease the size of a sprocket you'll need to tighten the tensioner a bit, and you'll have a little sharper angle....if you decrease a sprocket too much in size you'll need a shorter chain....you can probably get away with at least a tooth or two without needed a new chain....likewise in reverse if you increase the bottom sprocket size...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

OK I think I get it. In your case when you dropped a tooth on the drive end and added one on the driven end, you must have re-used the same chain?

I want a new chain anyway after the abuse I put this one through hauling moose out last winter, but it would make the whole mod process go smoother to be able to use a stock length one.

Hopefully various sizes of drive and driven sprockets are available- Is one tooth smaller on the drive and one larger on the driven a pretty place to start?